2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
ispano6
170
Joined: 09 Mar 2017, 23:56
Location: my playseat

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

Vibrations and oscillations are different according to Orihara. Vibration is due to mechanical / structural frequencies. Oscillations are due to knock and ignition timing. FP1 exposed a condition that their knock limit maps hadn't accounted for and they had to adjust thermal management parameters to address it.

The redesigned internals is meant to address the immature combustion and knock issues.

SSJ4
SSJ4
35
Joined: 04 Jul 2023, 23:59

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

ispano6 wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2026, 10:34
Vibrations and oscillations are different according to Orihara. Vibration is due to mechanical / structural frequencies. Oscillations are due to knock and ignition timing. FP1 exposed a condition that their knock limit maps hadn't accounted for and they had to adjust thermal management parameters to address it.

The redesigned internals is meant to address the immature combustion and knock issues.
Were the vibrations in FP1 not down to an engine on a lot of mileage. Alonso said that and they put in a ‘fresh’engine for Saturday

User avatar
ispano6
170
Joined: 09 Mar 2017, 23:56
Location: my playseat

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

SSJ4 wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2026, 14:26


Were the vibrations in FP1 not down to an engine on a lot of mileage. Alonso said that and they put in a ‘fresh’engine for Saturday
It wasn't the root cause, since Lance had the same oscillations in FP1 and didn't require a PU change. Maybe Alonso's FP2 run caused more wear from the oscillations and justified an engine change for FP3. It very well could have been end of life after FP2. I don't know if it was that they had another PU still in the pool available or used a new one though. I'm thinking it was an already used fresher unit if that is still allowed to be fitted.

User avatar
diffuser
258
Joined: 07 Sep 2012, 13:55
Location: Montreal

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

ispano6 wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2026, 18:02
SSJ4 wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2026, 14:26


Were the vibrations in FP1 not down to an engine on a lot of mileage. Alonso said that and they put in a ‘fresh’engine for Saturday
It wasn't the root cause, since Lance had the same oscillations in FP1 and didn't require a PU change. Maybe Alonso's FP2 run caused more wear from the oscillations and justified an engine change for FP3. It very well could have been end of life after FP2. I don't know if it was that they had another PU still in the pool available or used a new one though. I'm thinking it was an already used fresher unit if that is still allowed to be fitted.
At the beginning of the season, teams use the same ICE from FP1 through to the race. Once they introduce a second ICE, it is normally brought in for FP3 and then kept in the car for qualifying and the race. They continue to use the older power unit for FP1 and FP2, which helps limit the kilometer-age on the new ICE.

Sometimes an ICE will fail during FP1 or FP2 simply because it has accumulated so much kilometer-age. This is just a general rule, though, because depending on the kilometer-age and condition, an older ICE might still be used at low power-demand circuits like Monaco.

When a third ICE is introduced, the rotation becomes even more complicated. The main point is that using a different ICE for FP3 than for FP1 and FP2 is pretty common.

User avatar
zoroastar
6
Joined: 31 Aug 2017, 08:04

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post



i cant tell if this is a real guy or some AI generated robot

sn809
sn809
0
Joined: 23 Mar 2018, 10:52

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

I think the video points out an important structure which is going to be the 2nd gearbox that AMR have ever built.

If its bad, the engine will do FA. I am just shocked they didnt bring it to the Filming day.

Thunder18
Thunder18
0
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 13:29

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

Some of these "yt video experts" talk a lot of talk to further their own views, it says nothing that we didn't know already and clearly states at the end that we'll know more after Zanvoort... Can I get those minutes of my life back 🥺

User avatar
Otromundo
0
Joined: 26 Feb 2023, 00:29
Location: Spain

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

There’s too much information, and on top of that, AI is wreaking havoc—you can't trust anyone.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have no choice but to take an interest in what people say.

I’ve been looking for pictures of Fernando during the filming day. Mainly his facial expressions. After spending quite a bit of time on it, I gave up. I decided that the most reliable source of information would be seeing his face, but I haven’t been able to verify that.

I’m a bit worried about the gearbox because from the start I included it in the 'possible sources of problems' section.

Starting Monday, I’ll be going on vacation to draw and paint in peace. The truth will be revealed in Zandvoort. I hope it will be pleasant and the start of something big.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

draghixa
draghixa
0
Joined: 18 May 2012, 14:07

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

Otromundo wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2026, 15:45
There’s too much information, and on top of that, AI is wreaking havoc—you can't trust anyone.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have no choice but to take an interest in what people say.

I’ve been looking for pictures of Fernando during the filming day. Mainly his facial expressions. After spending quite a bit of time on it, I gave up. I decided that the most reliable source of information would be seeing his face, but I haven’t been able to verify that.

I’m a bit worried about the gearbox because from the start I included it in the 'possible sources of problems' section.

Starting Monday, I’ll be going on vacation to draw and paint in peace. The truth will be revealed in Zandvoort. I hope it will be pleasant and the start of something big.
Wasn't it Jak Crawford driving in filming day? I don't think Alonso was even there.

F1RAM
F1RAM
0
Joined: 11 Jul 2026, 16:51

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

Stroll was there no! in the video AMR put out

User avatar
diffuser
258
Joined: 07 Sep 2012, 13:55
Location: Montreal

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

Otromundo wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2026, 15:45
There’s too much information, and on top of that, AI is wreaking havoc—you can't trust anyone.

Unfortunately, sometimes you have no choice but to take an interest in what people say.

I’ve been looking for pictures of Fernando during the filming day. Mainly his facial expressions. After spending quite a bit of time on it, I gave up. I decided that the most reliable source of information would be seeing his face, but I haven’t been able to verify that.

I’m a bit worried about the gearbox because from the start I included it in the 'possible sources of problems' section.

Starting Monday, I’ll be going on vacation to draw and paint in peace. The truth will be revealed in Zandvoort. I hope it will be pleasant and the start of something big.
Agreed

User avatar
diffuser
258
Joined: 07 Sep 2012, 13:55
Location: Montreal

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

sn809 wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2026, 02:50
I think the video points out an important structure which is going to be the 2nd gearbox that AMR have ever built.

If its bad, the engine will do FA. I am just shocked they didnt bring it to the Filming day.
Not knowing any real data about what's changing, you know it was a mistake. Yet AMR F1 who have àll this data and choose not to bring the gearbox are wrong. Hmm, how about that. Or maybe the "gearbox" issues have been overblow and really those issues were drivability issues caused by software and the Combustion issue?

User avatar
ispano6
170
Joined: 09 Mar 2017, 23:56
Location: my playseat

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

There is always room for improvement, even ourselves. There will be a second gearbox eventually and likely different ratios to consider for next season. There have been sync issues in low speed corners. The clutch also having had issues that caused Lance to DNF would probably be part of an improved design. They probably have figured they just need to make do with what they have and can adjust torque loads of the MGUK to smoothen out the operation. So in effect Honda's PU engineers are accommodating some of the inherent issues.

In doing so, Honda likely ended up not being able to use their desired maps and have to use harvested energy for torque smoothing instead of outright power delivery. Torque smoothing during downshifts requires the MGUK to be used instead of harvesting efficiently. I believe this causes over-heating of the hybrid system particularly the battery and CE. These components have been swapped often for AMR26.
The penalty is the appearance that the Honda PU is incapable of harvesting since it derates early on the straight compared to others. The truth is they aren't able to run the PU optimally regardless of their weak combustion energy. And Alonso did mention Honda accommodated the weaknesses of the AMR side.

Quote from Alonso from theRace:
"The biggest problem for me was the gearbox," he said. "It was impossible to drive. I lost sync in every braking point, I had no acceleration out of the corners, and the downshifts were all over the place, very random.

“Sometimes I had push, sometimes I had rear locking. That was a bad surprise."

There was more of the same on Sunday. And with Canada next on the calendar, Alonso's made it clear this is something Aston Martin - which has developed its own gearbox for the first time since 2008 - must improve.

"It was more the gearbox the whole weekend than the engine," he said.

User avatar
etusch
132
Joined: 22 Feb 2009, 23:09
Location: Turkey

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

A video a forumer shared a few pages ago comparing Alonso to the Bearman ( I think he uses ferrari powertrain) caught my attention. The AM transmission ratios were really different from the other one. The engine revs and gears were always, almost always lower. I don't know if they chose very long ratios. I haven't read anything about the compatibility of these ratios with the engine either. Maybe they're keeping that entirely internal.

It seems they'll become a more solid team towards the end of this season, having overcome their initial problems. The transmission also seems to have suffered from this beginner work. Moreover, in a formula where energy recovery is almost half of the PU power, this weakness will be even more painful, but perhaps the worst is necessary for the best.

User avatar
diffuser
258
Joined: 07 Sep 2012, 13:55
Location: Montreal

Re: 2026 Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team

Post

ispano6 wrote: ↑
01 Aug 2026, 18:45
There is always room for improvement, even ourselves. There will be a second gearbox eventually and likely different ratios to consider for next season. There have been sync issues in low speed corners. The clutch also having had issues that caused Lance to DNF would probably be part of an improved design. They probably have figured they just need to make do with what they have and can adjust torque loads of the MGUK to smoothen out the operation. So in effect Honda's PU engineers are accommodating some of the inherent issues.

In doing so, Honda likely ended up not being able to use their desired maps and have to use harvested energy for torque smoothing instead of outright power delivery. Torque smoothing during downshifts requires the MGUK to be used instead of harvesting efficiently. I believe this causes over-heating of the hybrid system particularly the battery and CE. These components have been swapped often for AMR26.
The penalty is the appearance that the Honda PU is incapable of harvesting since it derates early on the straight compared to others. The truth is they aren't able to run the PU optimally regardless of their weak combustion energy. And Alonso did mention Honda accommodated the weaknesses of the AMR side.

Quote from Alonso from theRace:
"The biggest problem for me was the gearbox," he said. "It was impossible to drive. I lost sync in every braking point, I had no acceleration out of the corners, and the downshifts were all over the place, very random.

“Sometimes I had push, sometimes I had rear locking. That was a bad surprise."

There was more of the same on Sunday. And with Canada next on the calendar, Alonso's made it clear this is something Aston Martin - which has developed its own gearbox for the first time since 2008 - must improve.

"It was more the gearbox the whole weekend than the engine," he said.
#1 By AMR F1, I mean Honda as well. I am 100% certain the decision not to bring the new gearbox had Honda's input. I highly doubt Honda said, "We need the new gearbox," and AMR replied, "No, we want the PU to suck!" Either it wasn't ready, or it wasn't necessary.

#2 Like I've said several times, gearboxes need a brief pause in torque to shift gears. When the paddle shifter is pulled, it sends a microsecond torque reduction request to the PU. If that torque pause doesn't happen, the gearbox runs into synchronization problems.

When shifting under full throttle, both the ICE and the MGU-K have to execute the torque reduction together. Under braking, the MGU-K has to do it while charging the battery without affecting brake pedal feel or the amount of braking. This is something Honda has done in the past, but as you know, the amount of power delivery and energy recovery has changed significantly under the 2026 regulations.

Honda has also said that the lack of maturity in the combustion was affecting this. All of this is to say that when a driver says the gearbox has synchronization problems, that's what they're feeling—it doesn't necessarily mean the gearbox itself is the issue. Alonso is an incredibly talented driver, but he isn't an engineer.

Again, I'm not saying this is definitely what's happening. I'm saying maybe. The fact that Honda and AMR chose not to bring the new gearbox points in that direction.

It could also have been as simple as all their data on the old ICE was the with the old gearbox and if you want to compare apples to apples changing only tge ICE gives you that direct comparison.