Sport prototype 3D model

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Belatti
Belatti

Sport prototype 3D model

If someone has the files for any 3D LeMans like prototype, could please contact me by PM to send it to me?

I then promise to make some CFD runs with a couple of weird theories I have got about sport protos..

Catia, Ansys, Solid edge, Solid works, I-deas, Autocad, anyone welcome.

Thanks.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

Re: Sport prototype 3D model

The car was something like this. Now it has got different undertray, rear wing and air intakes.

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

Belatti
Belatti

Well, first of all, to tomislavp4: thank you very much!!!

He helped me immensely with the model. In fact, all I did was the wheels, rear wing and diffusers (front and rear).

He did all the rest, only with some pics and measures I gave him:

Now my biggest problem is the computing capacity I have got where I can use the CFD software: 260hrs to solve that car in a "not so precise" mesh #-o

Simply I cant do it. The Uni PCs are for educational purposes, for solving easy tasks. I was being far too optimistic to even thinking that I could at least take some qualitative conclusions. :cry:

It doesnt matter, Ill see what I can do and where to achieve something else.

tomislavp4

I´m glad I could help. I hope you´ll be able to run the CFD tests on it as I´m very interested in taking a look at them :wink:

Belatti
Belatti

One thing Ill try before giving up with the computer I have got now is to model half the geometry as a symetrical one, and taking away some details like NACA ducts. However the mesh will be big and the partitions more than 1cm.

syndony
syndony

There are some MIT kids that made a 3D scanner, which I've been mulling over building, which uses a small projector and a webcam. It's pretty spiffy! But you can't do large vehicles with either method easily. Yeah, whenever I get my electronics hacking skills up to speed, I'll be making all sorts of stuff

tomislavp4

Do you have a 64bit computer or a 32bit one? If you are running 64bit there is a Linux OS that comes with meshers, solvers (OpenFOAM) and visualation software preinstalled. I have heard that the results are comparable with the Anys products, quite good for an open source software :wink: Off course it will take some time for you to get familiar with the programs and all that but you'll get far better results than using the solver in SolidEdge, even on low RAM. http://www.caelinux.com/CMS/ if you are interested.

Tonn
Tonn

Can you run it with 64bit Windows 7

tomislavp4

Tonn wrote:Can you run it with 64bit Windows 7
If you're asking if you can run CAELinux on Windows 7 then the answer is no because it is a Operative System, not a program. Windows 7 itself is an OS so you can't run OS on OS :wink: What you can do is install both, something that's called dual-boot system. When you do that you can choose which OS you want to run at system startup. If it's unclear what I mean, google: dual-boot linux and windows :wink:

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

You could run CAElinux using a virtual machine (virtualbox or vmware) within windows, however that would eat your performance big time... defeating the whole purpose....it could be handy if you want to check it out before doing a proper install tho.

tomislavp4

Mysticf1 wrote:You could run CAElinux using a virtual machine (virtualbox or vmware) within windows, however that would eat your performance big time... defeating the whole purpose....it could be handy if you want to check it out before doing a proper install tho.
Virtual machines don't work well with these type of programs... And if you want to try it out you can run it off the disk without installing, every linux is capable of running directly off cd :wink:

Belatti
Belatti

Lots of things I cant do, dont have the time, the hardware and the "systems" knowledge to try all that.

Been doing some "old school" tests in the diffusers, floor and interal aerodynamics using some thick gearbox oil. I found some interesting bits but still not the whole picture.

Belatti
Belatti

One of the main things I was trying to find out with this ir the differences between front floors.

I have seen many many tin top series using flat floors:

and many many sport cars / prototypes using front diffusers:

Does somebody knows the downforce / drag relationship between using each of them?

I want to find out if I should use one or the other in twisty tracks or in high speed tracks.

It is very important to point out that any of those 2 front floor philosophies can be coupled by the use of a front splitter with variable lenght.

flynfrog

is that modeled as a solid or a surface?

Belatti
Belatti

surface, right tomislav?