2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lasssept

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

According to formu1auno, Kimi Antonelli has signed a multi-year contract with Mercedes.

Bonnington is now likely to become Antonelli’s race engineer, having already worked with him during recent tests at Spa.

https://formu1a.uno/it/kimi-antonelli-h ... -di-pista/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mercedes rear tire temperature problems (remember 2010-2016)
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... m-24081506

This was the problem that James Allison fixed when he joined Mercedes for 2017. In my opinion, Mercedes is going to have a rocket ship next year.

K1Plus
K1Plus

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Aug 2024, 03:34
Mercedes rear tire temperature problems (remember 2010-2016)
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... m-24081506

This was the problem that James Allison fixed when he joined Mercedes for 2017. In my opinion, Mercedes is going to have a rocket ship next year.
This same problem came back on the 22-23 cars. James knows how to lead a technical team.
While he isn't the one designing the parts, he can guide the team with his vision and his team leadership knowhow.

atanatizante

An italian YouTuber is claiming that the mechanical issue they had at Spa were due to trying to implement the new dammper, this time around for the car's rear suspension ... anyone could back this info or it's just another rumour?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

cplchanb
cplchanb

atanatizante wrote:
19 Aug 2024, 17:40
An italian YouTuber is claiming that the mechanical issue they had at Spa were due to trying to implement the new dammper, this time around for the car's rear suspension ... anyone could back this info or it's just another rumour?
italian, and youtuber... the 2 most reliable sources you can have in the F1 world.... :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I know that this is old news, but can anyone explain Toto Wolff's muted expression after Russell just crossed the finish line first in Belgium? At that point, he could not have known that Russell was underweight.

It reminded me of the days when Bottas would win races. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but I do not see the strong connection between George Russell and Toto Wolff which could explain a lot of things.

PlatinumZealot

Yes he would know. The car has sensors all over.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 01:58
I don't think that's true. There is no way to measure the weight of the unsprung masses with onboard sensors. They wouldn't have known exactly how much rubber had been removed from the tires or how much material had been removed from the brake disk and pads.

It is possible to develop an empirical model of the mass reduction based on mileage (for brakes and tires), but if they already knew, they would not have (a) let him do the 1 stop or (b) let them fight at the end of the race.

It all points to Mercedes not knowing they were underweight. So Toto's expression is consistent with before. He has always had a stronger connection with Hamilton.

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 02:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 01:58
I don't think that's true. There is no way to measure the weight of the unsprung masses with onboard sensors. They wouldn't have known exactly how much rubber had been removed from the tires or how much material had been removed from the brake disk and pads.

It is possible to develop an empirical model of the mass reduction based on mileage (for brakes and tires), but if they already knew, they would not have (a) let him do the 1 stop or (b) let them fight at the end of the race.

It all points to Mercedes not knowing they were underweight. So Toto's expression is consistent with before. He has always had a stronger connection with Hamilton.
It is normal that the teams know how much tyre thread is consumed. The rest is found by sensors even unsprung mass.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Raleigh
Raleigh

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 23:59
I know that this is old news, but can anyone explain Toto Wolff's muted expression after Russell just crossed the finish line first in Belgium? At that point, he could not have known that Russell was underweight.

It reminded me of the days when Bottas would win races. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but I do not see the strong connection between George Russell and Toto Wolff which could explain a lot of things.
Lewis qualified ahead, took the lead in style, commanded the whole race and then George beat him by getting gifted a better strategy (the same strategy Lewis had asked to use because he was confident the tyres could go to the end without dropping off).

Regardless of knowing anything about the potential DSQ that was going to be a really painful conversation.

Jurgen von Diaz

Raleigh wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Lewis qualified ahead, took the lead in style, commanded the whole race and then George beat him by getting gifted a better strategy (the same strategy Lewis had asked to use because he was confident the tyres could go to the end without dropping off).

Regardless of knowing anything about the potential DSQ that was going to be a really painful conversation.
At that point, a one-stopper was a risky strategy, while a two-stopper was the mainstream strategy. Lewis did not ask for a one-stopper; he said the tires were good. He was in the lead, and Mercedes pitted him against Leclerc, as you should when you want to protect your lead and not play risky games just for fun. At that point, if Mercedes had left Lewis on the track, Lewis probably would have thrown his team under the bus, and the conspiracy theories would have arisen again.

Quantum

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 06:47
Raleigh wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

At that point, a one-stopper was a risky strategy, while a two-stopper was the mainstream strategy. Lewis did not ask for a one-stopper; he said the tires were good. He was in the lead, and Mercedes pitted him against Leclerc, as you should when you want to protect your lead and not play risky games just for fun. At that point, if Mercedes had left Lewis on the track, Lewis probably would have thrown his team under the bus, and the conspiracy theories would have arisen again.
100%.
The LH Ultras would've nuked the the team with either strategy.
Longer laps with bigger undercuts forced Merc to pit their best hope of a win to retain the lead from LeClerc.
That it transpired Russell could keep going surprised everyone, amusing that some sections think it was planned. :lol:
"Interplay of triads"

erudite450
erudite450

Guys, let it go. Move on. If I want to read tribal war, I go to the race threads.

zubster
zubster

erudite450 wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 09:53
Guys, let it go. Move on. If I want to read tribal war, I go to the race threads.
Agree, just like the current race thread is having an argument about previous race directors... :roll:

Lasssept

Pete ‘Bono’ Bonnington won’t be going with Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari, as he’s been promoted at Mercedes.

He’s now Head of Race Engineering, and will continue to engineer Hamilton until end of 2024. Will also engineer a driver in 2025.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/pete-bonn ... lton-split