2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lasssept

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Well..

Quantum

mendis wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:14
Quantum wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 15:53
This race has to be omitted from the Mercedes team battle. The team absolutely screwed Lewis out of this one! What a clownish display... Softs! Did they expect him to jump two of the fastest cars and hold them behind for 30 laps?! Crazy.

I doubted it, but now I'm firmly in the camp that Mercedes are leaning the table towards George over Lewis each race.
Was Hamilton part of the decision process for softs? If so, he owns this.
I wouldn't expect team to come out openly about it.

They do every race on the post race vids. If it's a "we decided" thing, then everyone carries the can.
Lewis is part of the process for his race strategies.

What I would be more concerned about if I was a Lewis fan, is Carlos being told to move over for Leclerc.
The clock is ticking to that that ticking time bomb next year.
"Interplay of triads"

Luscion
Luscion

mendis wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:18
214270 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:13
Spoutnik wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:02

Of course. Hamilton managed the tyres quite well. He was not holding Russell or Piastri. Russell doing politics as usual whine on the radio to pretend the opposite
Yup, it didn’t look like he reached any sort of cliff - it stayed at 1.8 I think in the run up. He was at a pace consistent with extending the stint to something close to the M runners. Instead, they pit him into traffic and gave the clear air to PIA & RUS.
Russell was stuck behind him as it's not possible to overtake early in the race, hoping Ham would push, which he never did. As he simply didn't have any pace later in the stint and blocking Russsell, he had to be pulled in.
after Russell came over the radio saying Lewis should probably go faster he was told to slow down, think of the long term and to start managing his tires because he was already starting to destroy them

DGP123
DGP123

Quantum wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:21
mendis wrote:
Quantum wrote:

They do every race on the post race vids. If it's a "we decided" thing, then everyone carries the can.

What I would be more concerned about if I was a Lewis fan, is Carlos being told to move over for Leclerc.
Sainz is a bang average nobody in F1 terms, hence why he’s heading to the abyss at Williams. Hamilton won’t consistently crash or have the woeful race pace that Sainz does, so there’s no worries of being told to move over for Leclerc, like your anti ham post is trying to make.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Hammerfist wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:10
It could only work if the race was a carbon copy of last year, ie driving slowly to not open an undercut attempt. With a straight race like this it was always gonna end in a disaster…
Yeah that’s a good point. Maybe they thought Lando or whoever was in the lead was going to drive way off the pace and they could survive on softs. Honestly I thought it would play out like that too and I was wrong. I can understand their mistake more now.
Yes, I was actually expecting one of the top drivers to try it, mostly Max since he would have a real chance of taking the lead into turn one with that tyre. But they likely knew that McLaren was too fast and decided to protect P2 to be safe. Always hard for P3 to do anything at the start here since he is boxed in in at T1.

And I don’t understand all the outrage of trying something here to be honest. Merc opened up all strategic options with the move, and it made sense to try it with Hamilton who is leaving anyway. Only thing Mercedes could have done is to invert the cars when Hamilton was starting to drop back early and it was clear he wasn’t bothering top 2 to see if Russell could make inroads, but otherwise it’s OK from my side.

ToffeeTyres
ToffeeTyres

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:17
Hamilton has faith in the strategists who are handsomely paid to give him the best chance of taking maximum points. Lewis is definitely not a guy who tries to swing strategies to any great extent. He might complain after the fact, but he rarely impresses his own strat ideas onto Bono and team. Today was one of those times where he should have questioned them the moment they come up with that shyte idea.
This

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not their finest moment...
A lion must kill its prey.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Quantum wrote:
mendis wrote:
Quantum wrote:

He was on a different strategy
And Carlos since 2/3 months is not matching the pace of Charles so...

At Mercedes you've got Russell treated as the absolute number 1 like a 10 times WDC... While he's not that much fast than Hamilton lets say

mendis wrote:
214270 wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:02

Of course. Hamilton managed the tyres quite well. He was not holding Russell or Piastri. Russell doing politics as usual whine on the radio to pretend the opposite
Yup, it didn’t look like he reached any sort of cliff - it stayed at 1.8 I think in the run up. He was at a pace consistent with extending the stint to something close to the M runners. Instead, they pit him into traffic and gave the clear air to PIA & RUS.
It appears as if Ham realized after 1st corner that he has no chance of chasing Max and Lando, so he decided to simply cruise as he knew his softs won't last long. Russell was stuck behind him as it's not possible to overtake early in the race, hoping Ham would push, which he never did. As he simply didn't have any pace later in the stint and blocking Russsell, he had to be pulled in. That slow first stint probably helped Leclerc!
Thats the part that’s illogical, all they needed to do (and what it appeared initially) was after the 1st couple of corners is leave NOR & VER to it, and HAM becomes the head of the usual, slow Singapore snake. He could’ve kept them all compressed, its Singers after all - tough to get past when some basic, defensive driving is employed regardless of extra DRS.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Quantum

DGP123 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:24
Quantum wrote:
mendis wrote:

Sainz is a bang average nobody in F1 terms, hence why he’s heading to the abyss at Williams. Hamilton won’t consistently crash or have the woeful race pace that Sainz does, so there’s no worries of being told to move over for Leclerc, like your anti ham post is trying to make.
What's anti Ham?
Is he not part of his own race strategy calls? That's a big assertion there.

Or was Sainz not told to move over for Leclerc? That will be Hamilton next year in that circumstance. I think Hamilton fans should ready themselves for these things and that's not being negative. It literally happened today.
"Interplay of triads"

Quantum

Spoutnik wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:26
Quantum wrote:
mendis wrote:

At Mercedes you've got Russell treated as the absolute number 1 like a 10 times WDC... While he's not that much fast than Hamilton lets say

All I'm saying is be prepared for these calls.
"Interplay of triads"

Luscion
Luscion

Quantum wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:28
DGP123 wrote:
Quantum wrote:

What's anti Ham?

Or was Sainz not told to move over for Leclerc? That will be Hamilton next year in that circumstance. I think Hamilton fans should ready themselves for these things and that's not being negative. It literally happened today.
I dont know what Sainz moving over for Leclerc has to do with Lewis, Leclerc was one of the fastest cars on track closing in on the Mercs. Charles had 19 lap fresher hards than Lewis and 23 lap newer than Sainz. in no world was Sainz going to be a challenge for Charles so they just had him move over once he caught up

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Quantum wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:31
Spoutnik wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:26
Quantum wrote:

All I'm saying is be prepared for these calls.
No. That was the issue in 2022... even when Sainz was very far from Leclerc there was no team orders

Quantum

Luscion wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:32
Quantum wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:28
DGP123 wrote:

What's anti Ham?

I dont know what Sainz moving over for Leclerc has to do with Lewis, Leclerc was one of the fastest cars on track closing in on the Mercs. Charles had 19 lap fresher hards than Lewis and 23 lap newer than Sainz. in no world was Sainz going to be a challenge for Charles so they just had him move over once he caught up
Lewis will be taking Sainz seat. And will find himself in these situations. Pretty straightforward.
"Interplay of triads"

mendis
mendis

Luscion wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:22
mendis wrote:
214270 wrote:

Russell was stuck behind him as it's not possible to overtake early in the race, hoping Ham would push, which he never did. As he simply didn't have any pace later in the stint and blocking Russsell, he had to be pulled in.
after Russell came over the radio saying Lewis should probably go faster he was told to slow down, think of the long term and to start managing his tires because he was already starting to destroy them
No, there was no such radio call as I was watching Russell's onboard. They wanted him to manage the tyres, as with everyone else, not because he was destroying them.