Shoya Tomizawa killed in Moto2 at Misano

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
raceman

Moto2 rider Shoya Tomizawa was killed today in a race at Misano when he lost control and was hit by two other riders sustaining fatal injuries.

Thoughts go out for his family.....

what more to say, standing ovation to the first-ever Moto2 race winner - rest in peace Shoya!

WhiteBlue

Re: Shoya Tomizawa killed in Moto2 at Misano

It looks like the astro turf behind the kerbs caused the first rider to crash down. One has to ask if this is appropriate for motorcycles at all.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

RIP Tomizawa.

It looks like MotoGP (all variants included) has had a pretty rough and dangerous year.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

fausto cedros

Faster he'll run along the tracks of the sky.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

FW17

I thought Motogp played it safe for the drivers with indy turn 13/1 avoided, silverstone bridge section avoided.

Now we see Misano circuit with turn 11, 12 and 13 which the FIA might not have allowed for F1 wonder how FIM let it by.

Misano if in the calender next year will have turn 11 to a chicane as in tamburello

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Condolences tomizawa-san. Died doing what he loved. =D>
More could have been done.
David Purley

timbo
timbo

RIP..

WhiteBlue

I'm sorry for Tomizawa and I hope that MotoGP and Moto2 will develop better track and equipment safety to prevent further loss of life by riders.

In the particular case it appears that Tomizawa received both spinal and heart traumata from being run over by the following bikes. You are unlikely to live through such kind of massive traumata unless you get into intensive surgery with heart/lungth support within minutes. To avoid such internal traumata you probably have to carry massive armor made from CFC. Perhaps they will look into such options.

Motor sport is dangerous and bikes more than cars.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

toshinden
toshinden

just a week ago Peter Lenz also lost his life at Indianapolis. God, he's only 13 years old. And now another talent also have to go. He's one of my fav rider out there, 19 years old, funny and smart guy. Rest in peace mate [-o<

also in memoriam Daijiro Kato and Norifumi Abe.
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

raceman

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Tomizawa falling was just one of those things that could have happened to any rider. Alex de Angelis and Scott Redding hitting him was unavoidable as they were so close there was no time for them to react.

I was surprised that the race was not stopped so that Tomizawa did not have to be moved so quickly. Then the stretcher was dropped (I'll admit that when I saw it being dropped I didn't realise which rider it was and had a chuckle in a 3 Stooges kind of way) probably becasue that trackside marshalls were being hurried by the race not being stopped. Questions need to be asked about how this was handled and lessons learned for the future.

A very tragic event indeed, especially seeing as he was only 19 years old. The top 3 finishers in the MotoGP race were all visiblly shocked.

Rossi on the accident:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86423