Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: Renault R31

secretf1 wrote:I can confirm that the concept of the exhausts on the R31 is to exit via the side of the side pods, towards the front, essentially to blow hot air at the front of the floor area.

I will not disclose the source however you can probably guess roughly...
Surely this is pretty risky in terms of overheating as that would take the exhausts right past where the radiators are.

Giblet
Giblet

Maybe it won't be lost at all, maybe there is a net gain blowing it there.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

luca
luca

Here's another picture of the rear suspension:

Blackout

Une première photo studio:
La boite a air est effectivement très fine. Les endplates avant sont nouvelles. La partie avant des pontons a des petits renforts a la Ferrari. Et visiblement on a fait des efforts sur les structures anti crash se trouvant a l’intérieur des turning vanes; ces dernières sont fines contrairement aux précédentes Renault.
Very tight airbox
Tight turning vanes (sth new for a Renault)
Sidepod additionnal crash structures a l Ferrari
New front endplates

secretf1
secretf1

bonjon1979 wrote:
secretf1 wrote:I can confirm that the concept of the exhausts on the R31 is to exit via the side of the side pods, towards the front, essentially to blow hot air at the front of the floor area.

Surely this is pretty risky in terms of overheating as that would take the exhausts right past where the radiators are.
As an engineer I can most certainly agree with that.

They have had a lot of issues with packaging the car as you can imagine so there must have been inherent problems with the concept. Hopefully the car performs as my source expects, i.e. very well!

lotus7
lotus7

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Front facing exhausts that blow a frontally mounted diffuser?

Is this dude on Crack? Or maybe its and early April fools???
JET , you'll probably remember the saying we used here - "it's like f**rting into the wind "

myurr
myurr

Isn't that also going to toast the drivers somewhat? Presuming the exhausts are venting at the front of the sidepods (presumably trying to energise the entire flow over the top of the floor). Maybe they're having to actively cool the cockpit as well?

Edit: If it works though then it would certainly be hard for the other teams to copy!

Crafty
Crafty

Ok, so if they have got a front EBD is that a grey area as far as the rules go ?likelyhood of it being outlawed like McLarens 3rd pedal/mass dampers etc ?

secretf1
secretf1

myurr wrote:Isn't that also going to toast the drivers somewhat? Presuming the exhausts are venting at the front of the sidepods (presumably trying to energise the entire flow over the top of the floor). Maybe they're having to actively cool the cockpit as well?

Edit: If it works though then it would certainly be hard for the other teams to copy!
I haven't seen the solution so cannot comment on it's implementation, but if you look at a plan floor view of the tub/engine/radiator layout, there is plenty of material for insulation purposes. If they are actively cooling the cockpit I do not have information on this.

I would have thought it would be very very difficult to copy in a decent time frame for any gains.

Blackout

Very tight airbox ideed
Tight turning vanes (sth new for a Renault)
Sidepod additionnal crash structures a la Ferrari
New front endplates

http://f1.f-e-n.net/images/f1/2011/2011 ... 5D0259.jpg
Tthe steering arms seem to be located on the lower wishbone, judging the thickness of the latter... Good for CoG. :mrgreen:

secretf1
secretf1

Crafty wrote:Ok, so if they have got a front EBD is that a grey area as far as the rules go ?likelyhood of it being outlawed like McLarens 3rd pedal/mass dampers etc ?
A quick look shows this for exhaust systems:

5.6 Exhaust systems :

Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits.

5.7 Variable geometry systems :
5.7.1 Variable geometry inlet systems are not permitted.
5.7.2Variable geometry exhaust systems are not permitted.
5.7.3Variable valve timing and variable valve lift systems are not permitted.

It might however by slightly grey around bodywork opening areas defined in the rules.

EDIT: I need to read into the bodywork rules to find out if is black/white or very grey.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Source or BS.

secretf1
secretf1

Diesel wrote:

Source or BS.
I could give his/her full christian name however he/she wouldn't want that I am sure, lets just say he/she works for Lotus Renault GP Ltd.

Is that good enough? Or shall I PM his/her name to you?

Callum

secretf1 wrote:
Diesel wrote:

Source or BS.
I could give his/her full christian name however he/she wouldn't want that I am sure, lets just say he/she works for Lotus Renault GP Ltd.

Is that good enough? Or shall I PM his/her name to you?
Don't do it, Secretf1, we've had people lose their jobs before on this forum.

secretf1
secretf1

Callum wrote: Don't do it, Secretf1, we've had people lose their jobs before on this forum.
Sorry should have put to take the last bit with a pinch of salt. I would never do that to him/her.