21st Century Lotus-7 Style concept

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
machin

21st Century Lotus-7 Style concept

Another CAD model... well it keeps me off the streets!

And a modified version showing the sort of "personalisation" that would be possible:-

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

greenpower dude reloaded

Re: 21st Century Lotus-7 Style concept

reminds me a bit of this Image but I prefer yours

Ted68

Are you taking orders yet? :D

Nice work!
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

autogyro
autogyro

Nice one Machin another example of some good thinking.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Nice but should be open topped if it's going to be a C21 version of the 7.

Also, staggered seating is unnecessary and rather suboptimal.

You don't need to make such a compromise:
http://www.sylva.co.uk/j15.html
also
http://www.sylva.co.uk/riotR1.html
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

machin

greenpower dude reloaded wrote:reminds me a bit of this [westfield electric racer] but I prefer yours
Thanks.. must admit I like that Westfield too, I'm hoping to see it at a demonstration event this year... did you know the "body" is Lycra stretched over the frame? Brilliant lightweight idea.

The one problem I have with it is that it is based on the standard SEi chassis -i.e. with the engine bay upfront -I know why they've done it (it saves development costs), but I believe that the 21st century "7" should have an engine bay behind the driver -not only for the traction benefits, but also because there are millions of FWD engines that are just begging to be dropped into a kitcar without requiring any modifications.... I have a bit of personal history here in that I compete with a Westfield SE and I blew the engine in it a while back, I looked at putting something modern in, but even sticking in a Zetec (which has the same bellhousing bolting pattern as the crossflow engine I had) isn't a simple job as the engine is designed for a transverse orientation, not a longitudinal one.... if an engine complete with gearbox from a FWD car could just be dropped in (I'm simplying here slightly!) that would be amazing....
Just_a_fan wrote: Nice but should be open topped if it's going to be a C21 version of the 7.
I quite like that Sylva J15, although not so sure on the styling....

Removing the roof/screen would be a simple task, and would be one of the things I'd leave open to the "personalisation" that I mentioned... although personally I like the look of the bubble canopy.

Would be interested to know what compromises you allude to with the staggered seating? The wheelbase I've used here is the same as on my own Westfield (proven in competition by hundreds of cars to be more than satisfactory), so could never be considered long, although looking at that Slyva chassis I guess it must be slightly longer as there's hardly any spare space there.... So the advantages are: better aerodynamics (slimmer bubble canopy to encompass the heads of both the driver and passenger), lighter weight, better driver visibility, and with the optional side-pods used as crash structure, also better side-impact protection....

Thanks for all the nice comments... Would be more than happy to personalise the model if anyone has any suggestions...(although won't be able to do tham all if there are a lot of requests!)

autogyro
autogyro

I think you are on the right lines Machin.
I was once offered a race with a Caterham 7 but the scrutineer stopped me because my head was above the roll hoop. This is the only problem I see in that and the Westfield, are they big enough for larger people?
Westfield also showed an interesting twin motor electric model in January at the RCS, it had the batteries spread out underneath. I thought a regulation nightmare.
Years ago 'sic', I built a transverse semi automatic unit to fit in the back of a Status. This was a front engined kit car designed for the mini unit on subframes.
We simply redesigned to take a front frame in the back. I did away with the torque converter and replaced it with a clutch and fitted an electric shift on a lever, worked great 1976 I think. I also built another similar unit for a rally special kit car for fitting in the front, that also worked well. Both four or five speed semi automatics fifteen years before F1 got the idea.
I think transverse rear is a good choice as it helps use the torque reaction for traction better than inline with transaxle. My Junior dragster with a BDA on top of an Automotive Products bevel epicyclic Mini auto box proved this. Of course today there are lots of manual and auto units for Front instalation that are well designed and easy to fit in the rear, so I think the route is ideal.
There were a few transverse fuel dragsters in the early 70s that got good times but without much in the way of a gearbox I think. I would love to fit a big V12 transverse rear that would be interesting.

machin

autogyro wrote: This is the only problem I see in that and the Westfield, are they big enough for larger people?
I agree they're not the biggest cars around! In mine I use an untrimmed fibreglass seat, so you basically sit on the floor pan. I have also fitted a small diameter steering wheel on a spacer which brings it closer to you, this means it doesn't clash with my knees, and whilst the only competition that I do are short sprints (so comfort isn't high on the list) I've driven it on occaision 150 miles on the road to events and I don't find it that bad, despite the untrimmed seat! I'm 187cm tall so relatively tall people can fit in. Using the untrimmed seat also helped out with the problem you mentioned -I'm sure with the original seats my helmet would be "a bit close" to the top of the rollbar....

In my younger days running slot-cars we also used to use transverse motor layouts for exactly the reason you give regarding torque reaction.... a bit of different scale though!