Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
luca
luca

Re: Renault R31

In this article there are good pics with the exhaust system in action! You can clearly see fire coming out. http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... st-system/

mith

It looks like it's partly blowing over the floor and partly under it through that curved area. But we desperately need some higher resolution photos.

myurr
myurr

imightbewrong wrote:
myurr wrote:imightbewrong, That's the back of the barge board.
Ok, I'll try again. This is what I am talking about:
Actually I take it all back - you are in fact correct!!

I mistook it for the back of the barge board, but looking to the right you can see the barge board curving round in front. I believe you have actually found the exhaust! Sorry for my mistake.

Very interesting solution, if it works then it's going to be impossible for the rest of the grid to copy, but equally I could see some very slow parade / formation laps from people trying to cook the Renault. I don't think that car is going to like sitting still on the grid for too long.

Giblet
Giblet

double post

Server is under some heavy load right now and failing left and right.
Last edited by Giblet on 01 Feb 2011, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

Giblet wrote:
Diesel wrote:Yes we all see it, it's the back of the barge board. End.

Clear pictures please.

There we have it, glowing exhaust tips.

You still in denial?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

myurr
myurr

Interesting how the lower crash structure actually shields the side pod inlet to a degree.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Giblet wrote:You still in denial?
Easy now, no need to get offensive, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I can take being wrong, I just thought you misunderstood what I was referring to.

manchild
manchild

Those aren't glowing exhaust pipes. No way. If they were glowing like that at their end, manifold would be melting and engine cover in flames.

Giblet
Giblet

Sorry thought I was quoting diesel. The louder someone swears up and down something impossible to be true, the sweeter it is when true.

Scarbs is usually spot on.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Giblet wrote:Sorry thought I was quoting diesel. The louder someone swears up and down something impossible to be true, the sweeter it is when true.

eh.. hehe, you were. I miss read. Again. I blame the slooooow forums :D

horse

Has anyone got a good picture of the floor around the sidepods?

I'm sure I saw an image where it looks like the floor is cut away towards the front of the sidepod which would provide a route for some of the gases to go under the car.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Giblet
Giblet

manchild wrote:Those aren't glowing exhaust pipes. No way. If they were glowing like that at their end, manifold would be melting and engine cover in flames.
Good point. Must be flame we see there. Quite sure it's not orange paint.

csponton
csponton

http://spontoncristiano.wordpress.com/2 ... lotus-r31/
la prima vera novità che sta suscitando curiosità e perplessità sono gli scarichi della Lotus – Renault R31. Alla presentazione odierna sono stati tenuti nascosti ma sembra che questi, invece che soffiare sulla parte terminale del fondo come tutti, corrano lungo le protezioni del telaio fino all’altezza della presa d’aria delle pance e da lì girino soffiando in modo da lambire la carrozzeria o il fondo stesso per tutta la sua lunghezza invece che in coda. Diciamo sembra perché nessuno ha avuto modo di osservarli direttamente, perché la Renault li ha tenuti attentamente celati alla vista.

La soluzione, di questo sistema di scarichi, sembra essere molto estrema in quanto sono stati sistemati proprio ai lati dell’abitacolo in modo da interferire con il flusso d’aria che si dirige sotto la monoposto. Una soluzione in controtendenza rispetto a tutti gli altri e solo la pista potrà dire se la soluzione funzionerà o no. In Renault sono convinti che questa sia una soluzione fincente e che li altri non riusciranno a copiarla cosi facilmente e in tempi brevi in quanto necessità di molte ore di galleria del vento per essere tarata al meglio.

GOOGLE TRANSLATE

The first real innovation that is arousing curiosity and perplexity are the discharges of the Lotus - Renault R31. At today's presentation were kept secret but it seems that these, instead of blowing on the end of the bottom like everyone else, running along the protections of the frame to the height of the air intake of the bench and rotate from there to lick the blowing body or the fund for its entire length rather than the tail. We say apparently because no one has been able to observe directly, because Renault has kept them carefully hidden from view.

The solution of this system of drains, seems to be very extreme as they have been placed right at the sides of the cabin so as to interfere with the flow of air that goes under the car. A solution in contrast with everyone else and only the track will tell whether the solution will work or not. Renault are convinced that this is a solution fincente and others will fail to copy them so easily and quickly because the need for many hours of wind tunnel to be calibrated to the best.

Technical director, James Allison, merely saying that one of the objectives of the project was exactly to use the drain to blow on the bottom. But nobody imagined this. The hides found a purpose certainly tried in the wind tunnel. How effective - and remains so - we'll know tomorrow after the first test session

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Giblet wrote:Sorry thought I was quoting diesel. The louder someone swears up and down something impossible to be true, the sweeter it is when true.

Never said it was impossible, only ever asked for a proper source. This image is the best so far, nice job.

H.Lyoud
H.Lyoud