2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

TyreSlip wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 22:57
Rikrikrik wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 21:27
I said in June " Aston Martin will be the worst team until end of year" anyone still doubt about that? Its depressing to watch. That car is much worse than before.
It was painful to see Alonso constantly let off in sector one because of severe understeer. He can't ride the curbs much either because the car becomes so unstable. Traction of course is appalling.
I couldn't believe that Alonso asked for 4 more ticks of DF on the front wing on the tire change. How could they be so off ?

zoroastar

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:21
A lot of us said Crack and Fallows need to go… And a lot also said to give them time… Time’s up, heads need to roll!
when newey gets in there he will know who needs to go after some time. right now, the question remains, who are they going to replace them with? with cardille coming, would it be smart to fire fallows? or would it be better to see if the 2 of them together can do things better. what if the new wind tunnel finally gets them answers, and then u got rid of one of the most highly rated guys on the grid to one of the competitors. its hard to say. they need to do better, i just hope they are keeping them around because they know that its not their incompetence causing all the sh$$ upgrades theyve had for 2 years straight. i think they are kinda playing the long game atm, and waiting on newey to make some of those calls once hes been there a minute. at least theyll be using their own wind tunnel for next years upgrades and the 26 car
maybe andy cowell will make some changes if he sees them needing to be done in the meantime, but i dont know if lawrence feels comfortable firing people unless he knows for sure its for the better. and it seems from the outside that its pretty convoluted.

RedNEO

zoroastar wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 04:44
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
A lot of us said Crack and Fallows need to go… And a lot also said to give them time… Time’s up, heads need to roll!
when newey gets in there he will know who needs to go after some time. right now, the question remains, who are they going to replace them with? with cardille coming, would it be smart to fire fallows? or would it be better to see if the 2 of them together can do things better. what if the new wind tunnel finally gets them answers, and then u got rid of one of the most highly rated guys on the grid to one of the competitors. its hard to say. they need to do better, i just hope they are keeping them around because they know that its not their incompetence causing all the sh$$ upgrades theyve had for 2 years straight. i think they are kinda playing the long game atm, and waiting on newey to make some of those calls once hes been there a minute. at least theyll be using their own wind tunnel for next years upgrades and the 26 car
maybe andy cowell will make some changes if he sees them needing to be done in the meantime, but i dont know if lawrence feels comfortable firing people unless he knows for sure its for the better. and it seems from the outside that its pretty convoluted.
In a way these 4 months waiting for Newey/Cowells inputs and the new wind tunnel/simulator will feel less painful once the racing is over. They really need a hard reset after another ludicrous update. Still hope they can end the year on somewhat of a good note. Let’s hope for a Christmas miracle and a vastly different much faster 2025 car and beyond.

zoroastar

RedNEO wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 06:19
zoroastar wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 04:44
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
In a way these 4 months waiting for Newey/Cowells inputs and the new wind tunnel/simulator will feel less painful once the racing is over. They really need a hard reset after another ludicrous update. Still hope they can end the year on somewhat of a good note. Let’s hope for a Christmas miracle and a vastly different much faster 2025 car and beyond.
yeah for real. they have, at times been better with their updates after they have time to get them dialed in, but yeah, still isnt gonna make them clearly faster than haas and RB. i think cowells first race appearance was today so maybe there are some things happening sooner than later. i doubt if anyone is very comfortable in their positions right now, so we just gotta hope that whatever is wrong with them gets fixed. i hope that it is something with mercedes tunnel. it is strange how they both seem so clueless about how to improve their car in a way that it works every week. and performamce changes from one session to the next. they need a truely stable baseline. hopefully some of their new hirings can at least point them in the right direction to get that.

-wkst-
-wkst-

I switched the TV off after the 2nd time ALO got overtaken in the first stint. Right decision obviously.

I am no fan of quick decisions (which the team will maybe regret afterwards). 5 races left and it's gonna be painful.

But only afterwards the decisions should be made, in accordance with Cowell, Newey and Cardile.

krich
krich

Something is so wrong with Mercedes WT that is also affecting AM

Both updated cars had bottoming

The best upgrade AM has is its own WT from next year

-wkst-
-wkst-

Everyone says that even the best wind tunnel can't replicate bottoming, I fear it's a little bit more complicated than just having the best tunnel, like everything in F1.

Ferrari won and dominated, but was a bottoming victim not long ago.

McLaren had the floor right with their Miami upgrade, but are obviously afraid to touch it again.

Waz
Waz

McLaren's worst seasons coincided with using a different wind tunnel away from the factory.

This is not an excuse, it's just plain fact. They're using a tunnel on weekends only at a different site. So much time and effort is wasted packing up equipment and models and transporting to Mercedes facility. Then more time is wasted setting up the equipment to gather the data before even setting the models.

It must honestly be a nightmare scenario, on top of the fact that Mercedes have not updated the tunnel much or if at all since they bought it.

collindsilva
collindsilva

we cannot have the same issue 2 years in a row, the team would have taken a very cautious approach not to replicate the downtrend and have taken ample time to analysis the data and bring the upgrades.
Unless it can be pointed to deliberate tampering of the WT data to provide misguided values, this is just my assumption.

laspeorasdeaston

On a "positive note", they are testing 2025 parts on the 2024 chasis so at least they are already gathering data from what's wrong or right. Also, I relate to you guys, we need to see how the team upgrades the '25 car with the new WT. There must be something wrong with Mercedes WT because they had also quite the bad upgrade package here at COTA. Also, I believe their rear suspension is a limitation, thought if a smaller team like Williams is using it and its ahead of us, so it's no excuse or justification.

After these upgrades, me as a person confident on AM capabilities, I believe we have to wait and see until the '25 upgrades with the new WT, not even launch spec. Look at McLaren 2023. They had a horrible launch car that after upgrading with their new wind tunnel made a huge leap forward. I am maybe too optimistic on this team but come on, Fallows, Cardille, Newey, Cowell, new factory, new WT.... At least something must change

-wkst-
-wkst-

It's simply not true that the turnaround at McLaren was only due to the wind tunnel. The whole 2023 car was developed in Cologne, the wind tunnel was operational only in October 2023, so even the wind tunnel work for the 2024 car until there was in Cologne (if there was any).

Stella said last year in an interview that you sign off the package for the first GP of the season around christmas (parts need to be manufactured to be ready for the test). So it's pretty clear that the AMR25 will be fully developed in Brackley and only the in season developments will be tested in the new tunnel.

edit:
A good interview with Krack about the wind tunnel

GoranF1
GoranF1

And when I said over a year ago that Mercedes will be sabotaging AM. Mr. know it all, Mr. grumpy @Wskt unleashed his fury on me.....YES Mercedes is sabotaging AM, yes they are not telling them something about wind tunnel and yes they given them inferior gearbox whit flexing rear suspension mounting points. Why?
Well they can swallow seeing Mclaren who is in F1 forever beating them but they sure as hell not gonna allow new customer team beating them.
Dan Fallows is not the problem he will work great under Newey
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

SSJ4
SSJ4

yeah as much as fallows has been a let down. he will work better under cardille and newey

diffuser

krich wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 09:45
Something is so wrong with Mercedes WT that is also affecting AM

Both updated cars had bottoming

The best upgrade AM has is its own WT from next year
That has to do with all the bumps on cota. Not sure how you think that relates back to the WT?

TyreSlip
TyreSlip

laspeorasdeaston wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 10:44
On a "positive note", they are testing 2025 parts on the 2024 chasis so at least they are already gathering data from what's wrong or right. Also, I relate to you guys, we need to see how the team upgrades the '25 car with the new WT. There must be something wrong with Mercedes WT because they had also quite the bad upgrade package here at COTA. Also, I believe their rear suspension is a limitation, thought if a smaller team like Williams is using it and its ahead of us, so it's no excuse or justification.
Williams is still using the older pull-rod suspension from Mercedes, as Vowles said Mercedes was too late on informing them of the final push-rod/gearbox specification and didn't want to compromise design of the 2024 car.

As bad as Mercedes is, that car is light years better than the Aston Martin. Sauber is much closer to us than Aston Martin is to the 8th best car (look at the race pace stats).