Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bjpower
bjpower

Re: Renault R31

H. Zedozil wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:An interesting theory: http://hopkinsonf1.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... -diffuser/
WOW!! :o
where exactly on the car will the exausts blow? any idea where this front mounted defuser is?

Arunas
Arunas

H. Zedozil wrote:See the comparisons between all the cars that are already launched:

Not the same scale/angle here, but R31 still seems to have shorter wheelbase and espetialy nose, FW is near wheel.

reikorp
reikorp

Find Wally and the exhaust he took away :o

i hope we wont wait long to solve that one ;) i mean i dont want to se Petrov's car beeing craned & covered with extinguisher powder just to see details :mrgreen:

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Cut the BS. The exhuasts are obviously housed in the rear, they just don't protrude. Think about Renault's EBD from last year, they had a sculpted outlet on the exhausts, this is just a development of that. It's been moved back under the suspension and integrated in to the bodywork.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Front facing exhausts that blow a frontally mounted diffuser?

Is this dude on Crack? Or maybe its and early April fools???

If he is right, kudos to him going out and spilling his guts, somehow I think its tripe.
More could have been done.
David Purley

forty-two

I think the exhausts lie underneath the access panels in the back of the bodywork.

All this business about a front exiting exhaust has the smell of BS, and an attempt to gain additional publicity they don't deserve.
Last edited by forty-two on 31 Jan 2011, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

matt21 wrote:You mean this?
If the exhausts were routed to the front bib, would that not explain why this area seems to be using material that looks a lot more heavy duty?

B

luca
luca

Based on his tweet, he must have heard something from someone close to the team: http://twitter.com/hopkinsonf1/status/32063242624835584
A little bird tells me the R31 has its exhausts routed to the front of the car, blowing a front-mounted diffuser. Blog post to follow. #f1
Maybe this theory is not so crazy after all...it would also be in line with the sort of "innovation" they were talking about.
Last edited by luca on 31 Jan 2011, 16:00, edited 2 times in total.

adrianjordan

forty-two wrote:I think the exhausts lie underneath the access panels in the back of the bodywork.
That would make sense. Also the access panel is perhaps able to be interchanged to allow the exhausts to exit in that location if the initial concept doesn't work as planned.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mith

OK, I'm taking back my words of it not being innovative. I'm not convinced about the front exhaust, but at the other hand I can't find it so something tricky is going out there. Wonder what... But I can see some shielding bits around rear wheels. Weren't they placed there when EBD was incorporated to R30. Or is it there only to improve air blowing over the wheels?

The actuator is bit strange. Are the endplates of RW housing part of the mechanism? There is removable panel on it.

Someone mentioned that FW has new endplates. To me it looks like a final version on last year's, but I might be wrong as I didn't have enough time to compare them.

Blackout

mith wrote:OK, I'm taking back my words of it not being innovative. I'm not convinced about the front exhaust, but at the other hand I can't find it so something tricky is going out there. Wonder what... But I can see some shielding bits around rear wheels. Weren't they placed there when EBD was incorporated to R30. Or is it there only to improve air blowing over the wheels?

The actuator is bit strange. Are the endplates of RW housing part of the mechanism? There is removable panel on it.

Someone mentioned that FW has new endplates. To me it looks like a final version on last year's, but I might be wrong as I didn't have enough time to compare them.
No these enplates are new. They are a little bit different especially in their bottom part.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

So, they have added a similar crash-structure overhang over the side pod inlets as Ferrari. But the side pod inlets are very big compared to the other cars, could it be that they need extra cooling for this supposedly new and fancy exhaust?

secretf1
secretf1

I can confirm that the concept of the exhausts on the R31 is to exit via the side of the side pods, towards the front, essentially to blow hot air at the front of the floor area.

I will not disclose the source however you can probably guess roughly...

H.Lyoud
H.Lyoud

So we have R31 aka Where is the Silly Milly :lol:

paipa
paipa

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Front facing exhausts that blow a frontally mounted diffuser?

Is this dude on Crack? Or maybe its and early April fools???

If he is right, kudos to him going out and spilling his guts, somehow I think its tripe.
Could anyone come up with a ballpark figure for the amount of momentum that would be lost by routing the exhaust flow towards the front?