2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

DRS wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:23
Wynters wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:20
DRS wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:11
Ah, the old race card, well played sir. 👍
I was referring to Hamilton's statistical performance as head-and-shoulders the most successful F1 driver of all time. Why bring someone's race into this, something entirely irrelevant to their skills as a driver and their likability? It's an odd call...
Yes, sure you were, we all believe you.
Given your grasp of physics, I maybe wouldn't try and speak for everyone. But it's not the first surprisingly bold call you've made today. You go on defining Hamilton by his race rather than his myriad achievements and a big 'Thank you' for proving my points so effectively.

Adieu, until your next reincarnation on the board :wink:

Luscion
Luscion

Russell: After a very difficult Friday, we would have likely taken P4 in the Grand Prix. Our pace in Qualifying however made us believe we could achieve more. Today was no doubt a difficult race for us, both challenging in terms of our pace but also physically. The McLarens were very impressive and in another league to us, whilst Max (Verstappen) had the legs on us. We were able to hold off the Ferrari of Charles (Leclerc) in the closing stages, so it was very much an evening of damage limitation. Given the pace of the car, that was the very best we could have achieved.

We have a lot of work to do in the coming weeks to understand why we’ve struggled to challenge at the front in the past few races. We haven’t been as competitive since the summer break and that is frustrating. We will work hard to get on top of it though and hopefully the updates we bring to the next race in Austin will help us take a step closer to the front.
Hamilton: It is hard to describe the range of emotions you feel when we have a difficult race like that. This year continues to be a testing one for everyone, but we are all pushing as hard as we can. We don’t always get things right and that was the case today with our strategy. We all head into the weekend, and every decision we take, with the right intentions and sometimes it doesn’t work out. It can be frustrating, but we are all in this together.

We have lost some form to the leaders in the past few races and we’re working hard to figure out why that is. We will do what we do best though and that is to come together as a team, analyse and refocus ahead of Austin. We will head there with energy, drive, and determination. It’s another opportunity to show what we can do when we get things right and to hopefully take a step forward with the car.
Toto: That was a really painful evening for us. P4 and P6 is not a good result after starting P3 and P4. Our strategy decisions in the race were determined by our experiences in the past here where track position is crucial. We thought that the Soft tyre would give Lewis an advantage at the start but that turned out to be the wrong decision. With our challenges managing the rear surfaces, we went backwards. Overtaking proved possible, contrary to previous races here where it has been more processional, and in hindsight we should have started him on the Medium.

It doesn’t hide the fact though that we were too slow today. We are struggling at the moment with tracks that are hot and demanding on traction, like here and Baku, but that is no excuse. It is difficult for us to accept but we must do and find a way to improve. We now look ahead to Austin where we will have an update coming and we hope that will move us forward.
Shovlin: Our pace was ultimately poor today and that made for an incredibly challenging evening. Having qualified within a couple of tenths of Norris and Verstappen, we anticipated being able to race for the podium. That shaped our decision to start on the Soft compound with Lewis as we looked to make up ground on the opening lap. Unfortunately, with our lack of pace and struggles to control the rear tyre temperatures, that proved the incorrect decision and left him in for a tough race.

It was very much a case of a defensive strategy and race for George. We had to pick our battles, and it was clear that we didn’t have the speed to be in a fight with the McLaren of Oscar Piastri. He was much faster and, with a tyre advantage, was always going to get through. George did well to hold off the hard-charging Ferrari of Leclerc and limit the damage.

We’ve now got the opportunity over the next few weeks to analyse and understand what happened to our pace today. We had moments over the weekend where we were competitive, so we know there is inherent pace in the car. We will also be bringing an update package to the car at the next race and we hope that can bring us closer to the fight at the front.
https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/reports/d ... ngapore-gp

Luscion
Luscion

DRS wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:34
Wynters wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:30
DRS wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:23

Yes, sure you were, we all believe you.
Given your grasp of physics, I maybe wouldn't try and speak for everyone. But it's not the first surprisingly bold call you've made today. You go on defining Hamilton by his race rather than his myriad achievements and a big 'Thank you' for proving my points so effectively.

Adieu, until your next reincarnation on the board :wink:
Hamilton had a poor race, he had little pace on the softs, that much so the lead two disappeared and his pace was that poor on the hards his teammate overcut him by nearly 6 seconds when it was pointed out how strong the undercut was. And to top it off he made a big mistake trying to pass Yuki which almost saw him in the wall. Being a Lewis fan I expect better and it will annoy me something rotten if Russell beats him in the championship.
How are you a lewis fan when your post history is you bashing him

kenshi_blind

The sheer stupidity and tales from my ass from some of the usual trolls in this thread will never cease to amaze me....
People can just post stuff with no basis and then expect other to engage them in good faith...and the moderation team is happy to let it continue (we all know things would be different if it was another team thread like .. you know which one )

DRS
DRS

kenshi_blind wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:48
The sheer stupidity and tales from my ass from some of the usual trolls in this thread will never cease to amaze me....
People can just post stuff with no basis and then expect other to engage them in good faith...and the moderation team is happy to let it continue (we all know things would be different if it was another team thread like .. you know which one )
No basis, the race is there for all to see. I have had a mod warning now so you're wrong. But it seems you are not allowed to call your favourite driver out when they have a poor race.

kenshi_blind

DRS wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:55
kenshi_blind wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:48
No basis, the race is there for all to see. I have had a mod warning now so you're wrong. But it seems you are not allowed to call your favourite driver out when they have a poor race.
This is exactly what I am talking about .I don't recall talking to you or about you .
My post was about the general atmosphere in the team thread ,why do you feel aggrieved by it ?
And please enlighten me, who's my favourite driver?

Vanja #66

Luscion wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 21:32
Toto: We thought that the Soft tyre would give Lewis an advantage at the start but that turned out to be the wrong decision. With our challenges managing the rear surfaces, we went backwards.
How? What possible metric could have given them any indication Softs are gonna do them any good?

This level of team bs-ing themselves makes Binotto look like a no-bs, hard core realist
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

DRS
DRS

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 22:08
Luscion wrote:
Toto: We thought that the Soft tyre would give Lewis an advantage at the start but that turned out to be the wrong decision. With our challenges managing the rear surfaces, we went backwards.
How? What possible metric could have given them any indication Softs are gonna do them any good?

This level of team bs-ing themselves makes Binotto look like a no-bs, hard core realist
There's no possible scenario in which it could have worked out. Even if by a miracle he jumped both Max & Lando he would have had to have pitted way earlier than them and would have been stuck in the pack. And, even if there was an early safety car, most would have boxed for hards just like him or stayed out, either way, he would have had status quo or worse still, been right at the back on hard tyres.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Vanja #66 wrote:
Luscion wrote:

Gice them a break Vanja, its not as if theres multiple seasons worth of evidence at this point showing that pushing tyres to 100% at the start of a stint Will burn them out, is there?

And why WOULDNT you want to start a basically guaranteed 1 stop race on a used set of tyres with the shortest lifespan compound available?
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 22 Sep 2024, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

Luscion
Luscion

Vanja #66 wrote:
Luscion wrote:

Yea i dont know why they thought this at all... It seemed pretty clear the softs wasnt a good race tire, so much so Lewis didnt even have a new set to start on.

Vanja #66

DRS wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 22:12
There's no possible scenario in which it could have worked out. Even if by a miracle he jumped both Max & Lando he would have had to have pitted way earlier than them and would have been stuck in the pack. And, even if there was an early safety car, most would have boxed for hards just like him or stayed out, either way, he would have had status quo or worse still, been right at the back on hard tyres.
Exactly. They have an ocean of data, simulated and collected, to work with. They have tools that can take into account insanely small details and model them to perfection. And yet they found out with all that data starting on Softs was perfect strategy? There's a lot of people here who would have said no to Softs just by watching races this season

All of their statements are increasingly unfounded lately. Team needs to reset and while you are bs-ing yourself you can't reset... But yeah, I'm a hater for saying Wolff should stand down. Fish stinks from the head, that's just the way it is.

McLaren, Ferrari, Alpine, Sauber, VCARB, Williams, even Haas (though in their case the owner started investing more again) - all of them had issues and changed their TP to try to solve them in the last 2 years. Teams still having issues and keeping their TP? Aston Martin and Mercedes

GrizzleBoy wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 22:23
Gice them a break Vanja, its not as if theres multiple seasons worth of evidence at this point showing that pushing tyres to 100% at the start of a stint Will burn them out, is there?

And why WOULDNT you want to start a basically guaranteed 1 stop race on a used set of tyres with the shortest lifespan compound available?
Luscion wrote:
Yea i dont know why they thought this at all... It seemed pretty clear the softs wasnt a good race tire, so much so Lewis didnt even have a new set to start on.
I'm speechless, honestly... This is not the way to repay their Champ at all

#BlessYouLaddie

DRS
DRS

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 22:26
DRS wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 22:12
Exactly. They have an ocean of data, simulated and collected, to work with. They have tools that can take into account insanely small details and model them to perfection. And yet they found out with all that data starting on Softs was perfect strategy? There's a lot of people here who would have said no to Softs just by watching races this season

All of their statements are increasingly unfounded lately. Team needs to reset and while you are bs-ing yourself you can't reset... But yeah, I'm a hater for saying Wolff should stand down. Fish stinks from the head, that's just the way it is.

McLaren, Ferrari, Alpine, Sauber, VCARB, Williams, even Haas (though in their case the owner started investing more again) - all of them had issues and changed their TP to try to solve them in the last 2 years. Teams still having issues and keeping their TP? Aston Martin and Mercedes

GrizzleBoy wrote:

Luscion wrote:
I'm speechless, honestly... This is not the way to repay their Champ at all
I have little sympathy for Lewis, he most have agreed to the strategy, I don't know what he's thinking sometimes. If they wanted to try something different they should have started on the hards.

Vanja #66

DRS wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 22:32
I have little sympathy for Lewis, he most have agreed to the strategy, I don't know what he's thinking sometimes. If they wanted to try something different they should have started on the hards.
BS is deep within the team and showing bs data to any driver will mislead him. They are either using way too optimistic corrective factors or their models are way too unreliable. BS in, BS out, that's just the way it is

#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

With things being as they are at the moment, the upgrade at Austin will be very telling for Mercedes' short-term future. If they're still lost after that, surely that's an omen for 2025 as well. That's a car which probably has been in development for a while now, but what if they were missled by their initial ill-based strides in the mid-season during the development of the 2025 car?

If Mercedes continues to be incognito on the fight at the top for the 4th year running into this regulation set, things have to change there.

DRS
DRS

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 22:44
DRS wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 22:32
BS is deep within the team and showing bs data to any driver will mislead him. They are either using way too optimistic corrective factors or their models are way too unreliable. BS in, BS out, that's just the way it is
I don't know mate, they have always been very poor at strategy. Thankfully for us Lewis fans, Ferrari appear to have improved in that department with Vasseur in charge.