Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Renault R31

Yes, but there's a lot to be gained in CoG, still
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

forty-two

Don't get me wrong, I think this story about front exiting exhausts is hype. I'm just saying that now we have std weight dist. there is arguably LESS to gain by having spare ballast to move around.

In terms of COG, I guess theoretically there's no reason why you couldn't route exhaust pipes very low in the car, keeping the COG nice and low. It would melt the CF though!

Definitely smacks of a story being punted to get column inches to me, so I shall therefore refrain for further comment until some actual news or ideas come to light.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Blackout

Sukhoi wrote:Can anyone post here a pic of R30 without Engine cover , with Exhaust system mounted?

weird thought just stroke my mind... =P~

Giblet
Giblet

volarchico wrote:
Giblet wrote:Secondly weight is a non issue, any weight gained from the exhaust is just removed from ballast.
You're not the first person to mention that "weight is a non issue", but I can't believe that's entirely the case. It's all about weight distribution, for sure. From what I've read, teams still try very hard to reduce weight so that then they get to CHOOSE where to ballast instead of being stuck with it.
I would have been better to state that the gains they might be getting or think they will be getting would have to be larger than any small changes to weight distribution.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Sukhoi
Sukhoi

Blackout wrote:
Sukhoi wrote:Can anyone post here a pic of R30 without Engine cover , with Exhaust system mounted?

weird thought just stroke my mind... =P~

Thanks for the picture , but still it's not enough , gimme sight on a Engine :mrgreen: i would like to see how the exhaust is connected with engine directly.

Pweety please ! [-o<

oh and sorry for not precising my needs in the first place

Agerasia
Agerasia

Some of the comments on here amaze me.
Comments regarding too much back pressure if the exhaust was pointed forward are just plain false. Engines become very efficient when back pressure is introduced into the exhaust system, afterall that's exactly how systems like Yamaha's EXUP work. They virtually close the exhuast off at low revs.

I expect to see a lot more development over the course of the year in regards to those vanes forward of the rear well. It's an exploitable area with a lot of potential.

Lastly I strongly suspect that the exhaust is blown out the bottom of the sidepods at the point where it starts to narrow.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

Florio
Florio

n smikle wrote:BS!

You can obviously see the molding for exhaust under the rear wishbones. You can even see the heat resistant material out back. There is only kevlar/carbon fibre mix at the front. Kevlar is flame resistant, but the continuous temprature rating is not that high ~ 400C. Not to mention by running two phat 3 inch pipes under the car, you'll be baking every god damn thing under the driver.

The molds are there guys, just think for you selves. The skirt at the where is where the exhaust comes out. Last year an emphasis was placed on evening out the energy distribution of the hot gases from the exhaust. Putting the exhaust at the front will only serve to destroy that with huge amount of turbulence seen as the air makes it's way to the back.

If I'm wrong. I will change my avatar to a picture of HRT driver Sakon Yamamto for two weeks.
+2. I don't care how much ' the long dev period' they have had. Something as extreme as that is quite an unrealistic proposal in my eyes.

FW endplates; I can't tell much different at the moment, i've only had a look at an awkward angle though. That back end is sweet though, that pull rod makes the back end look beautiful.

mith

Well, tomorrow we'll start hunting for temp. stickers. They should be placed around the exhaust exit. Another indicator could be seeing some photos made on wet track, but honestly I don't wish any teem rain at the moment. We all remember how much it complicated last year tests.

PlatinumZealot

Agerasia wrote:Some of the comments on here amaze me.
Comments regarding too much back pressure if the exhaust was pointed forward are just plain false. Engines become very efficient when back pressure is introduced into the exhaust system, afterall that's exactly how systems like Yamaha's EXUP work. They virtually close the exhuast off at low revs.

I expect to see a lot more development over the course of the year in regards to those vanes forward of the rear well. It's an exploitable area with a lot of potential.

Lastly I strongly suspect that the exhaust is blown out the bottom of the sidepods at the point where it starts to narrow.

BS!
So why didn't REnault use a 1 inch exhaust pipe then? that will give them some real back pressure.

BS'ing aside.. NO and that is a big N O; engines are not supposed to be back-pressured. You are thinking about pulse tuning. Using scockwaves in the exhaust gases to increase flow. Sometimes other methods are used to create reversion of the gasses. That is totally different from back-pressure which is literally introducing a high pressure gradient for the engine to pump against. That reduces power and efficiency ESPECIALLY for a 750hp 18,000 rpm engine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

segedunum
segedunum

They are definitely doing something out of the ordinary, but I cannot see them routing hot gases around as some are speculating. That is something that would definitely go wrong.

They've got a few odd holes and what appears to be a very small deck to the top of the diffuser. They also have what appears to be another deck forward of the diffuser itself. They're feeding exhaust gases, probably directly, into these areas somewhere, probably in an attempt to create a set of specific pressure differences. I would expect people to be hunting around for the RB7's exhausts tomorrow as well.

Giblet
Giblet

Maybe not ALL the exhaust is routed up front (if any), maybe it is split.

Open your miiiiiiiind :)

Like Mr Walker used to oft say "Anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does"

After last years Fduct, with the majority of people claiming it impossible, unworkable, "it's for cooling", I have to say that anything could happen, and more seems to point to it being true than being false....

We'll soon know for sure. Just the heat haze under idle as soon as it fires up should be evidence enough.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ringo

There is only one beneficial place to route exhuast to the front, and that's on the undercut behind the widest part of the sidepod. Either that on ontop of the side pod in the same region.
Doing that would be a waste of the energy though, as you can't control the expansion.
It will blow over the tyres, and anywhere behind that point.
Focusing it on the diffuser may better.
This is what i think at least. A cfd is required to investigate.
For Sure!!

Seamus
Seamus

In your opinion, is it possible the exhaust to be under the floor, as here?

http://twitpic.com/3v8ago

http://twitpic.com/3v89cl

http://twitpic.com/3v897l

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

So you guys think this energy is being routed towards the driver, possibly under?

dren

Giblet wrote:Maybe not ALL the exhaust is routed up front (if any), maybe it is split.
It would involve some interesting piping if that was the case. The rules state only two exists for exhaust gas can exist. There must be some sort of loop hole if Renault is indeed blowing the gasses under the side pods. I thought there could only be one hole in the diffuser for the starter.
Honda!