New Indycar for 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Giblet
Giblet

Re: New Indycar for 2012

They are only one of the few series that is actually pushing for GRE spec to be finalized sooner than later, because this redesign has a lot hinging on it.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Swift Engineering, holler.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

roost89
roost89

What do AOWR and GRE stand for?
And in what way does the redesign have alot hinging on the GRE?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

WhiteBlue

AOWR probably American open wheel racing = Indy car at top level since CART is dead
GRE Global Racing Engine (I recommend to read racecar engineering article on that issue)
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

roost89
roost89

WhiteBlue wrote:AOWR probably American open wheel racing = Indy car at top level since CART is dead
GRE Global Racing Engine (I recommend to read racecar engineering article on that issue)
Thanks. I'll head over there and give it a shifty.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

countersteer
countersteer

countersteer
countersteer

bill shoe
bill shoe

screaming and laughing at the same time.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

That's only one possibility for the 2012 Indy cars. Swift and Dallara have other proposals. I like Swifts, personally.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Carbon
Carbon

I'm checking my calendar, it's not April Fool's Day yet. What the heck is this????? For real. Wow.

Saribro
Saribro

This is what happens when a nerd overdoses on Batman.

countersteer
countersteer

This was the design headed by Ben Bowlby that was funded by the Indycar team owners themselves, namely Ganassi.

cut and paste from speedtv website, see link previous post.

Key Specifications of the 2012 Delta Wing (estimated):

•Weight with driver: 1,030 lbs.
•Horsepower: 300 BHP
•Wheel base: 125 inches
•Front track: 24 inches
•Rear track: 70 inches
•Aerodynamic drag: Cd 0.24
Key Technical features
•Engine and transmission are “non-stressed members” of the chassis structural design which allows teams to install a wide variety of lightweight powertrains
•The prototype will feature a 4 cylinder turbo charged engine that will produce approximately 300 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and weigh only 160lbs fully dressed
•Engine capacity, RPM and configuration freedoms are anticipated given only that the rate of fuel delivery to the engine will be controlled by a specially developed fuel flow rate control unit
•Vehicle weight distribution is necessarily more rearward than traditionally seen with 72.5% of the mass on the larger rear tires
•80% of the aerodynamic downforce acts on the rear of the car
•Inline traction under acceleration through the rear tires is greatly enhanced by rearward weight and aerodynamic distributions
•Unique amongst today’s racing cars 60% of braking force is generated behind the center of gravity giving a dynamically stable response
•Locking propensity of the inside front wheel on corner entry is greatly reduced
•Transmission features 6 speed oval and 5 speed plus reverse road track configurations with sequential paddle shift actuation
•Differential features full torque vectoring active technology with driver control of gain for balance adjustment. “Active stagger” removes the expensive necessity for staggered rear tire diameters for ovals
•Advanced computer modeling of structures, impact energy management, aerodynamics, vehicle dynamics and tires has been used to develop the virtual DeltaWing car
•The car’s performance has been simulated on each configuration of race track encountered during the IZOD IndyCar Series Championship
•Modern advanced materials and CNC construction techniques applied to achieve gains in light weight structures and occupant safety
•Driver position, restraint layout and energy absorbency facility designed with the latest data on survival criteria

geoclassic
geoclassic

The Delta Wing car looks like it should be heading to Bonneville.

Roger the knife

To further stun the experts, I heard that it uses rear-steer :roll:

Although one should always keep an open mind, I find this is pushing the limit, I don't think I'd be very interested in paying to watch these....

Giblet
Giblet

I thought that was a photoshopped joke.

*Shudder*

So it looks like a Doogie Howser like 12 year old got his degree early, and just went off.

The fact that ever made off the back of a napkin boggles my mind. I guess desperation has took hold now that Danica has moved on to other possibly greener pastures.

So this would work on a road coarse, how exactly?

Why not just make a 3 wheeler to save on tires?

If this is how American open wheel motor racing might be in the future, I want NO part whatsoever.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute