huge diesel engine

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Steven
Owner

huge diesel engine

Well it's not really for racing, but I guess when you manage to mount it into your VW Golf, you would get some topspeed :p

These engines are two-stroke and are started by compressed air. I think it is an engine for a huge ship, don't know for sure though

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well...I've seen an engine like that one live.....the engine I say was for a power plant......but your guess could also be correct.....big ships also have this kind of engine.

manchild
manchild

Why guessing? :wink:
These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships.
Older power plants that use oil use crude oil, burn it in order to generate steam from water which than rotates the turbines that rotate generators. Most of the older big ships that used oil also burned crude oil to generate steam that was powering steam engine rotating the propellers. Smaller ships usually use diesel engines.

BTW, this is totally crazy... I mean you can have mechanics go into the engine, check the inlets, outlets, combustion chamber... polish it a bit :lol:

Something like – “....hey guys, let's meet at sump for the lunch break” or “...if my wife calls tell her that I’m stuck in 4th cylinder”… :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scuderia_Russ

:shock: W.T.F! It's a monster!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

manchild
manchild

Monster is a small word...
Last edited by manchild on 29 Sep 2005, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

akbar21881
akbar21881

nearly 109,000 bhp!!!!!!!! oh maybe we can add a variable valve timing to it to increase power output!! and supercharger as well.........

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

And it's a two stroke to boot. As the piston reaches top bottom center, ports open at the sides of the pistons to allow the fresh air charge to enter. As well, the valve(s) at the top open to allow the exhaust out. A complete scavange of the cylinder would occur, since the intake is forced.
Quite a brute, I like the torque figures.

Spencifer_Murphy

imagine the turbo lag if u slapped a big old turbo on it? LOL!...full trottle....in 2days you'll feel the turbo kick in lol!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

manchild
manchild

Wonder what is idle for that engine?

1.5 rpm? :lol:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Engines like that are used for large cargo ships, such as the maxi-oil tankers. The engine is directly connected to the propeller, and is basically started once clear of the dockside, and shut down only when reaching destination port. It just chugs away, turning over and over. For it's design, to give reliable and efficient power, it's fantastic. I'd like to know how it's started, I suspect a lot of compressed air is used.

manchild
manchild

I've read about those new single-propeller tankers that can use their own engine only outside the ports since rotation of such huge propeller would create “tsunami” in port (diameter 9 m and weight between 90 and 100 t).
Here is the largest one I could find on the web http://www.hhiir.com/hiview.asp?ino=574&page=

f1.redbaron

The first time I saw one of those, it was a Hyndai engine with a 102,000HP. I was convinced that there was an extra zero in there somewhere. And I thought that my 225HP were decent enough :)

Here in Canada, Discovery channel has a show called "Superships". I watched it once, and I saw how they were replacing a piston in one of those engines. I couldn't believe the size of it.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

There was even one show on "Discovery" where they did a bit on Hyundai Heavy Industries, and showed the propeller being cast, machined, and installed.
Those huge diesel engines are designed to run at fixed RPM once on the open ocean, and it may be assumed their RPM range is limited. Basically, the ship is either cruising the high seas, or being towed by tugs in and out of harbour. (engine shut down)
A ship that size creates a lot of wave action, and if it ran at cruise speed close to shore, the waves would definitely be a hazard to smaller ships and the shoreline.

luisandregg
luisandregg

manchild wrote:I've read about those new single-propeller tankers that can use their own engine only outside the ports since rotation of such huge propeller would create “tsunami” in port (diameter 9 m and weight between 90 and 100 t).
Here is the largest one I could find on the web http://www.hhiir.com/hiview.asp?ino=574&page=
What kind of machine is used to manufacture such propellers, man??

iceman1uk

Scuderia_Russ wrote::shock: W.T.F! It's a monster!
Wonder if it uses a turbo :lol: