Did NASCAR steal JPM's first oval win?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Shrek
Shrek

Re: Did NASCAR steal JPM's first oval win?

found this
http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2009/08 ... index.html
sometimes NASCAR can be dicks
Spencer

jon-mullen

Boy, the whole NASCAR prerace would be a loss if it weren't for Chad Knaus I think. He could easily be a dick and say he's busy enough managing a 3-time Sprint Cup Champ but he goes on anyway. Class act.

Larry Mac cracks me up though: "The way we do it now is much more sophisticated." Really? Revs * gear ratios * unit conversions is sophisticated?

And by the way, if your speed limit is 55 mph with 5 mph of leeway, you've got a 60 mph speed limit. These guys are racers, not truckers. Give them 5 mph and they'll take 5.01.

In the end, though, JPM made the chase and while he's arguably down 10 points from where he could've been he's still very much in contention, 4th in the standings after today. Can anyone stop Mark Martin's old ass though?
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Mr Alcatraz

JPM's race was awesome. Really great job of charging all race.
He is going to be a big factor in the chase =D>
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Ray

As much as I hate NASCAR, I'll most likely at least check from time to time to see how JPM is doing. It's a testament to both his skill and the level of competition that he got in the Chase and Kyle Busch didn't. I hope he does well, but I fear NASCAR with do their best to make sure Johnson makes history.

PNSD
PNSD

Great race today! Very agressive from JPM, but most of all a very happy JPM!

Shrek
Shrek

jon-mullen wrote:Boy, the whole NASCAR prerace would be a loss if it weren't for Chad Knaus I think. He could easily be a dick and say he's busy enough managing a 3-time Sprint Cup Champ but he goes on anyway. Class act.

Larry Mac cracks me up though: "The way we do it now is much more sophisticated." Really? Revs * gear ratios * unit conversions is sophisticated?

And by the way, if your speed limit is 55 mph with 5 mph of leeway, you've got a 60 mph speed limit. These guys are racers, not truckers. Give them 5 mph and they'll take 5.01.

In the end, though, JPM made the chase and while he's arguably down 10 points from where he could've been he's still very much in contention, 4th in the standings after today. Can anyone stop Mark Martin's old ass though?
Maybe Larry Mac meant back from when he was crew chief.
Spencer

Ciro Pabón

http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2009/09 ... index.html

"Of course you realize...this means war."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9jHa-y2 ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Big factor? I think he can win. That's a factor, sure. 8)
Ciro

Mr Alcatraz

Ciro Pabón wrote:http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2009/09 ... index.html

"Of course you realize...this means war."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9jHa-y2 ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Big factor? I think he can win. That's a factor, sure. 8)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9ygjnOQQA[/youtube]

Bluto bears a striking resemblance to JPM, and Popeye to MM :lol:
Appropriately (and ironically) enough a controversial result! :wtf: :shock: :lol:

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I only watched the last 30-ish laps but it was interesting how the commentators were dead sure that there was going to be at least one safety car to bunch up the cars, and surely enough there was the first of many a few minutes later. Coincidence or not...? IMO it all seems way to choreographed, but unfortunately the #11 didn't take the cue and win as he was 'supposed' to in this weeks rendition.

And Montoya is really aggressive, maybe too much for most people's tastes.

Earnhardt Jr. was really pissed off when that one guy crashed him out, almost to the point of crying it seemed. But before they interviewed him the team was about to send him back out, as they were literally straightening out his car's bodywork by hand.

BTW, I don't watch NASCAR on a regular basis, it's just that there was nothing else on TV while I was channel surfing.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Ray

mx_tifosi wrote:I only watched the last 30-ish laps but it was interesting how the commentators were dead sure that there was going to be at least one safety car to bunch up the cars, and surely enough there was the first of many a few minutes later. Coincidence or not...? IMO it all seems way to choreographed, but unfortunately the #11 didn't take the cue and win as he was 'supposed' to in this weeks rendition.

And Montoya is really aggressive, maybe too much for most people's tastes.

Earnhardt Jr. was really pissed off when that one guy crashed him out, almost to the point of crying it seemed. But before they interviewed him the team was about to send him back out, as they were literally straightening out his car's bodywork by hand.

BTW, I don't watch NASCAR on a regular basis, it's just that there was nothing else on TV while I was channel surfing.
Well NASCAR has a habit of having pileups close to the end of certain races because of past history. The commentators have either been drivers, pit crew members, or TV presenters for sometimes 30 years so they know what tracks are like and how the races usually play out. So they get predictions pretty darn close about that stuff. Not discounting the 'cautions' NASCAR throws when a good 3 lap battle is in the cards between cars that are really close in performance or the points leaders are mixing it up.

Earnhardt Jr has been going backwards for the past few seasons and it's really hard to keep taking disappointment after disappointment for so long. The guy has the talent, but everything has been kicking his ass for a few years now. I really feel sorry for the guy because he's pouring his heart out into making it work for him and everything comes up bust all the time. Shame seeing such a hard working guy having bad luck week in week out.

jon-mullen

Shrek wrote:Maybe Larry Mac meant back from when he was crew chief.
Yeah, I'm sure he did, but then he goes and describes it and it sounds like they do it the exact same way except now they've got a few LEDs. It's still just figuring out your speed from the revs and ultimately having the driver control it. I guess the last part is down to the cars still being carburated though.
Ray wrote:Well NASCAR has a habit of having pileups close to the end of certain races because of past history. The commentators have either been drivers, pit crew members, or TV presenters for sometimes 30 years so they know what tracks are like and how the races usually play out. So they get predictions pretty darn close about that stuff. Not discounting the 'cautions' NASCAR throws when a good 3 lap battle is in the cards between cars that are really close in performance or the points leaders are mixing it up.
Right, they don't HAVE to invent cautions at the end of races to fit in a few more commercials and get a photo finish, the drivers will do it for them. But I still think sometimes they do.
Ray wrote:Earnhardt Jr has been going backwards for the past few seasons and it's really hard to keep taking disappointment after disappointment for so long. The guy has the talent, but everything has been kicking his ass for a few years now. I really feel sorry for the guy because he's pouring his heart out into making it work for him and everything comes up bust all the time. Shame seeing such a hard working guy having bad luck week in week out.
I thought after getting a win last year (which race escapes me atm) and ending that long drought he'd be back to winning but nothing really seems to help at this point. In the same car it almost looks like a given that Gordon, Martin or Johnson will beat him. I know DW's spent some time criticizing him and saying that he doesn't focus enough on the sport but I think really he's just run out of talent.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Mr Alcatraz

Ok so JPM is on the front row again this week. The talking heads are forced to mention his name (something in my opinion they avoided until now).
The All American racing series does not appear to acquiesce
to a foreigner, but he's kind of hard to ignore at this point.
I underappreciated him when he was in F1. I have a great respect for him now,
and quite frankly he has the experience and skill to win the whole shooting match.
However In the back of my mind I feel like there is a Bible Belt Anglo American bias against him. Perhaps that's my fertile imagination. Go Juan [-o<

Ray

Tazio wrote:Ok so JPM is on the front row again this week. The talking heads are forced to mention his name (something in my opinion they avoided until now).
and quite frankly he has the experience and skill to win the whole shooting match.
However In the back of my mind I feel like there is a Bible Belt Anglo American bias against him. Perhaps that's my fertile imagination. Go Juan [-o<
What broadcast have you been watching because they have been talking Juan up on every single channel they broadcast NASCAR on? Most of the reason they are talking about him now is because during the regular season he wasn't up front every week, but you can't be bothered to actually pay attention and make a sound judgement now can you? It's not your imagination that is fertile, it's your blatant ignorance. And his skill? Hardly. He's won a single race in his entire Sprint Cup career, he hasn't won on an oval. One race win doesn't make a champion.

And WTF is with all the bullshit about 'rednecks' and 'Bible Belt Anglo American' crap about? The top drivers in NASCAR aren't even from the southeastern United States. Hell the current three time running champion is from ---*ng southern California! Tony Stewart is from Indiana, so is Jeff Gordon and so on. The predjudice ones are you guys, take a look in the mirror. It pisses me off to no end to be called a 'racist', a 'redneck', and that we can only drive in circles. Are you guys any different from what you point fingers at others for doing? I think not.

JPM is by far my favorite in NASCAR right now, and if weren't for him I wouldn't even pay attention to that fixed sport. I don't watch the races, but I make sure I find out where he ran.

Mr Alcatraz

Ray wrote:
Tazio wrote:Ok so JPM is on the front row again this week. The talking heads are forced to mention his name (something in my opinion they avoided until now).
What broadcast have you been watching because they have been talking Juan up on every single channel they broadcast NASCAR on?
Yes since the Chase has started.
It's hard to ignore the pole sitter and leader of the most laps
Plus I wasn't joking when I qualified my comment by saying I have a fertile imagination! :? :mrgreen:
Perhaps I'm being a little over-critical :oops:
Go JPM

Mr Alcatraz

Ray wrote:
What broadcast have you been watching because they have been talking Juan up on every single channel they broadcast NASCAR on? Most of the reason they are talking about him now is because during the regular season he wasn't up front every week, but you can't be bothered to actually pay attention and make a sound judgement now can you? It's not your imagination that is fertile, it's your blatant ignorance. And his skill? Hardly. He's won a single race in his entire Sprint Cup career, he hasn't won on an oval. One race win doesn't make a champion.

And WTF is with all the bullshit about 'rednecks' and 'Bible Belt Anglo American' crap about? The top drivers in NASCAR aren't even from the southeastern United States. Hell the current three time running champion is from ---*ng southern California! Tony Stewart is from Indiana, so is Jeff Gordon and so on. The predjudice ones are you guys, take a look in the mirror. It pisses me off to no end to be called a 'racist', a 'redneck', and that we can only drive in circles. Are you guys any different from what you point fingers at others for doing? I think not.

JPM is by far my favorite in NASCAR right now, and if weren't for him I wouldn't even pay attention to that fixed sport. I don't watch the races, but I make sure I find out where he ran.
I guess since you edited I need to address a point in that adendum. Did I mention the term "redneck"? As for the "Bible Belt" How many other major series have a prayer From a Baptist Minister before each race? I was referring to the viewing audience not the participants
Let's not go to war over this as I'm not a big enough fan of the disipline.
BTW Jimmie Johnson grew up less than 10 miles from my home

Go Juan