Did NASCAR steal JPM's first oval win?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jon-mullen

Did NASCAR steal JPM's first oval win?

After leading 116 of 160 laps in Sunday's Brickyard 400, Juan Pablo Montoya was penalized for speeding on pit lane. It was during a green-flag stop when he had ~5 seconds in hand.

Did NASCAR move him out of the way so two whitebread drivers whose cars had not been as dominant could race side-by-side for the cameras?
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Giblet
Giblet

Re: Did NASCAR steal JPM's first oval win?

I didn't watch the race, but isn't breaking the speed limit in the pit lane entirely the drivers fault?

Unless you have some proof that he was shafted, sounds like he lost his race himself.

He either sped in pit lane, or NASCAR lies.

Sounds like grasping at straws
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

djos

jon-mullen wrote:After leading 116 of 160 laps in Sunday's Brickyard 400, Juan Pablo Montoya was penalized for speeding on pit lane. It was during a green-flag stop when he had ~5 seconds in hand.

Did NASCAR move him out of the way so two whitebread drivers whose cars had not been as dominant could race side-by-side for the cameras?
Ambrose got done for speeding at Montreal in the wet Nationwide race the other year too after dominating and subsequently lost the race, but in answer to your question: IIRC NASCAR have a 5MPH tolerance due to the lack of electronics on the cars (Seriously, can we have tuned port fuel injection please with a standard ECU? The Aussie V8's get 630+HP out of 2 valve, 5.0ltr iron blocks despite being rev limited to 7500rpm).

Apparently JPM was speeding thru 2 sectors of the pit lane not just one, hence the penalty. Still a damn shame tho, that Target paint scheme from his CART days looked awesome and he was killing the others for most of the race.
"In downforce we trust"

Ray

Yes they did. NASCAR is famous for throwing bullshit cautions and the like to 'spice up' the racing. It's happened before and it'll happen again. I'll believe a driver over NASCAR officials any any of the week. Many of the top drivers have questioned them over calls for years now, and NASCAR always manages to bury something or point the finger somewhere else. They have effectively ruined Mayfields career, and I can't remember they guys name or even care to look it up, but some small team was fined 200,000 damn dollars for a .17 cubic inch oversize on an engine during inspection. They effectively shut that team down for the season. That would NEVER happened to a team with a big name sponsor like Home Depot, Toyota, or the like. I have boycotted NASCAR for the past few weeks after the total destruction of Mayfields reputation, and only watched the Brickyard 400 because JPM was spanking the field. After they called that bullshit speeding penalty I will never watch another one of their races ever again. They've done it before and they'll do it again. It's all about money now and in my opinion they are far worse than the FIA. I don't know where people get off saying they are consistent, because that is so far off base it's laughable.
Last edited by Ray on 27 Jul 2009, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ray

djos wrote:(Seriously, can we have tuned port fuel injection please with a standard ECU? The Aussie V8's get 630+HP out of 2 valve, 5.0ltr iron blocks despite being rev limited to 7500rpm)
They get well over 800 with 5.8 liters. Don't see the problem there, but they do regularly turn to 9800-9900 on some tracks. Don't doubt they'd make more with the same restrictions. I hate NASCAR now, but I will continue to enjoy the engines. No matter if they are all the same.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Ray wrote:Yes they did. NASCAR is famous for throwing bullshit cautions and the like to 'spice up' the racing. It's happened before and it'll happen again. I'll believe a driver over NASCAR officials any any of the week. Many of the top drivers have questioned them over calls for years now, and NASCAR always manages to bury something or point the finger somewhere else. They have effectively ruined Mayfields career, and I can't remember they guys name or even care to look it up, but some small team was fined 200,000 damn dollars for a .17 cubic inch oversize on an engine during inspection. They effectively shut that team down for the season. That would NEVER happened to a team with a big name sponsor like Home Depot, Toyota, or the like. I have boycotted NASCAR for the past few weeks after the total destruction of Mayfields reputation, and only watched the Brickyard 400 because JPM was spanking the field. After they called that bullshit speeding penalty I will never watch another one of their races ever again. They've done it before and they'll do it again. It's all about money now and in my opinion they are far worse than the FIA. I don't know where people get off saying they are consistent, because that is so far off base it's laughable.
There was no "bullshit caution" thrown. He sped. Plain and simple.

And yes, there are severe penalties for not passing tech. It has happened to major teams as well as minor ones. I recall Red Bull / Toyota being penalized for not having the right gauge sheet metal on their car. 150 points and $100,000.

As for Mayfield.. he shouldn't have been on drugs. How ---' simple is that?

I don't agree with NASCAR on a lot of things, but I'm also fair.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Ray

Jersey Tom wrote:
Ray wrote:Yes they did. NASCAR is famous for throwing bullshit cautions and the like to 'spice up' the racing. It's happened before and it'll happen again. I'll believe a driver over NASCAR officials any any of the week. Many of the top drivers have questioned them over calls for years now, and NASCAR always manages to bury something or point the finger somewhere else. They have effectively ruined Mayfields career, and I can't remember they guys name or even care to look it up, but some small team was fined 200,000 damn dollars for a .17 cubic inch oversize on an engine during inspection. They effectively shut that team down for the season. That would NEVER happened to a team with a big name sponsor like Home Depot, Toyota, or the like. I have boycotted NASCAR for the past few weeks after the total destruction of Mayfields reputation, and only watched the Brickyard 400 because JPM was spanking the field. After they called that bullshit speeding penalty I will never watch another one of their races ever again. They've done it before and they'll do it again. It's all about money now and in my opinion they are far worse than the FIA. I don't know where people get off saying they are consistent, because that is so far off base it's laughable.
There was no "bullshit caution" thrown. He sped. Plain and simple.

And yes, there are severe penalties for not passing tech. It has happened to major teams as well as minor ones. I recall Red Bull / Toyota being penalized for not having the right gauge sheet metal on their car. 150 points and $100,000.

As for Mayfield.. he shouldn't have been on drugs. How ---' simple is that?

I don't agree with NASCAR on a lot of things, but I'm also fair.
Believe what you want. NASCAR is wrong more times than they are right, and if you think Mayfield is on drugs you're wrong. Take one look at him and you can tell that he isn't doing meth. Have you seen a habitual meth user? Not to mention that NASCAR has --- up speeding fines before and refused to admit it every time, and they have also refused to use an outside independent lab test for the Mayfield case. That stinks of something wrong. And you can sure fine Red Bull 100 grand, they have the money. Lighter gauge steel for a body can shed a good bit of weight off a car and it could be argued that it could be a safety issue of something coming in the car due to weaker body panels. A stretch though so I'm not agreeing with that statement. .17 of a cubic gains you nothing and they effectively ruined that mans business and his livelyhood. He cannot afford that just a Red Bull can. You have a very skewed view of NASCAR if you think they are fair. Their own competitors don't trust them!

Giblet
Giblet

People are very good at hiding their addictions for a long time.

not everyone smokes meth or cranks it in. A lot of people like to do a line once in a while and get stupid.

I don't condone it, but I (embarrassingly) tried it a couple of times when I was younger. My GF at the time had no idea I was on it, and she was 'right up close' to me. On more than one occasion.

Not every meth user has an underbite an no gums and weighs 140lbs.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ray

Giblet wrote:People are very good at hiding their addictions for a long time.

not everyone smokes meth or cranks it in. A lot of people like to do a line once in a while and get stupid.

I don't condone it, but I (embarrassingly) tried it a couple of times when I was younger. My GF at the time had no idea I was on it, and she was 'right up close' to me. On more than one occasion.

Not every meth user has an underbite an no gums and weighs 140lbs.
No but there have been multiple reports that the level that was supposedly in his system would show his was a very heavy habitual user. He was taking prescription medication that are extremely similar on a molecular level to methamphetamine. Their drug testing policy is so ridiculously overdone that you can't even appeal a decision on a false positive! This proves it! If another driver were to test positive can NASCAR guarantee that a fair third party test would be administered? I highly doubt it. Besides, if they are so sure he was on it why not humor him, send a sample to any lab of his liking and then shut him up for good? Very simple, but they refuse to do so.

And there have been time after time NASCAR has thrown bullshit cautions when someone was running away from the field. I'm not going to search for it because it is way too easy to find on Google, and quite frankly I hate NASCAR and --- Brian France so I'm not really that interested.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

If NASCAR did not throw the caution for "debris" or some similar excuse, it would not enjoy the popularity it enjoys. It's no secret they throw cautions to close up the pack to manufacture what appears to be a close race. Hey, most NASCAR fans want to see more-to-nose and fender-to fender racing and rubbin'. So NASCAR delivers. It's for such things like that where my purist attitude on racing gets trampled over, that I rarely watch any NASCAR races anymore.
Anyways, Jimmie Johnson won, he's got legions of "fans", while JPM has a heck of a lot less.
"Dude, I guarantee you," he told crew chief Brian Pattie, "I swear on my children and my wife I was not speeding ... I can't believe they did this to me. Because I swear on anybody, I was not speeding."

According to NASCAR, though, he was. Sprint Cup director John Darby said that NASCAR had eight speed zones set up along the length of the Indianapolis pit road, and that Montoya had tripped not one, but two of them. The No. 42 car was clocked at 60.06 mph in the second zone, and 60.11 mph in the fourth zone -- exceeding not only the 55 mph pit-road speed limit, but also the 5 mph grace buffer that NASCAR gives teams on top of that. Although Montoya said he saw green lights on his dash gauges indicating that he was inside acceptable RPM limits, such setups are team creations that serve as a guideline, and are not linked into NASCAR's timing system.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

jon-mullen

I think anyone that watches NASCAR week after week has to accept that they throw cautions to keep the racing close and keep cars on the lead lap. There are definitely cautions for debris where they never show it, they take advantage of guys going into the wall or getting spun to throw cautions. NASCAR will pull any gimmick to keep the racing close: the Lucky Dog, new double-file restarts, competition yellows to evaluate tire wear... Do you really doubt that they'd throw a caution or lie about someone speeding in the pit lane to make sure those last few commercials have the highest possible viewership?

As for Mayfield: He says he's on Claritin and some ADD medicine, BOTH of which are methamphetamine cousins. It's irrelevant anyway as they've ruined his career and despite an injunction allowing him to race, he's chosen not to.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Ray

jon-mullen wrote:I think anyone that watches NASCAR week after week has to accept that they throw cautions to keep the racing close and keep cars on the lead lap. There are definitely cautions for debris where they never show it, they take advantage of guys going into the wall or getting spun to throw cautions. NASCAR will pull any gimmick to keep the racing close: the Lucky Dog, new double-file restarts, competition yellows to evaluate tire wear... Do you really doubt that they'd throw a caution or lie about someone speeding in the pit lane to make sure those last few commercials have the highest possible viewership?

As for Mayfield: He says he's on Claritin and some ADD medicine, BOTH of which are methamphetamine cousins. It's irrelevant anyway as they've ruined his career and despite an injunction allowing him to race, he's chosen not to.
THANK YOU!! NASCAR is nothing but bullshit gimmicks. They satisfied the big name sponsors in killing JPMs chance of winning and allowing Johnson and Martin up front to battle it out. It's that simple and it's happened many many times in the future. It's no different than bullshit plate racing at the superspeedways. Maximum sponsorship exposure because the cars are all close together and they know idiots will watch for a huge wreck.

Mayfield is ruined, and NASCAR could care less. Even if they came out and said that they had made a mistake he'll always have that cloud over his head. They've only got their test to back them up without even entertaining an independent test to verify, and a woman that is obviously at odds with Mayfield making accusations without a shred of proof. He's done for, and NASCAR could care less.

Ciro Pabón

I think this is a non-issue. Felix Sabates confirmed Montoya made a mistake. I guess this won't prevent people from bashing NASCAR. Sigh.

Besides, to say he was robbed is an opinion I find a little "Formulaone-ish": nothing guarantees you're going to win a NASCAR race, no matter how many laps you lead.

About the "hidden" yellow flags, I don't get the point. Few races in the world, including ANY series you can think of, are as competitive and have such a knowledgeable public. I don't know how the series can be manipulated, but the stature of this forum won't get in a better position by throwing posts with what I, with all due respect, think are unsubstantiated (and certainly hot-headed) posts about unproven conspirations. Actually, I'm up to my ears of "conspirational" posts that don't make you think a little, without any humour or objectivity: the bare acusations won't take your opinions too far around this site, or so I think.

So, without any wish to create controversies, I would dare to recommend to calm down, take it with a grain of salt and accept (like the entire Ganassi-Sabates team has already done) what is already a closed case. Monty has the car, has the balls and, what is more important, he has many chances from now on.

Finally, the team goals are modest: they hope to win a race this year and perhaps make it to the chase. It's not bad for a burned F1 driver running in a secondary team... you already know how Formula One ex-drivers make it at NASCAR: terrible. Juan is doing fine. I guess he will be champion some day, I also guess he doesn't want to be champion of a tainted series, don't you think? So, why would you spit against the wind? And if you do, why won't you laugh at your own stupidity? :)
Ciro

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

A stretch though so I'm not agreeing with that statement. .17 of a cubic gains you nothing and they effectively ruined that mans business and his livelyhood.
Well then I guess they shouldn't have cheated then. They ruined themselves.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Carlos
Carlos

Juan Pablo Montoya claimed pole for the first race of the NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. By Mejia Friday, September 18th 2009
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78714