New Indycar for 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: New Indycar for 2012

"When are we going to see some non-pneumatic tires developed for racing?," Barnard added. "They do exist and I'm sure they could be made to work on a racing car which does not have the ride requirements of a road car. That really would look different and would be development directly applicable to road cars."
Lost all credibility & stopped reading right here.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

donskar
donskar

Jersey Tom wrote:
"When are we going to see some non-pneumatic tires developed for racing?," Barnard added. "They do exist and I'm sure they could be made to work on a racing car which does not have the ride requirements of a road car. That really would look different and would be development directly applicable to road cars."
Lost all credibility & stopped reading right here.
Why? Do they NOT exist? Please fill us in.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

There's a reason why stuff like the Michelin 'Tweel' has gone nowhere in the 6 years or however long it's been public.

1. Racecars do have some significant ride (attitude control) requirements. Reference all the 7-post testing that's done in any major series.

2. Not sure it could take the heat and load of any high speed circuit.

3. There's no need for it.

Had the opportunity to speak with a former Michelin engineer who now does consulting work. I wish I could remember his exact phrase... but essentially said the Tweel was garbage and that the pneumatic tire was going to be around for a long time.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tim.Wright

my favourite part of the tweel?

When your tread runs out, you get to buy a completely new wheel :lol:

/sarcasm

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

machin

I've been thinking about that front locking/rear locking instability thing as I'm totally in agreement with the theory that locking the rears is a very bad thing stability wise... locking the fronts is a much more stable situation (i.e. locked fronts result in understeer).

however I don't think the Delta-wing guys would dispute that...

I now believe that what the Delta-Wing guys are talking about is the chance of locking a rear wheel, and not that locking a rear wheel is better than locking a front wheel. Its inherent that its harder to lock a wheel if the vertical load on it is higher, right? So having a rearward weight bias means that you have to have the brake bias much further rearward to lock those wheels... Having said that in a race car you always want to have the bias match the vertical load balance front:rear to obtain the best braking performance so you're still operating on a knife edge.. a little too much rear will still lock the rears first, as will a little too much forward bias lock the fronts first. So I still think its a crap statement; it only applies if you had a fixed 50:50 brake bias (in which case the higher rear weight of the delta-wing would mean the fronts would always tend to lock first), but no car is going to have a fixed 50:50 brake bias so its pretty irrelevent. Just hope that nobody believes it!

As mentioned by another forum member above.. the other downside of more weight at the rear and the narrow front track is that when cornering the outside rear wheel is going to be the one trying to resist the roll moment so it'll absorb all the load transfer and likely lose traction first.. result; mid-corner oversteer..... there's a good reason that Lotus have been banging on about 50:50 weight distribution for good cornernig since year dot......
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Dallara wins tender.....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85269

Car will be build in Indianapolis, the rule will allow open aero constructors to make aero kits for the Dallara chassis, 2 designs/redesign per season(each "design will have road course and oval configuration), and cost capped to some amount. All kits will be available to all competitors.

wesley123
wesley123

that car is at least not that bad looking, and by thos kits we at least see difference between cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Weak. Was really pullin for Swift.

wesley123
wesley123

not really unexpected, todays indycars run dallara's so why not pick the same manufacturer?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

tomislavp4

Jersey Tom wrote:Weak. Was really pullin for Swift.
Yeah, I was also hoping for them but this will do, anything but the deltawing will do actually 8)

ecapox

Dallara only builds the IndyCar cell, the aero and body is technically "free" for anyone to do anything with. This may bring MANY different cars to the races. im optimistic.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

According to the article the tipping point in Dallara's favor was they are building a facility in Indy for making the car. None of the others are doing that.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

That seems silly. If the cars are built in Indiana or San Clemente, CA.. what's the difference?

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I am guessing tax break and local business incentive plus job creation....I guess down in the Indy area there are a lot of business for the industry....

Nothing is really separated from politics anymore....

Anything that brings new job to mid-west can't be all bad right?

Scania
Scania

give me Deltawing.....