Requirements specification for uprights to chose material

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Dean4.0
Dean4.0

Requirements specification for uprights to chose material

At our school we did a subject methodic Materials Selection in Mechanical Design.
A friend and i chose as a practical project to chose a Material for a Upright to use in motorsports. For that, we first what to define the requirements specification.
We did a first brainstorming, what do you think is important and missing?

-minimal weight but high stiffness  high E modulus  minimal density
- because of high brake temperature  high maximum service temperature (What is high enough ?)
-high bend and drag stress  high Yield strength
-Fatigue strength at 107 cycles  high (What is high enough?) ;
because of long race distance and expensive fabrication of the uprights. Is that relevant? I Think yes for Amateur racing and so on but I think not absolute for formula 1 because they have so much money that they can build a new one after a few races, or is that incorrect assumption, I don´t now?

I know the price of the raw material and the fabrication is also a point we have to chose. But first we want to find the most important mechanical and design requirements and so on.
I think we have also to decide for what class of Motorsport we search a Material because of the price limiting and fabrication price. In formula 1 there is no problem but at Amateur racing and perhaps Touring cars GT1/GT3 and other secondary growth formula series and so on.
Does any one has any info because of Price limiting for the secondary growth formula series GP2, Formula BMW, Formula 3, and others like FIA GT1,GT3 etc.

Thank you!

Belatti
Belatti

Re: Requirements specification for uprights to chose materia

I suggest you to start doing a free body diagram of the part you are going to design.

Choose a car known ebough to estimate mass (from 1000 to 1300Kg in a touring car, 600Kg in a formula car), centre of gravity height (from 0.2 to 0.5 metres according to the car) and maximum acceleration (longitudinal and lateral) (1.7 Gs for touring, 2.5 Gs for F3 furmulas)

With those you can estimate the force the upright will have to bear. Add your security factors according to your estimates.

Then you will be able to do cross section / material comparison. This will lead you to calculate weight of the upright and considerate other things such as aero (if you calculate for an open wheeler)

To have some ballpark numbers, a 680Kg steel chasis sportproto with 150HP capable of developing 1.75 Gs with a CoGh of 0.3m has circular section Øe22mm Øi18mm uprights (simple cheap SAE 1010).

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Belatti on 06 Dec 2010, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

Dean4.0 wrote: -minimal weight but high stiffness  high E modulus  minimal density
- because of high brake temperature  high maximum service temperature (What is high enough ?)
-high bend and drag stress  high Yield strength
-Fatigue strength at 107 cycles  high (What is high enough?) ;
because of long race distance and expensive fabrication of the uprights. Is that relevant? I Think yes for Amateur racing and so on but I think not absolute for formula 1 because they have so much money that they can build a new one after a few races, or is that incorrect assumption, I don´t now?
Usually temp from the brakes and exhaust is not a problem for uprights in lower formulas or tin tops. The exception may be in highly develped cars (F1, Lemans) where for aero reasons the exhaust gases can get close.

Fatigue strength its fine for Steel.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Dean4.0 wrote:-minimal weight but high stiffness  high E modulus  minimal density
IIRC you'll find that the ratio of elastic modulus to density is pretty constant among the typical engineering metals... steel, aluminum, titanium, probably magnesium as well.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

marcush.
marcush.

when chossing a material you will also need to decide on how to manufacture the component.
Would you machine it ?CNC is nowadays very convenient and with CAD you are not that far away from creating machinepaths ...
definitely a potential route for small series production .
But you could also go for a fabrication that would involve less sophisticated machining ,but the need to build jigs and lots of labor for a qualified Fabricator weldor...
Or you go for a casting ..also a possible route ...with todays RP methods investment casting as an RP method ..could be very interesting
Or you would go into mass production and do a forging....naaa ..just kidding.
but i think i have seen a Carbonfibre upright recently as well ...

At the end it`s horses for courses and you will tend to do things you know suppliers for or can produce yourself ..

747heavy

marcush. wrote: but i think i have seen a Carbonfibre upright recently as well ...

info
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

marcush.
marcush.

I would rather not comment the girls work ..

I had in mind this one on scarbs blog:

747heavy

not sure I would call this band aid an "carbon upright", it probably contains more Ti then Carbon
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Belatti
Belatti

747heavy wrote:not sure I would call this band aid an "carbon upright", it probably contains more Ti then Carbon
This?

Arunas
Arunas

Belatti wrote:
747heavy wrote:not sure I would call this band aid an "carbon upright", it probably contains more Ti then Carbon
This?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dean4.0
Dean4.0

Thank you for your answers. I think i will work with this infos.