2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SilviuAgo

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Nice comment from Jenson, saying Lando Norris executed the corner perfectly, catching Charles Leclerc off guard. He emphasizes that unlike others, Norris covered the corner well, which wasn’t anticipated by Leclerc. A tactical move that sparked debate!

CjC
CjC

Personally I think there is a little too much over reaction considering it’s a sprint weekend
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Qualifying time and let's see if Mclaren finds something more or this will be the rest of the weekend.

Emag
Emag

Farnborough wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 22:54
Emag wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 22:03
Farnborough wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 21:59

Likey to maintain top speed with flap closed (important here for defence of position) the rear would now encompass less load/drag if that is primary setup target.

That reduction has to be matched by front flap reduction too, else it becomes too nervous in oversteer risk.

Ultimately proves the gain available from rear, when flex was observed, was real inspite of team protestations :D they all say that when forced to make a change though.

Here it seemed to push them into "at the limit" uncertainty for the driver in dragging one lap,pace from it.

It'll be interesting to see if they fundamentally alter that balance now, trading peak speed, to approach qualli with more emphasis on total load. Perhaps with a different aim in tire life for race stints. Maybe that tradeoff will bring more ease to that end of stint tire life.
So in order to get the benefit of 2-3 kmh they decide to mess up the entire car balance? And it's not like they don't have the data of how the car performs at different DF levels, the gimmicky rear wing was introduced at Spa and all subsequent new rear wings were variations of that concept for different DF levels.

You're saying that even though they have run most of the season without that rear wing, now that they were forced to revert they don't know how to setup the car?

Interesting theory, but I don't think it holds up.

As for setup changes going forward, they will probably be mostly mechanical. I would start by going for a softer ride instead of this stiff jumpy boat of a platform they went for.
No, not at all. The whole paddock of teams know exactly what benefit a flexing rear wing will bring, a notably wider performance envelope, with less compromise in setup choices. That's why its desirable, for any team.

Removing that facility will always bring a harder choice in setting levels, they know exactly what they are doing. They wouldn't have made a flexing structure in the first place. I'm not critical of that previous wing structure (and made views clear in here that the rules were lacking in this aspect, rather than the team doing something wrong) but see it as naive that removing that distribution of load would not now bring compromise.

Emphasise that they clearly do know what they are doing, but just have less choices now in how they trade one performance criteria against another.

We'll see what choices they make now for qualli.
Except that you ignored the fact that they were not running with a wing like that before Spa. Poor McLaren was struggling so hard at Hungary without this magical flexing rear wing to give them all the pace.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 23:13
Lando massively tempering expectations:

https://www.racefans.net/2024/10/19/nor ... rstappens/
He is right. On the basis of the sprint, Ferrari was the fastest car.

Darth-Piekus

It's qualifying time. Let's hope they found a different more efficient set up this time for today and tomorrow cause we need the points of first position.

Did Lando and Oscar used the used soft set first cause seeing Red Bull being more than 3 tenths faster is suspicious when in the last GP they were behind and definately Gasly hasn't suddenly become faster than us.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Used first run. New soft second run.

Ferrari look fast, as does the Red Bull.

Top 4 will be a positive result.

Darth-Piekus

What am I seeing? I hope it's a joke cause there is no way a VCARB is faster than Mclaren or a Red Bull suddenly going over half a second faster in just one GP. There is no way we got surpassed that much in just one GP.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 20 Oct 2024, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Things not looking too good. Strange.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Ben1980 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 00:15

We are as slow as at the beginning of the season.. interesting

Darth-Piekus

Let's wait for Q2 and Q3. I can't accept that we lost half a second on time from one GP to the next.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Szabi1112 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 00:21
Ben1980 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 00:15

We are as slow as at the beginning of the season.. interesting
It's not a surprise though. Red Bull were working on their car and brought a fix, Ferrari brought a nightmare upgrade recently. As mentioned, the Mclaren isn't much different to Miami.

I guess this will force the new floor soon.

Darth-Piekus

You can't find half a second from just one race when both Red Bull and Ferrari brought so many upgrades before and nothing of them worked. You can't tell me suddenly that they found so much time.

If that is the case the car needs the new full package from the next race.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 20 Oct 2024, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

SilviuAgo

If we are complaining what about Hamilton? What a strange Q1. With those laps from Lawson, Gasly...Hamilton out in P19, both Williams out...hmmm

Darth-Piekus

I have a feeling Hamilton is being sabotaged by his team. These performances cannot be explained. I would understand one bad performance but so many bad performances from an 8 times world champion?
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 20 Oct 2024, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.