Heikki's Crash at the ROC

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
countersteer
countersteer

Heikki's Crash at the ROC

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... concussion

Was Heikki wearing a helmet during this competition?

I watched the video. Yea, it was a hard hit, but these guys walk away from far worse. I realize that the F1 safety cell is superior in every way to the Audi road car but...

nacho
nacho

Re: Heikki's Crash at the ROC

My guess is that he knocked his head to the roll cage. There's not much giving in on the car or the barrier when hitting the concrete. A lighter barrier which would move a bit or give in would be better.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Rear ender did him in.
One of the worst accidents as you cant see when the impact is going to occur.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRLCBI68xI8[/youtube]
More could have been done.
David Purley

Belatti
Belatti

Why was Heikkis GF inside the car, too?

Who was with Loeb, then?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

JohnsonsEvilTwin

His mom?
Or a mannequin? :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

mep

Belatti wrote:Why was Heikkis GF inside the car, too?

Who was with Loeb, then?
Daniel Elena. :lol:

I wonder if the R8 gives a wrong feeling of safety.
I expect such a car to have a similar safety of a "real" race car but it seems that this is wrong.
I don't know what's the reason for the crash but it looks like he had one or two slightly touches of the walls and then the car just went out of control like something got broken. In my opinion nothing should break on such a car by just a slightly touch of a barrier.

747heavy

He did wear a helmet, but by the look of it, - but no "HANS", so that may contribute to his concussion.
The "hitting the roll cage/B-Pillar" comment from nacho is also very creditable-IMHO.

it looks like, to me, that the lower wishbone/outer joint broke on the RHS, this causing the oversteer/crash.
As the R8 chassis is basicly a Lamborghini Gallardo this is an cast aluminium part, but strong/good enough to be raced in GT3 (even on the Nürburgring Nordschaleife) for example.

Hitting the wall a couple of times before, may does not help.
Last edited by 747heavy on 01 Dec 2010, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

spinmastermic

The throttle got stuck and the rear right suspension broke after hitting the wall, thats why the car veered left. The car stopping dead after hitting the wall is what smushed his brain.

Tim.Wright

747heavy wrote:He did wear a helmet, but by the look of it, - but no "HANS", so that may contribute to his concussion.
I don't think the HANS comes into action at all in a rearward impact. Only the headrest would act in this case.

tim
Not the engineer at Force India

chapmanlung
chapmanlung

well if his brain got smacked,,,,,then what about his girlfriend?

Tim.Wright

She suffered a hairline fracture of her pelvis and some muscle damage (formula1.com).

Her head would have been flung in the direction away from the roll structure/wall etc so the risk of a head injury for her would have been less.

tim

747heavy

Tim.Wright wrote:
747heavy wrote:He did wear a helmet, but by the look of it, - but no "HANS", so that may contribute to his concussion.
I don't think the HANS comes into action at all in a rearward impact. Only the headrest would act in this case.

tim
You have a point - agree with you,
but HANS would reduce the possible head movement to the side as well, a bit --> maybe keeping the head away from the oll cage/B-Pillar
Last edited by 747heavy on 01 Dec 2010, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

spinmastermic wrote:The throttle got stuck and the rear right suspension broke after hitting the wall, thats why the car veered left. The car stopping dead after hitting the wall is what smushed his brain.
That would take 2 unconnected failures, suspension and throttle control, to happen instantaneously. I would agree with the comment that his right hand side rear suspension broke when he tapped the wall going down the straight as his final impact was at the rear to left quarter panel side of the car. What I do not understand was his speed entering the final corner, Loeb was ahead at the finish line and was still able to stop prior to the incident, it looked like the Finn was still accelerating, unless he thought he was a rally driver :lol: it did not look like he would make the corner with or without the rear end issue.

mep

So you stripe the barrier little bit causing the suspension to fail (ok possible) and the throttle to stuck (should definitely never happen).
Then the drivers head can hit the rollcage and the co breaks her Pelvis.
How could that even happen? What did she hit?

All this doesn't sound really safe for me. Not to forget that a customer will never wear a helmet when driving this car. What kind of injuries he could have suffered without the helmet?
747heavy wrote:it looks like, to me, that the lower wishbone/outer joint broke on the RHS, this causing the oversteer/crash.
As the R8 chassis is basicly a Lamborghini Gallardo this is an cast aluminium part, but strong/good enough to be raced in GT3 (even on the Nürburgring Nordschaleife) for example.
Maybe this part should be build of steel. Would be interesting to see pictures of the failed part or the design.

Tim.Wright

One one of the videos you can see the right rear toeing out about 10deg as he goes into the corner. My guess is it was a toe link or something on the hub. If it was a control arm the wheel would simply flopped out onto the deck.

Tim