Engine Cooling Questions

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Randy Mitchell
Randy Mitchell

Engine Cooling Questions

I have a 2000 Van Diemen converted to a Formula B that requires much more engine and oil cooling. My goal is to use the existing side pods with modified radiator and oil coolers. To optimize engine and oil cooling, how much of an angle to the incoming air will the radiator and oil cooler tolerate before you start losing efficiency? Does a deeper (thicker) radiator always result in more cooling and is there an optimum thickness? Will a double pass radiator/oil cooler always result in more cooling? What can I do aerodynamically to improve cooling within the side pod, ie cut slots in the pods (exhaust side) to help evacuate the air etc. Please, if anyone has a solid background in this arena, please contact me. Randy Mitchell, Salt Lake City, UT. randy.mitchell@greenfiber.com 801-541-6252 Thank you very much.

riff_raff
riff_raff

Re: Engine Cooling Questions

Randy,

Designing any heat exchanger installation is always an exercise in compromise. However, I can't imagine your Formula B engine needing a whole lot of oil cooler area.

There are some basic engineering principles to keep in mind when you design your heat exchanger and duct:

-Keeping the deltaT between the oil and airflows as high as possible will minimize the cooling air mass flow required, and thus will minimize drag losses.

-A thicker core will have a higher air pressure drop across the core, but will generally give better heat transfer due to the greater surface area exposed to the airflow.

-A single pass core in the oil flow direction will produce less pressure drop in the oil flow, but will also produce a smaller deltaT.

-Tilting the core too far relative to the airstream will cause the airflow to rapidly lose velocity when it has to change directions to pass through the fins. This will hurt your efficiency.

-Your cooling duct inlet should be located in an area of high dynamic pressure and the outlet should be located in an area with low dynamic pressure.

Take my advice for what it's worth. I don't have a "solid background" in this area.

Regards,
riff_raff
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"