LMS-8 hours of Le Castellet (Paul Ricard HTTT)

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Pandamasque

Re: LMS-8 hours of Le Castellet (Paul Ricard HTTT)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Motorsport.com basically dedicated their image coverage of this event to Audi. :roll:

And there was practically no GT coverage. :wtf:

http://motorsport.com/photos/select.asp ... e_1&Y=2010
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Their pics are submitted by Photogs or PR officers. All the images they are putting up now are mostly supplied by Audi....hence the slant....

Spa will be more of a race I think.

I'll follow P2 with interest to see if the Acura can sweep LMS this year...

vyselegend

I'm back. :wink:

First, I have to say I am a bit disapointed by the race itself, which very soon turned to be quite dull. Obviously the Audi & Pug are still in another class, so having the Peugeot out of contention so early broke all excitement for the win in P1. Aston weren't a threat to the R15, so there was no race for the win, Allan and Dindo just had to cruise (although on a good pace) toward the finish.

That race made me put in question my views on classic endurance racing. In the last few years I've been critical of American's way of maintaining competion artificially through massive usage of neutralisations. But I realise it really managed to bring what it was supposed to bring, and almost every ALMS races I saw were exciting, and most were close in terms of finish.
While the European way of not letting race direction interferes with the show probably is more fair, it certainly contributes to make a race borring any time an opponent encounters problem, because without safety cars no one is going to come back from a ten laps deficit, even in eight hours, not even in 24!

Another point of deception lies in the organisation on the track: there were no giant screens, not even an old LED pannel for scoring, and worst of all, no Radio Le Mans! I guess they had an internet radio stream, but I couldn't reach any FM, AM or MW signals of any relevance to the race, so I was quite lost, and maybe there have been very hard fights in any of the classes, but I just couldn't tell how the race unfolded because I was left with no clue of who was in the same lap, etc...

Indeed, I only happened to learn about the cause of Oreca's fall back when I connected myself on the net a few hours ago...

Later in the day I found there were plasma screens with live timming, track map with updated positions, and TV stream, in the cafeteria. So it was a bit like following the race at home, but with hundreds of peoples around. Note that their live timing was like the F1 one, with sector times, so I could at least make some interesting observations.

The Audi seems to be faster than the Pug in straight line now, judging they were consistantly quicker in sector two (the long mistral straight). Also, the Acura had a terrifying pace in comparison to the other P2s. The poor Oak Pescarollo Judd was hopeless in the dying moments of the race, despite being one of the fastest P2 in Europe. With 1h30 remaning the pesca had a lead of 1 and half a lap, and it fell behind in no time, lapping in the 1'53 while the Acura was easily in the 1'48... So, Racingmaniac, I think you have your answear, Strakka will rock the place in P2 this year! :)

The last point of deception was... myself... Every times I've shut my camera down, something interesting happened! At one moment I was filming cars in heavy braking after the Signes curve, coming into Le Bausset, and the moment I did stop, one of the cars (can't even remember which class) lost it's braking and made a wonderfull 360° just in front of me before rejoining in a cloud of smoke.
That's life...

Anyway, there were also good points in being there, the cars were fantastic, sound was as great as always (even the diesels sound a bit better now, at least the 908 is making a real engine sound -yet not a "race engine" one- but it's not only turbo's sound, so it's better).

A good feat of the track is that the main parking lot is in front of the track airport, which was quite active, so anytime you've got some time to kill (like waiting between support races, etc) you can get in your car and enjoy the spectacle of stunt planes, military planes, helicopters taking off in front of you. OK, maybe not everybody would love that, but I did find it funny.

As promised, I've got lots of pics to share, but I think if I try to hotlink too much of them it won't work, so I'll just join a few and post a link to the gallery where I've put them.

:arrow: gallery

I'm planning to mount a youtube clip soon, but as I've missed both friday and monday, I've got lots of work to get back ATM. So it will be later in the week.

Pandamasque

Thanks for the photos. You did better job than the more usual sources like motorsport.com :)

dumrick
dumrick

Thanks for the photos, vyselegend! :wink:
vyselegend wrote:While the European way of not letting race direction interferes with the show probably is more fair, it certainly contributes to make a race borring any time an opponent encounters problem, because without safety cars no one is going to come back from a ten laps deficit, even in eight hours, not even in 24!
I believe you should have watched more closely the race in GT2. With the HPD in LMP2, it will take the P1 field we'll have at Spa to make any other class interesting, given that the Oreca Peugeot was so early out of contention in this one.
vyselegend wrote:The Audi seems to be faster than the Pug in straight line now, judging they were consistantly quicker in sector two (the long mistral straight).
Indeed! The R15+ reached 331Km/h (McNish), followed by AMR with 327Km/h (Fernandez) and the 908 with 325Km/h (Sarrazin). The Lola-Aston of Signature Plus reached 323 and all other cars were at 307Km/h minus.

The Audi seemed to have the upper hand, indeed. I haven't watched most of the race, so I have downloaded the timing data (here) and analysed it a bit.

Pace:

First thing: Audi worked hard to lose aero drag. They are already faster than they were at Le Mans 2009, even fastest overall, so that's major, even to predict how this year's 24 hours will go. In my view, the best tribute to Peugeot's performance in 2008 is that, usually so pragmatic Audi, produced a beast in the form of the R15, trying to match Peugeot's superior handling with a car that seemed tailored for ALMS, like Audi's engineers had forgotten that the one most important race in the year is in Europe and that its peculiar layout tends to reward high top speeds.

Finally, they seem to have managed to turn that beast into a very serious competitor, much like the R8 and R10 before him. Audi led in Paul Ricard with an impressive pace, always marginally faster than the Peugeot, even with Sarrazin behind the wheel. That's impressive and reminiscent of last year's Sebring Audi dominance, only this time in a circuit much more similar to La Sarthe.

Fuel economy:

Given the impressive economy of 2010's Peugeot at this year Sebring, I jumped at Pandamasque's posted results and particularly at the "NB BOX STOP" column. There, the Audi had stopped 10 times, the same amount as the first petrol engines. I knew that Dindo had stopped in the end of the race for tyres, something I believe none of the the other top P1's had done. Comprehensibly - Audi had such a huge advance that they had nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain, given the risk that the track was starting to be, that could originate an off... the others were just playing chicken, not wanting to lose time in the pits. 2nd and 3rd were close and the Peugeot was trying to gain a position (with an help from the team that was slowing the Oreca 01)...

So, that's anyway one more stop for the Audi over the Peugeot, in an 8-hour race. I looked at the stint duration over the race. Both Diesels manage a 52 minutes first stint. But, over the race the Peugeot started making constistently longer stints - from 58 minutes to one hour to the Peugeot, versus 54 to, more consistently, 56 minutes of the Audi. Since I don't believe the Peugeot was running in economy mode, trying to make up places and if the Audi wasn't being conservative (if they were it only makes the consumption comparison worst for them, naturally...), we are talking to a potential difference from 1 to 3 laps stints at La Sarthe. Of course, the 8 stops for the Peugeot in 8 hours at Paul Ricard were only possible because of the time lost from their problem. But, if it were the official Peugeot drivers at the wheel? They surely should know the car and fuel efficiency strategies better than the two novices au Castellet. So, it's possible to imagine that the Peugeot could do 8 stops in a 8 hour race. That's one stop less in 8 hours than the Audi. In a third of 24 hours.

Conclusion:

This to say that I have hope that we'll see a close battle in June, even if the R15+'s prove to be ultimately faster than the 908's. And La Sarthe is a very special lady, very unlike any other circuit, so to extrapolate directly is very tricky. La Dame only reveals its secrets in June... 8)

boesel
boesel

Hi all,
here you can find an article and 153 photos about the event:
http://www.connectingrod.it/LeMansSerie ... t_eng.html

Pandamasque

:-s