2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

the EDGE wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 12:44
I'm surprised they didn't pit Oscar for fastest lap, he had enough of a gap to retain position
I think that comes to two reasons. One is that they were catching Verstappen quite quickly, perhaps they hoped to overtake Verstappen or just force him to lose time defending. With Norris almost making 5 seconds that was a good idea. Second idea may be to get close to VER if he gets a 5 second penalty. By the time it was clear nothing of that will happen, it was too late to pit.

Such a shame PIA was not closer to NOR when NOR overtook VER. I doubt VER would be able to keep under 5 seconds if PIA was attacking him.

Seerix
Seerix

That's right, Tom told Oscar to keep close to VER in case Max got 5s penalty. Only in last lap Osc slowed down to get more than 5s gap to Lando.

deargodhelpme
deargodhelpme

Seanspeed wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 13:30
deargodhelpme wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 05:06
So much for the reporting that McLaren were surprised by how good the upgrades were. I never believed this narrative anyway.
The reporting that came directly from the mouth of Mclaren? lol
Yeah, that's my point.

Also, of course they're going to deflect on the issue of flexiwings and the advantage it gives them. Every team in their situation would do the same, even if they know they are taking the mick. Come on now, dont be so naive. They were very lucky the FIA did not introduce harder deflection tests mid-season, as they would have been completely entitled to do, and for good reason. Mclaren's front wing flexing is extreme and so insanely deliberate.
Of course it's deliberate, not really sure what you're trying to say.

Luscion
Luscion

McLaren continues to develop its car with the aim of winning the championship.

Apart from the updates that came last weekend, we will also see new things in Mexico and Brazil this weekend.

Unlike in the US, these two updates may impact performance more.

Big Gun
Big Gun

If someone like Flavio ran this team and if Piastri can find a bit of pace, for the rest of the season If Mclaren are ahead of RBR I would use Piastri tactically to ruin Maxs race by aggressively attacking him on track, and if ahead of Max go slow as possible to back Max into the Ferraris for example, Otherwise Norris has a low % to be champ.
Piastri could be the perfect number 2 driver. Not close enough to challenge Lando, but close enough if the Mclaren have pace to really ruffle Max's feathers.

the EDGE
the EDGE

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 13:45
the EDGE wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 12:44
I'm surprised they didn't pit Oscar for fastest lap, he had enough of a gap to retain position
I think that comes to two reasons. One is that they were catching Verstappen quite quickly, perhaps they hoped to overtake Verstappen or just force him to lose time defending. With Norris almost making 5 seconds that was a good idea. Second idea may be to get close to VER if he gets a 5 second penalty. By the time it was clear nothing of that will happen, it was too late to pit.

Such a shame PIA was not closer to NOR when NOR overtook VER. I doubt VER would be able to keep under 5 seconds if PIA was attacking him.
Aha, that makes sense

BMMR61

Seanspeed wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 13:30
deargodhelpme wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 05:06
So much for the reporting that McLaren were surprised by how good the upgrades were. I never believed this narrative anyway.
The reporting that came directly from the mouth of Mclaren? lol

Also, of course they're going to deflect on the issue of flexiwings and the advantage it gives them. Every team in their situation would do the same, even if they know they are taking the mick. Come on now, dont be so naive. They were very lucky the FIA did not introduce harder deflection tests mid-season, as they would have been completely entitled to do, and for good reason. Mclaren's front wing flexing is extreme and so insanely deliberate.
Don't be ridiculous. The deflection was so small it wasn't noticed, even by other teams, until Baku, and even then only by the extremely low sun behind the cars. There was a small deflection at 345kph which would not have come into play at most circuits before Baku. Nevertheless, the car conformed with the deflection tests. The way these things are dealt with is usually done quietly - even your beloved Ferrari with it's alleged illegal fuelling was dealt with in "non-disclosure". Mate, you've been around the F1 traps long enough to have worked out how F1 rolls - teams that don't push the boundaries have no chance to be in the race for top dog. As for "insanely deliberate", most things in F1 are deliberate and there are no levels of deliberate - it either is deliberate or not.

chrisgr
chrisgr

Big Gun wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 15:29
If someone like Flavio ran this team and if Piastri can find a bit of pace, for the rest of the season If Mclaren are ahead of RBR I would use Piastri tactically to ruin Maxs race by aggressively attacking him on track, and if ahead of Max go slow as possible to back Max into the Ferraris for example, Otherwise Norris has a low % to be champ.
Piastri could be the perfect number 2 driver. Not close enough to challenge Lando, but close enough if the Mclaren have pace to really ruffle Max's feathers.
Even Norris should be more aggressive from now on. Verstappen maybe can afford one crash (and DNF) but not two. He would be dangerously close to Leclerc then. He is catching up.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

BMMR61 wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 15:38
Don't be ridiculous. The deflection was so small it wasn't noticed, even by other teams, until Baku, and even then only by the extremely low sun behind the cars. There was a small deflection at 345kph which would not have come into play at most circuits before Baku. Nevertheless, the car conformed with the deflection tests. The way these things are dealt with is usually done quietly - even your beloved Ferrari with it's alleged illegal fuelling was dealt with in "non-disclosure". Mate, you've been around the F1 traps long enough to have worked out how F1 rolls - teams that don't push the boundaries have no chance to be in the race for top dog. As for "insanely deliberate", most things in F1 are deliberate and there are no levels of deliberate - it either is deliberate or not.
Clearly talking about front wings here man. The one where Mclaren's flexing was noticed quite early on and is the most extreme of any other car.

And yes, I'm aware of how this stuff works and I'm not maligning Mclaren for developing the parts they did. I'm just saying they were extremely lucky that the FIA did not step in and do something about the front wings, as they have in the past, with good justification. There is literally precedent for making changes mid-season with this. And whether you'll admit it or not, we all know why FIA didn't want to step in and do it this time...

BMMR61

The rules are based on a static load test, that is the measure, not deflection in cm. If it passes the test it passes and such a rule/test is unlikely to be changed mid-season. And "we all know why" - I know the implication. I see little to support McLaren getting favourable treatment by FIA - the RW was decided to be outside the spirit and agreed should be removed, the Red Bull bib height adjuster was allowed because, without adequate proof, couldn't be banned and wasn't required to be removed, just immobilised. Numerous borderline/dubious interpretations on racing decisions have gone against McLaren since Austria so the FIA have not been very favourable to McLaren. Why should Lando receive his final "track limits violation" when it occurred from being forced off track (Austria)??? Or Oscar in qualifying (no time gained) at same event Interpretations.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Big Gun wrote:
24 Oct 2024, 15:29
No, what you're describing is what the team should be asking Oscar to do, it is certainly what Red Bull asks Checo to do.

Is Flavio ran the team then Oscar would outright be asked to take Max out of a couple of races!!
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

Watto
Watto

dialtone
dialtone

Watto wrote:
Will be rejected as usual as you cannot demonstrate the stewards didn’t read the rulebook, and all telemetry and camera angles are available, even if ignored by the stewards. Stewards investigated themselves and found no wrongdoing.

BMMR61

Too much credibility at stake for them to admit the possibility they interpreted things wrong - despite the incident being the major F1 talking point of the week. This will just confirm the way Max blocks any overtaking attempts is legitimate and the pattern will go on.

Watto
Watto

dialtone wrote:
25 Oct 2024, 02:19
Watto wrote:
Will be rejected as usual as you cannot demonstrate the stewards didn’t read the rulebook, and all telemetry and camera angles are available, even if ignored by the stewards. Stewards investigated themselves and found no wrongdoing.
Tend to agree.
But they are trying at least I guess.