2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Antonelli exclusive on his meteoric rise to F1: "I'm not afraid of being judged"

In his first major interview, Andrea Kimi Antonelli talks to Motorsport.com about his rapid rise through the ranks and
the prospect of succeeding Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... /10643093/
The Power of Dreams!

Jurgen von Diaz

Wouter wrote:
Antonelli exclusive on his meteoric rise to F1: "I'm not afraid of being judged"

In his first major interview, Andrea Kimi Antonelli talks to Motorsport.com about his rapid rise through the ranks and
The kid is going to have a hard time pairing alongside Russell and then perhaps with Verstappen and f the car is a winning/championship machine, oh boy. It's way more brutal than what rookie-Hamilton or rookie-Verstappen faced. Hamilton got straight into a winning car alongside a brutal teammate Alonso, but Hamilton was mature and had well-prepaired six years in single-seaters and no testing limit before the season. Verstappen was a child with one year of experience in single-seaters, but his car was a midfielder and his teammate was also a rookie.

bluechris

Also there was no budget cap in the old days, now it's impossible to destroy the car race after race like verstapen did in his early days.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
11 Aug 2024, 10:14
Wouter wrote:

The kid is going to have a hard time pairing alongside Russell and then perhaps with Verstappen and f the car is a winning/championship machine, oh boy. It's way more brutal than what rookie-Hamilton or rookie-Verstappen faced. Hamilton got straight into a winning car alongside a brutal teammate Alonso, but Hamilton was mature and had well-prepaired six years in single-seaters and no testing limit before the season. Verstappen was a child with one year of experience in single-seaters, but his car was a midfielder and his teammate was also a rookie.
I don't know how different Antonelli is to Piastri in terms of talent. Let's assume, he is as good as Piastri. In his first year, Piastri was a close match to Lando on Saturdays, but was falling quite far behind on Sundays. This year, that trend continued for most part of the first half, but Piastri seemed to be getting closer to Lando on race pace for the past few races. A proven junior talent, a close match to his senior team mate, not very close on Sundays, yet. That's life in Pirelli era. Regardless of his one lap pace, Antonelli would still most likely go through Piastri's experience/learning curve and be behind George for a season or two on race pace, until he understand the black art of tyres that can only come with experience.

George spent 3 season in Williams and that helped him understand tyres. In his Mercedes life, he has been running close to Lewis, sometimes behind and sometimes ahead on race pace. Antonelli would have his learning, but I would rather have him learn that in a Mercedes, than a Williams. Nothing motivates to push his own ceiling while having a competitive car and that could fast track his learning. I am not expecting miracles from Antonelli. 2007 is not possible with Pirellies, even Lewis couldn't have done it.

Jurgen von Diaz

Dunlay wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
I don't know how different Antonelli is to Piastri in terms of talent. Let's assume, he is as good as Piastri. In his first year, Piastri was a close match to Lando on Saturdays, but was falling quite far behind on Sundays. This year, that trend continued for most part of the first half, but Piastri seemed to be getting closer to Lando on race pace for the past few races. A proven junior talent, a close match to his senior team mate, not very close on Sundays, yet. That's life in Pirelli era. Regardless of his one lap pace, Antonelli would still most likely go through Piastri's experience/learning curve and be behind George for a season or two on race pace, until he understand the black art of tyres that can only come with experience.

George spent 3 season in Williams and that helped him understand tyres. In his Mercedes life, he has been running close to Lewis, sometimes behind and sometimes ahead on race pace. Antonelli would have his learning, but I would rather have him learn that in a Mercedes, than a Williams. Nothing motivates to push his own ceiling while having a competitive car and that could fast track his learning. I am not expecting miracles from Antonelli. 2007 is not possible with Pirellies, even Lewis couldn't have done it.
The 17-year-old Antonelli hype is so massive, and there will be a huge risk of cracking if the car is immediately championship material and you have Russell as a teammate. It would be much better to get used to F1 in Williams, where you are not in the spotlight. I mean, if Pérez with a fresh contract in his pocket is struggling because of the pressure in a championship car, what could that do to an 18-year-old rookie?

PlatinumZealot

Cocles wrote:
11 Aug 2024, 07:36
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Aug 2024, 01:35
If Mercedes are strong by 75% of the season and RedBull is stil bringing upgrades that means the 2025 championship fight is on.... If RedBull stop bringing upgrades by then that means they have a rocketship for 2025 and no one will challenge them.
Or it means Red Bull have hit their budget cap for further developing the RB20. Merc have had fewer cars to rebuild this season than RB.
They will simply not bring parts for Sergio if it goes in that direction. 2023 was a lesson that RedBull could still develop intensely while being very efficient in spending.

The question is how does labour and manufacturing cost compare to research and development ( including testing costs).. sergio chucking cars into the barrier might also be budgeted for too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Aug 2024, 00:10
Cocles wrote:
11 Aug 2024, 07:36
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Aug 2024, 01:35
If Mercedes are strong by 75% of the season and RedBull is stil bringing upgrades that means the 2025 championship fight is on.... If RedBull stop bringing upgrades by then that means they have a rocketship for 2025 and no one will challenge them.
Or it means Red Bull have hit their budget cap for further developing the RB20. Merc have had fewer cars to rebuild this season than RB.
They will simply not bring parts for Sergio if it goes in that direction. 2023 was a lesson that RedBull could still develop intensely while being very efficient in spending.

The question is how does labour and manufacturing cost compare to research and development ( including testing costs).. sergio chucking cars into the barrier might also be budgeted for too.
It would seem probable that except for the main chassis most other parts would have a life of just a few races before a modified issue is needed. They gain nothing from keeping outdated parts in stock, so smash 'em or switch them and dump them is probably little difference. The likelihood is new parts go to max and are handed down to Checo later anyway. (Passing thought, is there an outside expenses account to manufacture parts for legacy or other older vehicles?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

There was a feature on life of parts in F1. Can't remember if it was Williams or Mercedes team factory being festured. But thw gist of it was that with the new budget resteictions, parts are being used for more races than before. Wish I could find the video!

Obviously aluminum has to be thrown away due to lacking any true fatgue life, but titaniums stuff can see extended use. Wheels for examlple is some sort of magnesium alloy. Those are being used for more races now. I think* a Chassis can see out a whole season now too. We saw a team... Was it sauber or alpine using refurbished turbo piping to save a bit of cash! Cant remember what part is was though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Aug 2024, 19:12
There was a feature on life of parts in F1. Can't remember if it was Williams or Mercedes team factory being festured. But thw gist of it was that with the new budget resteictions, parts are being used for more races than before. Wish I could find the video!

Obviously aluminum has to be thrown away due to lacking any true fatgue life, but titaniums stuff can see extended use. Wheels for examlple is some sort of magnesium alloy. Those are being used for more races now. I think* a Chassis can see out a whole season now too. We saw a team... Was it sauber or alpine using refurbished turbo piping to save a bit of cash! Cant remember what part is was though.
Do you recall was there much of a life for suspension components? Most now seem to be fibre with inset metal, so I would assume it would be a limited life even with regular testing. I had in mind the "bits" that suffer most in a accident rather than internal parts which would (hopefully) be damaged les often. Front wings and "fiddly bits" underneath seem to differ from race to race so may be modified even if not damaged. Hard to keep track unless an expert looks at them Though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

cheeRS
cheeRS

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
Wouter wrote:

I have to disagree (politely) with you there. Russell is a two time race winner. Alonso was a sitting double world champion who was in his prime. Testing limits and more time in single seaters helped, but testing is not racing and talent is talent. No one unbiased really believes Hamilton only did well because he got to test more than current drivers do. Arguably, cars then were harder to drive and took more skill anyway if you listen to guys like Alonso who drove both. Anyway, that's getting too deep into the weeds.

Verstappen had a season in a midfielder car, but he instantly performed the moment stepped into a car with winning potential. How much time did he have in that car? Not much, if any. That's what the best drivers do and have always done - they perform from day 1. Heck, look at Bearman and what he did on a super difficult circuit with next to no time in the Ferrari.

My point is, IF Kimi is really the next Verstappen/Hamilton/Schumi/Senna, he'll match or beat Russell. Maybe not on race 1 or even race 5, but he'll be there. If he's overhyped, then we'll know that, too. A generational talent isn't going to get brutalized by ... George Russell.
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

Jurgen von Diaz

cheeRS wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
I have to disagree (politely) with you there. Russell is a two time race winner. Alonso was a sitting double world champion who was in his prime. Testing limits and more time in single seaters helped, but testing is not racing and talent is talent. No one unbiased really believes Hamilton only did well because he got to test more than current drivers do. Arguably, cars then were harder to drive and took more skill anyway if you listen to guys like Alonso who drove both. Anyway, that's getting too deep into the weeds.

Verstappen had a season in a midfielder car, but he instantly performed the moment stepped into a car with winning potential. How much time did he have in that car? Not much, if any. That's what the best drivers do and have always done - they perform from day 1. Heck, look at Bearman and what he did on a super difficult circuit with next to no time in the Ferrari.

My point is, IF Kimi is really the next Verstappen/Hamilton/Schumi/Senna, he'll match or beat Russell. Maybe not on race 1 or even race 5, but he'll be there. If he's overhyped, then we'll know that, too. A generational talent isn't going to get brutalized by ... George Russell.
Verstappen wasn't championship material when he entered F1 at 17 years old. He was fast but error-prone. Imagine if he had had to fight for the title at that time?

No rookie has jumped into a championship-capable car since Hamilton. That same car might be in Antonelli's hands next season, but the thing is, he is very young and not as mature as rookies were ~20 years ago and well-prepared.

And if you say Russell is easy-peasy compared to Alonso 2007, Hamilton himself has had a hard time with that same Russell since 2022 and you think Russell shouldn't be problem for 18-year old rookie?

cheeRS
cheeRS

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
13 Aug 2024, 20:11
cheeRS wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

Verstappen wasn't championship material when he entered F1 at 17 years old. He was fast but error-prone. Imagine if he had had to fight for the title at that time?

No rookie has jumped into a championship-capable car since Hamilton. That same car might be in Antonelli's hands next season, but the thing is, he is very young and not as mature as rookies were ~20 years ago and well-prepared.

And if you say Russell is easy-peasy compared to Alonso 2007, Hamilton himself has had a hard time with that same Russell since 2022 and you think Russell shouldn't be problem for 18-year old rookie?
I won't bother arguing that Alonso in 2007 was a tougher teammate than Russell in 2022-2025. 99% feel one way, and 1% are deceived. :wink:

Anyhow, Merc should put Kimi in next year. The bar hasn't been set very high. Look at how 'well' Perez has done all the years that he's been in a championship winning car, lol. If Merc has a championship winning car next year and Kimi utterly fails, there are plenty of drivers, young and old, waiting to fill the seat. And if Russell is as good as some say, he'll wrap up the WDC in a car like that anyway. WCC always plays second fiddle to WDC as per status quo.
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

Jurgen von Diaz

cheeRS wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
13 Aug 2024, 20:11
cheeRS wrote:

I won't bother arguing that Alonso in 2007 was a tougher teammate than Russell in 2022-2025. 99% feel one way, and 1% are deceived. :wink:

Anyhow, Merc should put Kimi in next year. The bar hasn't been set very high. Look at how 'well' Perez has done all the years that he's been in a championship winning car, lol. If Merc has a championship winning car next year and Kimi utterly fails, there are plenty of drivers, young and old, waiting to fill the seat. And if Russell is as good as some say, he'll wrap up the WDC in a car like that anyway. WCC always plays second fiddle to WDC as per status quo.
Toto has his Vietnam flashbacks about a missed opportunity to hire teenage Verstappen, so he has to take the risk now or never to get his own Verstappen. But I'm afraid that it's too soon and too much for Antonelli if the car is championship material. I have always left thinking, what about Vandoorne. If he had had another opportunity somewhere else against someone other than Alonso, would he have been the superstar he was supposed to be.

Perez and Red Bull has nothing to do with racing. Just business as usual.

Lasssept

Andrew Crook, "Head of Data Quality" --> "Head of R&D Engineering".
Emiliano Giangiulio, "Head of Vehicle Performance Group" --> "Head of Vehicle Dynamics Group".
Matt Wilkin, "Principal Vehicle Dynamicist" --> "Head of Tyre Group".
David Kao, "Head of Performance Simulation" --> "Chief Engineer - Performance Capability".
Andrew Muir, "Senior Simulation Engineer" --> "Lead Performance and Simulation Engineer".

https://x.com/Reel_Sarix_/status/1823435094415265899

hollus

Please do not turn the forum into my-driver-is-faster-than-your-driver noise.
If your post kind of fits into that category… wrong forum, help everyone else and skip it. Thanks.
We all conme here for the hardware first, not for the driver yin-yang. Right? (I hope it is right!).
Rivals, not enemies.