2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 20:59
Translated from the Dutch Telegraaf. Subscription needed.
https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/17234285 ... -zandvoort

Red Bull and Max Verstappen continue searching, Friday important 'test day' with modified car in Zandvoort

Before the summer break it was already clear that behind the scenes at Red Bull they are working hard to make the RB20 a bit more 'predictable' again. "Everyone is busy with that. Hopefully we will get some answers this weekend", says Verstappen, who in addition to his media obligations on Thursday in Zandvoort was mainly busy with an event for sponsor Heineken and recordings for the international branch of ESPN with PSV'er Sergiño Dest.

When asked, Verstappen tries to explain where the problems he is talking about lie. It is known that he looks much further than just the World Cup standings. Because he is very triumphantly in the lead, his lead over Lando Norris is no less than 78 points.

"If a car doesn't feel right and you don't have the right balance, you can't attack the corners properly. And to get the most out of a lap, everything has to be right. I don't think we've had the fastest car for six or seven races now. But I actually did pull ahead in the standings during that period, which is positive. And I also know that everything behind me has to go perfectly to close that gap. On the other hand, I can also drop out and then the gap can become a lot smaller. It remains a mechanical sport."

It is interesting that Verstappen was even more satisfied with his current car at the start of the season than the RB19 in which he drove to 21 victories last year. So something must have gone wrong somewhere. At Red Bull, they are trying to get to the bottom of that, in consultation with Verstappen among others. In the past period – apart from the mandatory two-week closure of the factory during the summer break – certain parts have been remanufactured and some adjustments have been made here and there. Verstappen will try out as much as possible 'on' his car during the training sessions on Friday, if the possible rain and strong wind allow it, to see what works.

"I have always said that I always liked the car at the beginning of this year, the balance too, and that we have therefore continued to develop well," says the Limburger. "After that we took a certain turn and it all became a bit more difficult. I don't want to say that the car is slower, but it is more difficult to drive. On some circuits you prefer a slightly slower car, which is more predictable, to be able to go to the maximum. Yes, normally also here in Zandvoort."

Have mistakes been made? Have the upgrades of the past months been downgrades? Verstappen thinks that is too easy. "You could say that it became more difficult for us after the fourth race in China. But since then, a lot of positive, well-functioning parts have been added to the car. But that may have also revealed things that we didn't expect. When new parts are added to a car, you always get a slightly different balance. It is now up to us to analyse that and see if there is something that doesn't work somewhere in those upgrades."

Verstappen can't say too much in detail in public, of course, but it is clear that various modified things will be tried out on Friday to see if that can give him a push in the right direction. And not just him, but especially his struggling teammate Sergio Pérez.
Verstappen: "Checo was always in a good position at the start of the season. The car was easier to drive then. I also told the team that if the car is a bit easier to control, it will also help him. So then it's plus-plus."
If he was not being pushed hard by Mclaren and Merc he would not have to drive so close to the edge and would probably be happy with it. Not having that margin away from being on the edge means less scope to "drive around" problems.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

Big Tea wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 21:37
If he was not being pushed hard by Mclaren and Merc he would not have to drive so close to the edge and would probably be happy with it. Not having that margin away from being on the edge means less scope to "drive around" problems.
Yeah sure. But that's why he is Verstappen, he can push to the max. He's rather good!

The bigger question is could Ricciardo push to the max in the second car in a better way than Perez can? :?:

Us Formula One fans enjoy watching drivers push 110% in cars that are difficult, no? :) Much more exciting than someone cruising at 90% in a car that's dominant!

Edit -- For Red Bull fans, being a slower car will make it much sweeter when Red Bull takes the odd hard fought victory, much like 2014-2020 days, no?

TNTHead

Unless they gave found pace overnight and VER does a mega lap I suspect based on FP1 and FP2 that pole position is out of reach. I expect the Mercs again on the front row.

Sergej
Sergej

seems the rain is gone, not sure it's good news for us

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Better than expected, but that Mclaren is in another formula. P2 is a great starting spot for damage limitation.

Sergej
Sergej

good P2 but man, over three tenths ! it hurts

Juzh

Once again mclaren proves peak DF is not the thing to hunt in these regs. They were slower in all high speed corners, but faster in just about all sub 200 kmh, which is the majority of them and you spend more time in those corners.
Tommorow it'll be a race with piastri, i dont believe norris can lose this unless he hits some serious trouble

organic

P2 will be a good result tomorrow. Hopefully Max can give Norris some trouble at T1 and maybe he can tumble down the order again.

At least the car seems clear of Mercedes here. Starting P2 is much better than I expected coming into the weekend

organic

Helmut Marko
"I think we went in the right direction. It still looked very good up to T12. Max lost 1.5 to 2.5 tenths there, hence the relatively large gap for this track."

"But the car as a whole is calmer. That also means for the race that tyre wear will probably be better now."

"At least we have split the McLaren cars. We are satisfied, even if not completely."

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

the car as a whole is calmer
A car with no front end can be described as calm.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 18:00
the car as a whole is calmer
A car with no front end can be described as calm.
for sure, but it doesn't sound like they set the car up intending to get pole and then didn't get it. It sounds like they went in a direction that would make the car more settled

Nevertheless we knew the McLaren would be faster on this sort of circuit (if not every sort?)

Verstappen maybe more realistic
Verstappen said: " We lacked a bit of pace , I tried to do my best and I'm happy with the front row. The balance of the car is not the best , the car is not easy to drive and it seemed to be affected a lot by the gusts of wind. Every lap was different from the other. I would like to say that tomorrow I hope to win, but with more than 3 tenths of a gap it is difficult"
“We’ve been having difficulties for about seven races now. We’re trying to understand how to improve the situation , but there’s no magic button that changes things. We’re trying

ME4ME

If you forsee tyre wear to be a major factor in sundays race than i guess it makes sense to go high-downforce (VER) and a slightly understeery setup.

In Perez case they might've expected him to qualify around his usual P10 so put him on a lower downforce setup to aid overtaking.

But however one looks at it, Red Bulls car performance is disappointing, their Hungary update doesn't seem to do much and their year-on-year relative Zandvoort progress is shocking.

Wouter

organic wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:56
Helmut Marko
"I think we went in the right direction. It still looked very good up to T12. Max lost 1.5 to 2.5 tenths there, hence the relatively large gap for this track."

"But the car as a whole is calmer. That also means for the race that tyre wear will probably be better now."

"At least we have split the McLaren cars. We are satisfied, even if not completely."
Max: "To be honest, I did expect that the other McLaren would also be ahead. So in itself I'm happy with that second place. We just have to be realistic that it's not in the cards at the moment. Also in qualifying it was just quite difficult to drive a good lap. Very sensitive with the wind and balance was just very difficult. So yes, there just wasn't more in it."

When Verstappen was asked what he was suffering from, he joked: " upside-down steering.
Oversteer, understeer, as Rudy said. All in different spots of the track, so that was fun. No, it wasn't. It was sarcastic."
The Power of Dreams!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Wouter wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:01
organic wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:56
Helmut Marko

Max: "To be honest, I did expect that the other McLaren would also be ahead. So in itself I'm happy with that second place. We just have to be realistic that it's not in the cards at the moment. Also in qualifying it was just quite difficult to drive a good lap. Very sensitive with the wind and balance was just very difficult. So yes, there just wasn't more in it."

When Verstappen was asked what he was suffering from, he joked: " upside-down steering.
Oversteer, understeer, as Rudy said. All in different spots of the track, so that was fun. No, it wasn't. It was sarcastic."

I think Ver was talking about the wind there. In theory, the car will become more settled on full fuel, and the wind should not be as bad tomorrow. I don't think that's enough to beat Mclaren.

I don't know why my comment is showing italics.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!