2010 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: 2010 cars

ok ,on Racecarengineering.com Bridgestone states the reduction in tyre size at the front was basically a consequence of the findings of 2009when on return to slicktyres with identical dimensions as 2008 grooved ones it was found that the fronts gained grip compared relative to the rears.
obviously ,all the teams who had their weight distribution perfect in will now have to look into their 2008 data and check what they did back then to find a new baseline.all those who had uncurable rear tyre issues will be happy as they only need to wait.
maybe all will arrive at understeering cars but for different reasons...

Tonn
Tonn

So the first look of F1 car with the 2010 tyres

The rear tyre width is 380mm and the front one is 330mm

Pandamasque

The picture makes it look like there's big difference in radius too.

Tonn
Tonn

Pandamasque wrote:The picture makes it look like there's big difference in radius too.
No. It´s just a different color.

Tonn
Tonn

A little better pictures

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

So did you CAD that out yourself, Tonn? If so nice work.

Terrible3
Terrible3

CAD software (NX and solidworks I am talking about) does a terrible job of perspective. Yes I know there is a perspective setting but it does a brutal job. Nice work none the less.

Tonn
Tonn

BreezyRacer wrote:So did you CAD that out yourself, Tonn? If so nice work.
Yah, I made it myself. The whole car is presented in: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7384

raceman

Tonn

impressive work on the design

=D>

tinhouse
tinhouse

Giblet wrote:
If everyone is simply going to run out of gas every race unless they drive at 9/10ths, what is the point of hiring high end racing drivers when any testing chump can drive the car that way?

To put that in perspective, this years German fast lap was 1;33.365. In order to finish the race your fastest lap could never be faster than 1:24.029 at 90% tank size. The cars finish the race almost on empty as it is.
Well no that's not true. The point is to drive at 90% capacity over the course of the race. They can still drive at 100% at some points, but to compensate they'll need to back off at others. The trukly great will be the ones who work out when to do which.

Personally that's the kind of tactical racing that I love to watch. I remember during the last but one tyre change bans, you'd see some majestic drives. A couple of drivers would scamper off flat out and shred their tyres while a wiser driver - usually Prost - would find the perfect balance between keeping the leaders in sight and keeping their tyres on and then reel them in during the closing laps.

There are any number of drivers who can drive on or around the limit, but the truly great in my book are the ones that can keep a level head and drive tactically as well as technically.

So bring it on, I say.

Matt.

Giblet
Giblet

Every thing I said is actually true, you just don't like it. The math is an average, but it is the truth and shows the extreme difference of a pedestrian 90% vs a racy 100%. Since they won't be able to pass for most of the race, and since following too close is bad for handling and heat, the field will spread out.

Wow a bunch of cars driving 9/10ths and not on the limit for a portion of the race.

Sounds exciting. Try explaining that to a new fan. "Well yeah they could go faster and be racing each other for the whole race, but we short change them by a few kilos so they have to drive like they are going to mall."

Some people like watching drivers be misers. I want ever lap to be balls out and have consequences.

Badoer can drive 9/10ths all frikkin day.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

tinhouse
tinhouse

Marathon runners don't run at 100% for a whole race. Footballers don't work at 100% for a whole game. Everybody manages to understand that, so it's not a big leap to turn that to motorsport.

When I explain why I love F1 to people it's because I think the drivers are true rennaisance men - they need to be physically fit, technically savvy, able to think tactically and work with a team to get what they want. If I wanted to watch people driving at 100% for a whole race I'd watch drag racing. Which is dull.

I actually like what you said, I just don't agree with your reasons for disliking it. Every lap still has consequences. It's just that just that I think that thrashing the hell out of a car is what boy racers with souped up street racers do, not talented professional racing drivers.

When I watch a race now I know that not every driver is driving on the limit all the time. That's what makes it interesting. For me at least.

roost89
roost89

tinhouse wrote:Footballers don't work at 100% for a whole game.
They don't, it's 110% or so they claim ;)

Anyway, please talk about 2010 cars. Like, is there anything we can get from the Jerez test that will show how the 2010 will behave? If they were running heavier, do we have some comparitive times? I think there may not be but if there are, I assume the drivers level will make comparison difficult. Anyway, the cars.

Just trying to stop the drift early :)
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

machin

What are you guys talking about??!!!

The only thing not being used 100% will be the engines... the rest of the car is being used 100%... braking, cornering etc... so the racing will be just as exciting as it always was (errrrr.... ok I mean the excitement level won't change)... for example watching a Formula ford, with only 120 ish BHP, is just as exciting to watch as an F1 car because the driver is driving to the limits around the corners... its this that makes racing exciting, not how fast it accelerates in a straight line (to a point... watching lorries accelerate isn't exciting!).

Did the excitment go down when the cars were changed from V10's to V8's... with a drop of some 15-20% in average power across a race? No.

Same thing here.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

@ machin - Did you ever see the racing before refuelling?

They do not nail it from lights to flag. They don't have the fuel to do it or the tyre management abilities to do it on one tank.

When MS started racing he raised the bar by going totally fast for each stint and it is no coincidence that his rise to prominence was also the time when refeulling was introduced. he could go 100% for each mini stint.

The management of the longer race stint was lost.

The 2010 season will be great - the cars will be fast at different fuel loads and we'll see some good, solid and necessary overtakes.

Especially with cars out of sync on tyre stops... You cannot beat a good session of defensive driving.

If they only dropped the 3 blue flags rule.....we would be rocking.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM