2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bananapeel23

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Ben1980 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 09:48
This season could be a start, middle, end of Red Bull, Mclaren and Ferrari.

Though thr narrative will be Lando blew it.
Because he did.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

bananapeel23 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 13:09
Ben1980 wrote:

Because he did.
Leclerc and Ferrari bottled it after Monaco.

It is clear they had fastest car, especially since Monza.

BMMR61

McLaren (via Piastri) seem happy enough with the pace at Austin last weekend and that some of it came down to not hitting the setup early enough.

Best news is the team announced two more upgrades (after Mexico) to come.
https://pitdebrief.com/post/2024-f1-rac ... g-piastri/

Ben1980
Ben1980

bananapeel23 wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

Because he did.
People just believing the planted narrative.

Have Mclaren thrown away points, yep. Have they thrown away enough points to be ahead at this point, nope. If Ferrari come good in the end, it all becomes irrelevant anyway.

CjC
CjC

BMMR61 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 13:43
McLaren (via Piastri) seem happy enough with the pace at Austin last weekend and that some of it came down to not hitting the setup early enough.

Best news is the team announced two more upgrades (after Mexico) to come.
https://pitdebrief.com/post/2024-f1-rac ... g-piastri/
That is good news about more upgrades.
As far as I’m aware there is another coming to Brazil.
Ferrari have said that if they do bring another update it would be a small one at Qatar, perhaps McLaren have Qatar penciled in for another update too.
Just a fan's point of view

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Meh, as exciting as upgrades can be I'm looking more for evidence that the prious upgrades in cota and the floor here at Mexico work as expected.
Mclaren was a fantastic all-rounder on all circuits but suddenly cota doesn't suit them and here they seem quite far back from ferrari.

What's happened here?

stewie325
stewie325

Mcl_G10 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 14:38
Meh, as exciting as upgrades can be I'm looking more for evidence that the prious upgrades in cota and the floor here at Mexico work as expected.
Mclaren was a fantastic all-rounder on all circuits but suddenly cota doesn't suit them and here they seem quite far back from ferrari.

What's happened here?
You might have missed the Flexi Wings thread... :wink:

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

stewie325 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 14:46
Mcl_G10 wrote:

What's happened here?
Not sure that's the reason. More likely the upgrades haven't bought the latimer intended along with upsetting the balance slightly

deargodhelpme
deargodhelpme

The COTA upgrades were more for future races and not so much COTA itself according to Zak. IMO prep for the new floor here in Mexico.

Can't really make too many conclusions yet because of the nature of FP2 and Lando didn't run in FP1. Anyone have any ideas as to what upgrades they will bring in Brazil, though?

CjC
CjC

Mcl_G10 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 15:01
stewie325 wrote:
Mcl_G10 wrote:

What's happened here?
Not sure that's the reason. More likely the upgrades haven't bought the latimer intended along with upsetting the balance slightly
I think Mclaren having alter all of their rear wings for mini drs has had quite a bit of an impact.
I think it was first introduced at Zandvoort (Lando walked it) and was last raced in Singapore (Lando walked it)
First race without mini drs in COTA and they at best an equal to Ferrari, just not in the opening laps on the medium stint.

Thats why I’m looking to see more of their upgrades. They have lost easy laptime with the lack of mini drs and need to legitimately find laptime now to fend off Ferrari for the WCC

mwillems

stewie325 wrote:
Mcl_G10 wrote:

What's happened here?
Or, we weren't that far away from Ferraris pace, had a rubbish T1 and got stuck behind a better driver in a slower car.

Which is the reality.

Setup screwed the sprint race. We got POLE (Austin does suit us?) for the race and struggled to recover after lap 1.

All season we've had races where we weren't the clear fastest. We've brought less upgrades.

But but.... flexiwings!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bananapeel23

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 13:34
bananapeel23 wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:

Because he did.
Leclerc and Ferrari bottled it after Monaco.

It is clear they had fastest car, especially since Monza.
Ferrari absolutely bottled it with the horrific 4 race stretch. Leclerc not so much. His one real mistake was Baku, which only ended up costing him 7 points.

I'd bet money on Leclerc winning the WDC if Ferrari didn't bottle it. So I'm fully in agreement with you.

Still that doesn't mean that McLaren and Norris didn't bottle it massively. Maybe you could argue Norris shouldn't win the WDC in that car, but it should be a whole lot closer than it is. Norris should not be 22 points ahead of Leclerc with 4 Ferrari races essentially being writeoffs. A lot of that is on McLaren for sure, but Norris has had some pretty awful performances and misjudged risks a few too many times.

CjC
CjC

Don’t forget Lando has had a DNF

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 15:59
stewie325 wrote:
Mcl_G10 wrote:

What's happened here?
Or, we weren't that far away from Ferraris pace, had a rubbish T1 and got stuck behind a better driver in a slower car.

Which is the reality.

Setup screwed the sprint race. We got POLE (Austin does suit us?) for the race and struggled to recover after lap 1.

All season we've had races where we weren't the clear fastest. We've brought less upgrades.

But but.... flexiwings!
Completely agreed. McLaren was never a dominant car except in high downforce tracks (Hungary, Zaandvoort and Singapore were three easy wins).

On all other tracks they were in the mix just like in Austin but never dominant.

As always, clear air is king and I'm confident it would be a much better result if Verstappen didn't push Lando offtrack in T1 to make him P4.

SilviuAgo

Some data from yesterday:

According to Formula Data Analysis, in FP2 🔴SAI was 0.178s quicker than 🟠PIA, but McL's engine mode was clearly lower! 😏

1)TOP SPEEDS
Ferrari: 352km/h... and it's still FP2!
+5km/h vs RedBull, +9km/h vs McL

2)BEST SECTORS
In fact, SAI/LEC were quickest in S1 (two long straights)
McL dominated the slow S3

3)Carlossainz55 vs OscarPiastri
SAI's higher engine power is clear as day: he gained significantly through all the straights

Once McL turns up the power, they should be on par or quicker than Ferrari 🔥