Why hasn't Laguna Seca been in F1 calendar?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
gibells
gibells

Re: Laguna Seca?

It always produces the most entertaining MotoGP races. Especially in 2008 when the Doctor gave the Whinger some medicine.

Giblet
Giblet

Oh yeah, part of the reason I posted my laguna lap was to show that to increase runoffs, would mean removing small mountains. Literally.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ringo

You guys should write to the president and get an F1 track built as a stimulus project. :lol:
No seriously, :lol: the money is there and it would be worth it, it creates jobs and brings in foreign money in the long run.
The problem is which state and which glamour spot. :wink:
For Sure!!

Pandamasque

ringo wrote:The problem is which state and which glamour spot. :wink:
California. Right under the Hollywood sign.

WhiteBlue

The other need Laguna does not fit is proximity to a metropolitan area and good air/rail/motorway services. By filling that criterion you almost guarantee a profitable venue. The US could make additional points by picking a venue that would be race fit in the European off season so it can be teamed back to back with a south American event. In fact the US could have two venues if it is done right. New York to team with Canada and San Diego or Florida to team with Brazil. If Cuba ever gets back to its 50ties status as US winter tourism center that would also be a good spot.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

woohoo
woohoo

Having not been at the track in real life; wouldn't the F1 cars bottom out on the corkscrew ?

not related but still Laguna Seca:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3y0tbdpcFc[/youtube]
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

Giblet
Giblet

Maybe, just watch the Toyota going around to see.

There are a many videos on Youtube of this event. The car was set up for the track and claimed the record (or did they?)

On August 20, 2006, Toyota F1 test driver Ricardo Zonta set an unofficial lap record of 1'06.039.[8] The previous record time was 1'07.722, set by Helio Castroneves in a Penske Champ Car during qualifying for the 2000 CART Honda Grand Prix of Monterey. The unofficial record was re-taken by a Champ Car on March 10, 2007 by Sébastien Bourdais, who lapped in 1'05.880 during Champ Car Spring Training.
Officially, Castroneves is still the recordholder as Zonta's and Bourdais' times were set during exhibition and testing sessions, and official records can only be set in race conditions (either in qualifying or during a race).
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Poleman

woohoo wrote:Having not been at the track in real life; wouldn't the F1 cars bottom out on the corkscrew ?

AWESOME video woohoo...Really enjoyed it! =D> =D> =D>

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

woohoo wrote:Having not been at the track in real life; wouldn't the F1 cars bottom out on the corkscrew ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3y0tbdpcFc[youtube]
Maybe they would have to run like 4x4's, just like Heidfeld did in the BMW Sauber at the Nurburgring.

+1 on the cool video. Gracias.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

godlameroso

Re: Why hasn't Laguna Seca been in F1 calendar?

Miller Motorsports Park is an awesome track, it's anti-clockwise, has a lot of high speed corners, wide with lots of run-off, top notch facilities, and is more than long enough to ensure over 1:30 second laps, I would rather see a race there than say...Abu-Dhabi
Saishū kōnā

Giblet
Giblet

I liked Abu-Dhabi. If we have one Mid East track, I want that one to stay. As crazy as it is, it is an F1 circus, and it has a lot for the fans. The track wasn't incredible, but it is changeable. They seem to really want that venue to work, nobody builds the largest indoor theme park in the entire world, unless they are semi-serious.

It would be good to convince a rich country that although it would be nice to have a race in another desert community, maybe pitching the money out here to American soil and building a bespoke venue here, near an airport, or even with it's own airport, using the runway as part of the course.

The fact that the tracks are near empty after a few years of OK attendance should be a clue. if you like F1, and want to back financially, the US might be a better long term market.

JUST GET SOMEONE ELSE OTHER THAN TILKE FOR THE SAKE OF PETE.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

At this point I don't even care if it's a GP or not, even just a simple demonstration by at least one team would be nice.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

godlameroso

Giblet wrote:I liked Abu-Dhabi. If we have one Mid East track, I want that one to stay. As crazy as it is, it is an F1 circus, and it has a lot for the fans. The track wasn't incredible, but it is changeable. They seem to really want that venue to work, nobody builds the largest indoor theme park in the entire world, unless they are semi-serious.

It would be good to convince a rich country that although it would be nice to have a race in another desert community, maybe pitching the money out here to American soil and building a bespoke venue here, near an airport, or even with it's own airport, using the runway as part of the course.

The fact that the tracks are near empty after a few years of OK attendance should be a clue. if you like F1, and want to back financially, the US might be a better long term market.

JUST GET SOMEONE ELSE OTHER THAN TILKE FOR THE SAKE OF PETE.
As far as tracks layout goes do you prefer Bahrain or Abu-Dhabi?
Saishū kōnā

WhiteBlue

Giblet wrote:JUST GET SOMEONE ELSE OTHER THAN TILKE FOR THE SAKE OF PETE.
Did it cross your mind that a track layout typically is much dictated by budget, available elevation changes, operator requirements, safety requirements, FOM requirements and that there is not much left for the designer's input? The latest non Tilke circuit is Singapore. Do you like that layout any better than lets say Istanbul?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pandamasque

Singapore is not a street circuit. It's bound to be crap. Perhaps you should compare Portimao.
WhiteBlue wrote:Did it cross your mind that a track layout typically is much dictated by budget, available elevation changes, operator requirements, safety requirements, FOM requirements and that there is not much left for the designer's input?
So why not let me design the track? That would be a lot cheaper.

You seem to like to play devil's advocate just to annoy people.