2010 cars

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Astro1
Astro1

Re: 2010 cars

n smikle wrote:I'd be surprised if I see a triple diffuser. The double diffuser pretty much takes up all the space.
Well here's one at Jerez last week. I think it has less to do with space and more with surface area?

scarbs
scarbs

BorisTheBlade wrote:@scarbs
IMHO BMW used that section for the last incarnaction of their DDD - although they didn't use the whole area in a way Toyota did it.
I agree and totally forgot that. I wonder if they will work this region harder next year?

As far as track widths go, Vasselon told me last that team want to maximise track width to reduce lateral weight transfer, thus he wasnlt keen to follow McLarens slightly compromised trackwidth to fit their wheel fairings. I would say that the aero beenfot is also to keep the width as wide as possible, more space ebtween the tyres and monocoque.
As a result less of the front wing will be masked by the tyres, we can expect to see the wign create more load just inboard of the tyres and ease the wing off towards the middle drawign7 section, for better airflow over the central body.

Astro1 wrote:
n smikle wrote:I'd be surprised if I see a triple diffuser. The double diffuser pretty much takes up all the space.
Well here's one at Jerez last week. I think it has less to do with space and more with surface area?

sorry, been in use since silverstone and certainly not a triple deck. Williams run a similar concept.

Astro1
Astro1

newbie wrote:
Astro1 wrote:

sorry, been in use since silverstone and certainly not a triple deck. Williams run a similar concept.
Please elaborate how the above is "not" a triple deck diffuser? Also kindly provide proof of it in Silverstone. It's the first time I've seen the iteration.

sorry, it was valencia where this diffuser came in. ill try and find some proof for you over the weekend if i get time :)

Astro1
Astro1

newbie wrote:sorry, it was valencia where this diffuser came in. ill try and find some proof for you over the weekend if i get time :)

I'm not 100% on this, but the Valencia diffuser had squared-off edges, this one has rounded ones, a thinner raised area at the back, and an extra plane.

That diffuser and the only one that could be mistaken as similar is this oneImage

PlatinumZealot

This is a double deck with a air slot at the top. The air slot on top is to keep the air speed in the upper part of the diffuser from dropping. When I tested a smiliar setup in solidworks I could see that the air tends to separate and slow down at the top of the upper diffuser. The air in it tends to flow straight out (horizontally) instead of angling up and out so that is the "belly" part is cut out. It's just to keep the air speed up.

Notice the slot? ;look at the bottom edge of the Red lights, you can see right through it.

It is still two diffusers though. Remember a diffuser is a gradual tapered enlargement in cross sectional area from the entry plane to an exit plane. The uppermost piece can not be a diffuser because it has no lower border: if you look at the lower edge slot it is an abrupt opening into the flow of the second diffuser.

I don't think this diffuser is related to the other diffusers shown because of this slot. I could be wrong but I have never seen a diffuser like this used during the season. :-k
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

wesley123
wesley123

i think that slot in it is used for clearance for the suspension arms.

Also for next season i think a few teams will create a splitter that starts earlier, so the whole undercut area etc. is brought forward. The fuel tank will partly be located under the radiators, i thought fuel perfomrs better hwen heated so the radiators might be used for it, also making use of the fuel tank as a heat exchanger and possibly pre-heating the fuel.

has someone got the dimensions of the upper deck? i believe in regulations the have unlmited width, if so we might see a red bull end plate connection to the second deck. Also we might see a 3rd deck driven bij air exhausting the sidepod.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ISLAMATRON

Fuel is best when cold, especially in super hot engines sauch as in F1, they would never pre heat.

All the fuel(cell) must be contained within the main survival cell, and very little(2L) is allowed out side of the fuel cell... no fuel in the sidepods... EVER.

marcush.
marcush.

there is no limit how wide the tub may be in the fueltank area ,so why not have a bulge kickout doubling up as crash structure mount?
as I said before fuel load is best stored well below CG height.everything above will double hurt ,not only degrading power to weight ratio but also raise the CG .whereas fuel put very low into the car will lower cg height.

ISLAMATRON

Fuel is low density, less dense than water in the radiators, and it will burn off.

There is a maximum width of the car, and the sidepods must be big enough to provide the necessary amount of cooling. And there may very well be a maximum safety cell width, but I cant get to the regs right now.

scarbs
scarbs

marcush. wrote:there is no limit how wide the tub may be in the fueltank area ,so why not have a bulge kickout doubling up as crash structure mount?
as I said before fuel load is best stored well below CG height.everything above will double hurt ,not only degrading power to weight ratio but also raise the CG .whereas fuel put very low into the car will lower cg height.
IIRC fuel cannot be stored more than 400mm from the cars centre line

marcush.
marcush.

oh ... :shock: was not aware of this...

but still this is a 800mm wide fuel tank ,does any car have something like 800 mm+ monocoque dimensions at this time?

WhiteBlue

You also want to have the fuel tank as close as possible to the center of gravity to avoid shifting weight balance when the fuel burns off. This could mean that the drivers will be positioned slightly more forward.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

scarbs
scarbs

Here's the fuel tank regs below. I expect most teams already have some part of the their monocoque as wide as 800mm, it will just be that for next year a lot more of the tank will be that wide. Adrian Newey told me yesterday no team wil be able to get the required tank size without a longer fuel tank?

6.1.2 All the fuel stored on board the car must be situated between the front face of the engine and the driver's
back when viewed in lateral projection. When establishing the front face of the engine, no parts of the fuel,
oil, water or electrical systems will be considered.
Furthermore, no fuel can be stored more than 300mm forward of the highest point at which the driver's
back makes contact with his seat. However, a maximum of 2 litres of fuel may be kept outside the survival
cell, but only that which is necessary for the normal running of the engine.

6.1.3 Fuel must not be stored more than 400mm from the longitudinal axis of the car.