[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Ft5fTL

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

This is my entry for Monza:

Low downforce wings, new floor, new rear deflectors, and as usual; tweaked sidepods.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

variante

As anticipated, only the wings have been changed for the upcoming Monza race.
You'll notice that this isn't a "minimum drag" configuration, but rather "mid-low". Hopefully, the relevance of braking and cornering performance will be enhanced by the official laptime simulator, compared to the one we're given.

Interesting sidepods from PurePower. It seems like the "RedBull intake" is becoming dominant. And a front wing with just 2 foils makes a lot of sense on low drag configurations.

Opposite approach from CAEdesign, but his drag and efficiency were already good at Silverstone, so I'm sure he'll be a strong contender.

G-raph is conservatively mirroring last year's configuration. Well, it worked last time!
150 simulations to develop the car is a healthy amount (isn't that much more than last year?).
I'm near enough, at 131. Maybe I'll run a few more for the last race, but I won't invest much more time in this Season.

yinlad

variante wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 15:59
As anticipated, only the wings have been changed for the upcoming Monza race.
You'll notice that this isn't a "minimum drag" configuration, but rather "mid-low". Hopefully, the relevance of braking and cornering performance will be enhanced by the official laptime simulator, compared to the one we're given.
https://arcvstudio1.wordpress.com/wp-co ... ront-1.png
https://arcvstudio1.wordpress.com/wp-co ... rear-1.png

Interesting sidepods from PurePower. It seems like the "RedBull intake" is becoming dominant. And a front wing with just 2 foils makes a lot of sense on low drag configurations.

Opposite approach from CAEdesign, but his drag and efficiency were already good at Silverstone, so I'm sure he'll be a strong contender.

G-raph is conservatively mirroring last year's configuration. Well, it worked last time!
150 simulations to develop the car is a healthy amount (isn't that much more than last year?).
I'm near enough, at 131. Maybe I'll run a few more for the last race, but I won't invest much more time in this Season.
Not me quietly on 300 so far 😬

Not sure I share your optimism for a mid-low setup, Monza is just so insanely drag biased. More so without a DRS aspect of the lap simulation. I think this race could be very open reading into last year's results and depending on how it shakes out the championship might be VERY interesting going into R05
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

The Rusted One wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 19:27
Yes I submitted it, hopefully you guys received it on your side
Yes, can confirm and we even have another new team. Always great to see how more and more people get interested.

On my side, I had a super crazy week and have not even been able to submit the simulations. So, unfortunately you will all have to wait until next week for the results.

G-raph

Ft5fTL wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 12:58
This is my entry for Monza:
Low downforce wings, new floor, new rear deflectors, and as usual; tweaked sidepods.
Did you just turn up with a full F1 floor edge wing? I'm curious to see how much of it is left with the coarse mesh, and how you kept that legal in an X-plane, but that is some very impressive work.

variante wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 15:59
Yes, it was 93 last year. However, I have changed my approach. Last year each simulation was a large geometry change, often in multiple areas of the car at once. This year the geometrical steps were much smaller, and always isolated to a single component. So it feels like I have spent much less time on CAD this year.

yinlad wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 19:56
Not sure I share your optimism for a mid-low setup, Monza is just so insanely drag biased. More so without a DRS aspect of the lap simulation. I think this race could be very open reading into last year's results and depending on how it shakes out the championship might be VERY interesting going into R05
I'm with you on that one, I feel Variante's "mid-low" level is risky. However, given he starts with a higher base efficiency he'll probably get away with it.

LVDH

So, I have finished up the simulations and will soon extract the results and send them to Max and Christian.
For you, I can finally present the cars. We have 13 this time! I think it is a record and definitely remarkable considering that the season is ending.
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-monza-2024/

yinlad

Wow that's a lot of cars and some very impressive looking first timers!
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

yinlad wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 07:32
Wow that's a lot of cars and some very impressive looking first timers!
Yepp, I am also pretty happy with how they look.
But, as we all know, first timers often have some technical difficulties in their first race.
However, if anyone wants to compete in the new season, it is always the best idea to dip your toes into the final races of the ongoing season to be prepared for a full season.

Koldskaal

Round 4 ITALIAN GRAND PRIX
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

Dodgy_Malaka_69
Dodgy_Malaka_69

Hey, I just checked the video and it says my car is DNF for cooling issues. I am aware that it was 158,000 instead of 180,000. But the submission mail says that first few violations will result in added time. I just want to know why I was DNF'ed instead of extra time being added.

yinlad

Dodgy_Malaka_69 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:57
Hey, I just checked the video and it says my car is DNF for cooling issues. I am aware that it was 158,000 instead of 180,000. But the submission mail says that first few violations will result in added time. I just want to know why I was DNF'ed instead of extra time being added.
Given the results show 0.3 m3/s of the required 2.8 m3/s, your cooling flow is falling foul of;
Appendix 2: airflow requirements for inlets and outlets:
"Not meeting cooling requirements leads to reduced engine power and to DNF below 50% of required value."
Congrats to all on the podium! Not quite the shake up I expected and for me the new sidepods have regressed on cooling correlation between the MVRC template I run and the long one for official results, but in the end it probably only cost me a position. So long as I do what I need to for the final race P3 in the championship should be doable [-o<

Side note: Looks like I was spot on about someone getting to -4.5 cl/cd :D
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

I am quite satisfied with the result, honestly even if I had submitted my most efficent car (but with some doubts about the legality of some details) I wouldn't have won. Congratulations to the two top teams.

Anyway, good points for the fight for third place in the final chart.

G-raph

Oh this one was very close! A bit surprised by the result but I knew my only chance to win was if Variante got the balance (and cooling) wrong, and that's exactly what happened (lucky me!).
But after the first sector I though CAE was on for a shock victory. Congratulations for yet another podium and a very strong performance.

Nice to see so many newcomers with nice looking cars. Congrats to RustedGP for winning that battle and earning a point at the first race.
yinlad wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:22
Dodgy_Malaka_69 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:57
Given the results show 0.3 m3/s of the required 2.8 m3/s, your cooling flow is falling foul of;
Appendix 2: airflow requirements for inlets and outlets:
"Not meeting cooling requirements leads to reduced engine power and to DNF below 50% of required value."
Your sidepod looks very nice but when I saw the tiny inlet and outlet I knew you would be in trouble with cooling. Meeting the cooling target is quite a frustrating part of the process, but don't give up! Hopefully you can get it sorted for the next race.

The Rusted One

Congrats on the win G-raph! =D>

Point on debut is pretty nice, wasn't expecting it especially with more competition for this race. Have to thank Max Taylor for providing the template car though, as I wouldn't have had a working car for the race with the limited time.

Looking at the numbers, I think modifying the sidepod inlet as opposed to the original ones on the template car was a bad decision from my side. Looks like 9th was within reach...
Rusted GP

variante

G-raph wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:53
Oh this one was very close! A bit surprised by the result but I knew my only chance to win was if Variante got the balance (and cooling) wrong, and that's exactly what happened (lucky me!).
It seems like I uploaded the wrong engine cover. You can see the difference between the images I published and the official ones. I suppose that's what causing the car to be off balance (on top of non-perfect sim correlation).

Oh well, being attentive is part of the game. So, congratulations for another win!
And fantastic job from CAEdevice. A strong podium, at just 2 tenths from the top.

yinlad wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:22
Side note: Looks like I was spot on about someone getting to -4.5 cl/cd :D
Haters will say it's because the car was off balance :lol:
Without such bodywork mismatch, the balanced was supposed to have an efficiency of 4.47