2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 20:59
MTudor wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 20:57
When I saw the clip from yesterday with Lando,he said there is not much improvment and he made a smirk,Iknew then that they are on the right path :)))
Well if you go by FP3, he would be right because Oscar was faster than him on the older spec floor.
It's just FP as usual but we do need to remind ourselves that Norris didn't run in FP1. Also he had to evaluate the floor. It's likely he is not at his limit. I expect him to put 1-2 tenths on Piastri in qualifying. Hopefully for front row lockout.

How will the fans with memory of 1 race react to that.

mwillems

SilviuAgo wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 17:26
Some data from yesterday:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ga0irXhbMAE ... ame=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ga0kLfob0AA ... ame=medium

According to Formula Data Analysis, in FP2 🔴SAI was 0.178s quicker than 🟠PIA, but McL's engine mode was clearly lower! 😏

1)TOP SPEEDS
Ferrari: 352km/h... and it's still FP2!
+5km/h vs RedBull, +9km/h vs McL
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ga0ESRma4AA ... name=large

2)BEST SECTORS
In fact, SAI/LEC were quickest in S1 (two long straights)
McL dominated the slow S3
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ga0ESReaQAA ... name=large

3)Carlossainz55 vs OscarPiastri
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ga0ESReagAA ... name=large
SAI's higher engine power is clear as day: he gained significantly through all the straights

Once McL turns up the power, they should be on par or quicker than Ferrari 🔥
We are already faster than Ferrari in FP3.

Ferrari are slower on a quick lap. I don't know they pushed more, they just tend to have a set up that has more top speed and higher revs. You'll see the same trait in Q.

They'll be better in the race, but right now it's looking business as usual for Mclaren
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Emag wrote:
MTudor wrote:
When I saw the clip from yesterday with Lando,he said there is not much improvment and he made a smirk,Iknew then that they are on the right path :)))
Well if you go by FP3, he would be right because Oscar was faster than him on the older spec floor.
Is Oscar still not running the new front wing either?

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 21:30
Emag wrote:
MTudor wrote:
Is Oscar still not running the new front wing either?
I honestly can't tell the difference between the "new" wing they supposedly brought in Austin and the old one. It looked almost entirely the same.

mwillems

I would imagine it's the flex. Given the high altitude they may run the more flexible wing since it won't deflect quite as much here.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Good job so far. Now to find more time for the qualifications. We need two Mclarens at the front. Anyone has telemetries to see whos pushing more and whos pushing less?

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

BMMR61 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 19:20
I agree with much of your points but with the proviso that the margins are so small as to make your final point an exaggeration.

Yes it can be argued that Lando could have, even should have scored more points against Max, and crucially Charles. Both these drivers were at the outset of 2024 far more battle hardened than Lando who has only been a race winner for a few months. So my premise is that Lando doesn't (yet?) have what it takes to challenge Charles in a car of similar pace AND that Ferrari could be accused of "bottling it" though I think even that is a little strong. Ferrari and Charles have had a car with underlying pace to battle at the front but looked incompetent at times like Canada and Silverstone where they couldn't find the setup. McLaren missed the setup at Austin (on Friday) - massively - but got back to a closer point of competitiveness the following day. Once again the margins are very close by F1 standards to start talking of FAIL. "100% blown it"??? Harsh or demonstrably wrong? They're leading the WCC. When the season concludes it looks likely that the premature (IMO) idea that McLaren should have applied strong team orders since Hungary will have faded away. Lando hasn't carried enough strength to the fight, his natural speed notwithstanding, to defeat Max, and to a degree, Charles.

All the shoulda, coulda, woulda bandied around by many critics (not just of McLaren) has been overblown given the wonderful season we are enjoying. Just as an example, pundit Will Buxton has been excoriating of McLaren over team orders. I never for a moment thought Lando had a serious chance unless Max and Red Bull faced late season calamities. Even with RB's difficulties mid season they haven't been that uncompetitive to not challenge for podiums. Ferrari have discovered setups to maximise their Monza upgrade. McLaren have been consistent challengers since Miami, sometimes the quickest, other times not quite there. As it would be unfair to be highly critical of Ferrari not getting a car with great potential in the window at times due to setup and a lack of understanding, so it is with McLaren. In the run to the end of the year it may prove crucial that Ferrari have two very experienced and fast drivers who have been classy and not to be underestimated. It will be great to watch how it unfolds.
Mclaren are leading the WCC by virtue of Red Bull inexplicably retaining Perez when he's been utterly useless 85% of the season. That said, even with a better driver in Perez's place, I do think Mclaren would have had a good shot at WCC regardless, but that's again testament to their simply having a better car for the large majority of the season. Anything less would be embarrassing.

It will be interesting to watch how it unfolds, no doubt, and as a Ferrari fan, I expect us to be a wild card spoiler who can hurt or help either Verstappen or Mclaren depending on the circumstances, though I think we're more likely to hurt Verstappen, unless Red Bull have really gotten their stuff in order(which I think without Newey, I'm thinking is less likely).

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Emag wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 19:28
The problem with people like you is that you consider Verstappen a god-tier driver.
Why would that be a problem? Do you think otherwise?

Also, so much of the rest of your post is just a weird strawman.

"But to claim what McLaren has had this year is in any level comparable to the most dominant driver-car combination in the history of the sport is frankly just a laughable suggestion."

Where on earth did I say anything remotely like this? You're either confusing me with somebody else or it's just some weird paranoia speaking.

That said, you'd have to be stretching reality quite drastically to argue that the Mclaren hasn't ultimately been the best car for the large majority of this season. And that will probably continue til the end, making it like at least 75% of the season where Mclaren has had the advantage on their biggest rival.

I dont understand why y'all are so unwilling to acknowledge this. As a Ferrari fan, I had no issue recognizing that Ferrari had the fastest car in 2008 and lost the championship to one of the greats, or in 2018 had at the very least an equal opportunity for the title and blew it(again, to the same great).
Last edited by Seanspeed on 26 Oct 2024, 22:49, edited 2 times in total.

Darth-Piekus

As I said before Mclaren has never had the last 10 years a car that dominant as the RB20 and RB19. Those cars especially the RB20 were so good that Perez a mediocre driver came 3rd in the WDC literally at the last race and 2nd comfortably the next year and he was just as bad as this year. Has anyone here seen Mclaren being on that dominating level yet? I bet that if Mclaren was as good as the RB20 they wouldnt have lost a single race since we have a better driver set up as a team. We can even go to last year to see telemetries and understand how far in front Red Bull was.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 26 Oct 2024, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 22:48
As I said before Mclaren has never had the last 10 years a car that dominant as the RB20 and RB19. Those cars especially the RB20 were so good that Perez a mediocre driver came 3rd in the WDC literally at the last race and 2nd comfortably the next year and he was just as bad as this year. Has anyone here Mclaren being on that dominating level yet? I bet that if Mclaren was as good as the RB20 they wouldnt have lost a single race since we gave a better driver set up.
Y'all just seem in a weird cope mode.

Regardless of what happened in any previous season, the Mclaren this year has easily been the best car overall for the large majority of it. Therefore one of its drivers should be expected to be able to win the WDC in it. Norris and the team have fumbled the ball so much though that this might not happen(though it's still possible). And it doesn't help that they are indeed against a 'god tier' driver with Verstappen who has driven out of his mind to maximize results almost any given weekend this season, even when they've clearly not had a great car.

Is it really just so hard to admit that your team and lead driver have made mistakes and underperformed at times that have led them to be in their current situation?
Last edited by Seanspeed on 26 Oct 2024, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

Is it coping though? Perez came easily second I repeat. The Red Bull car had half a second or more to the rest. I have yet to see Mclaren being that fast. God tier drivers ended with Senna and Schumi.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 22:57
Is it coping though? Perez came easily second I repeat. The Red Bull car had half a second or more to the rest.
Perez is currently 8th in the driver's standings.

Whatever point you think you're trying to make is ruined by this one simple fact.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Seanspeed wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 22:58
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Is it coping though? Perez came easily second I repeat. The Red Bull car had half a second or more to the rest.

Whatever point you think you're trying to make is ruined by this one simple fact.
Are you trying to claim that Red Bull was not supremely dominant car last year? Perez finished P2.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 23:01
Seanspeed wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 22:58
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Are you trying to claim that Red Bull was not supremely dominant car last year? Perez finished P2.
I guess I'm simply puzzled by why you think bringing up last year is somehow so much more important than what's happening this year.

bluechris

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Is it coping though? Perez came easily second I repeat. The Red Bull car had half a second or more to the rest. I have yet to see Mclaren being that fast. God tier drivers ended with Senna and Schumi.
This is a true statement in my eyes also. I never saw a true dominant MCLaren this year except from minor exceptions in very few races. This is not the same as RB & MB eras of the previous years and count also that this year there is also Ferrari in a uptrend.
Yes the team did some mistakes here and there or even the drivers but you cannot during a single season where suddenly you are good, to be perfect everywhere after all the previous years in a midfield status. You need a bit of time and patience to use to it.