2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sergej
Sergej

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 17:24
Sergej wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 17:08
but what was the point of having Max running an old floor while Perez has the latest ? doesn't seem to have payed off, maybe it was even slower seeing how Perez performed....did they use this race to experiment and find a new development path ?
The old floor is a reference point for new developments.
these new developments could arrive at Austin in two months, with a 4-week stop after Singapore, which means Max has to hold on for three races (Monza, Baku, Singapore), maybe affording 20-30 points lost

resuming at Austin with 40-50 point gap, 6 races to go and a win capable car would be good, but those developments will have to work seriously, Max needs a couple more wins to get the WDC

those 18/25 points lost in Melbourne for the clown show on brakes really hurt

Dunlay
Dunlay

Sergej wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 17:39
AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 17:24
Sergej wrote:
but what was the point of having Max running an old floor while Perez has the latest ? doesn't seem to have payed off, maybe it was even slower seeing how Perez performed....did they use this race to experiment and find a new development path ?
The old floor is a reference point for new developments.
these new developments could arrive at Austin in two months, with a 4-week stop after Singapore, which means Max has to hold on for three races (Monza, Baku, Singapore), maybe affording 20-30 points lost

resuming at Austin with 40-50 point gap, 6 races to go and a win capable car would be good, but those developments will have to work seriously, Max needs a couple more wins to get the WDC

those 18/25 points lost in Melbourne for the clown show on brakes really hurt
There is nothing to suggest McLaren would be standing still while Red Bull can find a good hair oil that can provide relief from so much of head scratching. Going down a wrong path is like getting sucked into tornado. If Piastri, Ferrari and Mercedes starting getting in between Lando and Max, that's WDC gone. I seriously don't think they can suddenly bring upgrades that can take out 7 tenths deficit to McLaren, especially when they don't know what is going wrong. It's going to be like 2009 here where the driver with the points lead, doesn't have a winning car for the remainder of the season.

Paa

Sergej wrote:
As far as I'm aware Max ran launch spec floor, while Perez ran China spec. I'm not 100% on this, but this is what I read.
So not the latest for either of them. Something went wrong with Imola upgrade.

organic

This is fine

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Paa wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 18:15
Sergej wrote:
As far as I'm aware Max ran launch spec floor, while Perez ran China spec. I'm not 100% on this, but this is what I read.
So not the latest for either of them. Something went wrong with Imola upgrade.
Perez was on China spec? Everything makes sense now. The Imola floor was the first of the downgrades. That is the weekend that Perez started struggling to qualify in the top 10 and the weekend that the gap to Max blew up.

As soon as they put him back on the pre-Imola floor, he qualified inside the top 10 easily, and his pace in the race today wasn't that bad. The bigger problem now is that although these previous floor specs have made the car calmer, they simply lack performance because the other teams are 2-3 updates ahead.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 25 Aug 2024, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 18:30
This is fine
Agree.

Vettel165

Happy with second place today. Max brought a fantastic performance and overdrive the car. Yes the race pace could be better, but the team was in spec-mode. The entire race was a test. In Monza S2, S3 could be good for us. Top speed+medium speed corners. I am still waiting for a fully dry weekend, and it could also be very warm next weekend.
Last edited by Vettel165 on 25 Aug 2024, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh

Marko says Verstappen's higher DF setup was a wrong choice as it didnt give him much in the corners but he was losing lots of time on straights. It hard to quantify corner gains, but he was losing around 0.4-0.5s to perez on straights during the race.
Perez also seemed to have less deg towards the end.

Vettel165

Juzh wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 19:23
Marko says Verstappen's higher DF setup was a wrong choice as it didnt give him much in the corners but he was losing lots of time on straights. It hard to quantify corner gains, but he was losing around 0.4-0.5s to perez on straights during the race.
Could be the explanation of a massive Norris race pace advantage. Maybe with lower downforce setup the gap could be closer to Mclaren. I can only hope. But for this race no matter the setup, it was always the target to get at least a second or third place. As high-downforce tracks doesnt suit Red Bull, we are better at low-medium speed tracks with long straights.
Last edited by Vettel165 on 25 Aug 2024, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

Juzh wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 19:23
The sector gaps to Norris swapped once the deg started to show for Max. Early race Max was circa 2 tenths in sector 1 and 2 over Norris. But once Norris got ahead, that gaps/gains swapped and Norris was managing a stead 2-3tenths across all sectors

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 16:55
Xyz22 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 16:46
Something is really off here.
Verstappen is racing with a launch spec floor. What do you expect?
Did they say this publicly? Why doesn't Horner say so when Sky asks him about the race. I am quite skeptical of these stories.

Vettel165

In last 5 races after Austria-Max gained 3 points on Lando. He got 78 points with Norris 75.

But I agree we 100% need a win or two in the next races, or stronger Mercedes/Ferrari taking points away of Mclaren.

deadhead

I don't care about conspiracies but this is no longer the same car, or at least it doesn't act like it on track.

organic

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 19:38
AR3-GP wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
Did they say this publicly? Why doesn't Horner say so when Sky asks him about the race. I am quite skeptical of these stories.
The information comes from Erik van Haren who both had an interview and is a close friend of Verstappen himself. They are together in the red bull hospitality frequently during race weekends. He's basically a mouthpiece for the Verstappens (Max and Jos). And accordingly he gets information about the car, upgrades etc which is far more reliable than anyone else
Last edited by organic on 25 Aug 2024, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 19:38
AR3-GP wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
Why would Horner say it publically? You know the team is just doing PR damage control like every other team on the grid when they don't win.

It was confirmed by Erik Van Haren. That's as good as the bank. You can also just look at the pictures of the floor in the RB20 thread.
Old floor the solution?
Verstappen drove during the first training on Friday, and then also on Saturday, with the (reproduced) floor that he also drove with at the very beginning of this season. Just to show how much they are investigating at Red Bull how they can make the car for Verstappen