Carbon Industries Contact

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
lkelm15
lkelm15

Carbon Industries Contact

I work as a member of a landspeed racing team currently in the development of a new vehicle which is being designed to break the current wheel-driven record. The brakes we use now would not hold up should we try to stop the car from speed. As F1 is the most technologically advanced motorsport, we have been looking to deal with the same companies they do in order to find a solution. Would anyone here be able to furnish the contact information for Carbon Industries?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Carbon Industries Contact

And you wouldn't use parachutes?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I was going to say the same thing Tom, but I figured it would be an obvious braking/safety component.

At least I certainly hope so in this specific case. :? It would be worrying if not.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

At some point brakes will be required even with parachutes. The thing about landspeed records is to reduce the time between runs to no more than 1 hour. If you can stop the car a few hundred metres shorter then you have more time for the ground crew to turn the vehicle around. The crew need to travel from their holding point to the stopping point of the vehicle. This takes precious minutes.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Yes, but carbon over steel?

When do these type of cars depend most on the disc brakes? Towards the end after the parachute has taken down most of the speed?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mx_tifosi wrote:Yes, but carbon over steel?

When do these type of cars depend most on the disc brakes? Towards the end after the parachute has taken down most of the speed?
True, but hitting the brakes at 250mph might be useful over hitting them at 150mph. Also, landspeed vhicles are quite heavy. 7 tonnes in the case of Bloodhound. That's also going to put extra energy through the brakes.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

lkelm15
lkelm15

We do use parachutes to slow from 300-400 mph down to around 150-200 mph but after that point they do very little. The primary reason for brakes is testing; we do most of it at less than 150 mph and first buying larger chutes then repacking them after each test run is alot of time unnecessarily wasted.