Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
H. Zedozil

Re: Renault R31

mclaren777 wrote:
H. Zedozil wrote:See the comparisons between all the cars that are already launched:

Edit: It looks like there is some problem with pic...
Any chance you could rehost it somewhere else?
Sorry mate..I couldn't find...it was a good comparison though :|

volarchico
volarchico

So not only the heat issue, but wouldn't an exhaust pipe long enough to route all the way to the front of the floor have a huge weight penalty? And then add what others have mentioned about backpressure from exhausting INTO the wind direction. You think they might be spreading this rumor on purpose to throw everyone off the REAL innovation they've come up with?

bosanac1
bosanac1

volarchico wrote:So not only the heat issue, but wouldn't an exhaust pipe long enough to route all the way to the front of the floor have a huge weight penalty? And then add what others have mentioned about backpressure from exhausting INTO the wind direction. You think they might be spreading this rumor on purpose to throw everyone off the REAL innovation they've come up with?

+1

agree

this has the same smell as mclaren fduct, red bull exhaust stickers

Giblet
Giblet

If the exhaust was to exit towards the front of the car, it doesn't mean that they are pointing straight into the wind like cannons, they might go down, out the sides, who knows, so I doubt the back pressure issue would be a real one or something the team didn't consider.

Secondly weight is a non issue, any weight gained from the exhaust is just removed from ballast.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

luca
luca

Last edited by luca on 31 Jan 2011, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.

myurr
myurr

Giblet wrote:If the exhaust was to exit towards the front of the car, it doesn't mean that they are pointing straight into the wind like cannons, they might go down, out the sides, who knows, so I doubt the back pressure issue would be a real one or something the team didn't consider.

Secondly weight is a non issue, any weight gained from the exhaust is just removed from ballast.
That's how I thought it was described as working - blowing sideways, perhaps energising the flow of air around the side pods which then becomes the flow over the rear of the car. But I'm not an aero guy so I don't know if that's at all possible.

Either way I think the heat is going to be a major issue and packaging would be a nightmare. Guess we'll just have to wait to see if anyone like scarbs can shed any light on exactly where the exhausts are. Odds are they're at the back, but I like the idea of blowing the front of the floor no matter how far fetched it may be.

Carlo's
Carlo's

??

csponton
csponton

LOTUS-RENAULT R31 http://spontoncristiano.wordpress.com/
Finally, after many rumors and fake photos circulating these days on sites that deal with motor sport, Renault has unveiled the Lotus-Renault R31 or better.
Very eye-catching livery reminiscent of the last Lotus Renault driven by Ayrton Senna in 1985. At the technical level appears to be a very innovative car / aggressive and it seems that the engineers are starting from a blank sheet of paper because it has few features similar to the previous R30. It 's a car born to maximize the presence of the KERS car and trying to make the most of the regulations imposed by the FIA in 2011. It is confirmed that the high nose tends to fall in the area ends with a section V. This concept was introduced by Adrian Newey to Red Bull RB5 and carried to the extreme last year with the RB6. Curious shape of the rear wing support which has a forward curvature that resembles the nose of the Toyota TF109. The front wing but is very well maintained and developed a triplane that resembles the one installed on the R30 version, while the rear wing configuration is very simple but in 2011 (undoubtedly will undergo many changes before Bahrain)
The sides have curved shapes that are extremely low in the rear to get as much airflow as possible to the rear. The air intakes in contrast to other Renault Enstone born in recent years have a confined space. The fins on the sides of the passenger compartment and in the stomach area, unlike the other teams have seen so far seem larger and very sophisticated aerodynamic level to try to convey as much air as possible in the underbody and the rear.
As for the splitter Renault has used the same concept introduced on the R30 from the Malaysian GP again later by other teams.
The air intake Roll bar has a classic oval-shaped ones, but the two small air intakes on either side who last year were used to feed the lead F-Duct (this year it is illegal). Will serve as the engine to breathe better, to cool the system, or KERS, or have anything else? Who knows ...
The bonnet has quite classic forms and presentation of the fin that was going to link up with the rear wing but has a big loophole in the terminal area to evacuate the largest quantity of hot air from the engine. However, all teams will introduce later in the test, a bonnet with a fin shorter than those used until last year to try to "clean" as possible turbulence on the rear wing.
The rear area is the one that most surprised and perplexed me most of these new cars in 2011. As was expected as the rear suspension is a pull-rod. This made the engineers have designed a new gearbox to fit the new suspension model. Renault, so how will the Red Bull, has decided to adopt this scheme to try to create more space in the back as possible so as to render the speaker as effectively as possible and thus able to generate significant downforce load. The speaker, however, was masked as it seems to be the one used in the first race from the Renault R29. This is an area that will undergo significant changes before the opening race in Bahrain.
The news that more likely will create the first "scandal 2011" is the exhaust. You've seen you? I have not been able to understand where they are connected and where they can blow the exhaust gases. A person present at the presentation that I asked questions I indicated that we got news that the machine is installed an incredible and innovative drainage system. Discharges instead of going out in the back blowing out the front in a front to generate more downforce. I doubt that this is a particularly valuable in locating the exhaust gas in the front area will spring up in the turmoil harmful to the rear of the car. I would say that while not having them yet to be seen, the discharges are placed under the arms back in that area because this is the materiel that is usually used to resist heat.

However, if the 'indiscretion provided above is true and confirmed to be a great innovation for modern Formula 1.
The Kers that Renault will use the one developed by Magneti Marelli and will be an evolution of what Renault has used the same for several races in 2009. Unlike the season, R31 batteries to store energy recovered during braking will be linked in a special section created specifically under the petrol tank

myurr
myurr

Carlo's wrote:??
Carry handle?

FrukostScones

Carlo's wrote:
??
hydraulics for ARW ??
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

hecti
hecti

Carlo's wrote:Image

??
YEA!!!! blown deck wing!!!
long live the f-duct!!!

although more likely the hydraulics like stated above

ringo

Diesel wrote:
n smikle wrote:BS!!

You can obviously see the molding for exhaust under the rear wishbones. You can even see the heat resistant material out back. There is only kevlar/carbon fibre mix at the front. Kevlar is flame resistant, but the continuous temprature rating is not that high ~ 400C. Not to mention by running two phat 3 inch pipes under the car, you'll be baking every god damn thing under the driver.

The molds are there guys, just think for you selves. The skirt at the where is where the exhaust comes out. Last year an emphasis was placed on evening out the energy distribution of the hot gases from the exhaust. Putting the exhaust at the front will only serve to destroy that with huge amount of turbulence seen as the air makes it's way to the back.

If I'm wrong. I will change my avatar to a picture of HRT driver Sakon Yamamto for two weeks.
+1

Ps. I know this because I also have a friend inside Lotus Renault GP, ofcourse I can't tell you their name because they'll get sacked.
+1 James hunt approves:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khA67-r5lSQ[/youtube]
BS :lol:
For Sure!!

volarchico
volarchico

Giblet wrote:Secondly weight is a non issue, any weight gained from the exhaust is just removed from ballast.
You're not the first person to mention that "weight is a non issue", but I can't believe that's entirely the case. It's all about weight distribution, for sure. From what I've read, teams still try very hard to reduce weight so that then they get to CHOOSE where to ballast instead of being stuck with it.

Sukhoi
Sukhoi

Can anyone post here a pic of R30 without Engine cover , with Exhaust system mounted?

weird thought just stroke my mind... =P~

forty-two

As far as being able to move ballast around is concerned, don't we have standardised weight distribution this year? I'd have thought that one result of this was that ballast could no longer be moved around, or at least not to the same extent it could last year.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?