Caster axis and hub.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Caito
Caito

Caster axis and hub.

Hello guys! I have a doubt, hopefully you will be able to help me :D

I know what caster does. Stabilizing the wheel, generating camber when turning, loading diagonals etc.

My doubt is, what's the effect of positioning the caster axis in a way that it doesn't cross the hub center(EDIT: I mean in lateral view. Caster axis passing before, or after the hub center). I think it will generate torques and more variation in wheel height when turning(similar to what scrub+caster does)

I'd think that centred may be the best(as it's what I've always seen)

Maybe in front vs in the back I'd guess in front is better. As the wheel would be in it's lowest position(more stable).

But I really don't know what it would do to steering feeling and if the forces on the hub would be greater or whatsoever, I don't know how to calculate that.

Bye bye!

Caito.-
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Caster axis and hub.

Changes mechanical trail.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Caster axis and hub.

we are always talking just of caster changes but in realworld conditions caster trail will be affected as well with every caster change(you are changing the inclination of the caster axis centered around the wishbone connection and not the foot rint on the tyre usually..

so moving the top wishbone back to increase caster should change trail towards an increase as well.