Chassis Yaw Polar Moment Of Inertia

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jakethesnake180
jakethesnake180

Chassis Yaw Polar Moment Of Inertia

Hi, Im fairly new to this forum, only a few posts so far but its very apparent that its a great resource for anyone in the industry or anyone who has an interest in the sport.
I wonder if someone can help with a question!

Im running a lap simulation project. Im wondering what kind of value to expect for chassis yaw polar moment of inertia in kg/m^2
for a chassis used in something like LMP1 shall we say.

Hope someone can help. :D

Jake

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Chassis Yaw Polar Moment Of Inertia

If you're working for a LMP1 client.. and need a fairly accurate estimate.. you might as well measure it or approximate it in CAD.

If you're just screwing around... you could start by approximating it as a homogeneous plate... maybe even using the unsprung component as point masses on the corners.

And let's not forget gyroscopic effect...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

autogyro
autogyro

This is not motivated by Paul (Lord) Draysons Sebring incident just now is it?

jakethesnake180
jakethesnake180

Hey, it is for a research project for a university and a component manufacturer and i am struggling to find information as i do not have access to a chassis, i could mock up a chassis in CAD but do not know specifics about the materials, i could research this but any more suggestions? the study is more of a feasability study so a ball park figure i can work from and then confirm using my cad drawings would be good.
Thanks for the help

Jake

jakethesnake180
jakethesnake180

Oh and by the way, this isnt motivated by Sebring

:D