Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RH1300S
RH1300S

Re: Renault R31

First - it's worth saying that the orange 'glow' in those photos is obviously paint. So that opening may or may not be exhaust.

One thing I would be interested to know is just what effect that long exhaust would have on engine performance. Do we have anyone here who could speculate?

Typical 'bar expert' theory says that a longer exhaust suits making power at lower revs. Obviously the header pipes to the collector are still likely to be short, but the tailpipe from collector to atmosphere would be pretty long.

horse

You can see the cut out in the floor in this image:

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

creedbratton
creedbratton

Does anyone know what the inlets on either side of the airbox are for?

manchild
manchild

Orange stickers, not flame, not glowing pipe.

They have them on rims too:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2011-1.jpg
Last edited by manchild on 01 Feb 2011, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

myurr
myurr

creedbratton wrote:Does anyone know what the inlets on either side of the airbox are for?
Cooling air for the oil radiator I believe.

mith

It's just my speculation, but well... It wont harm I guess ;)

So, I've marked potential exhaust pipe with white contour. The pink line marks cut in the floor, where you can see the ground.

I think exhaust might be positioned into that cut, bit lower then the floor surface. Red line is not a split in the exhaust as this would be rather illegal. I put it there to mark how the floor edge could split exhaust gases. The yellow arrows marks how might behave part of the gases that are blown over the floor. They're - in my opinion - being directed around sidepods by the curvature in the floor as well as by the sidepod deflector. The light blue arrows marks the route for the part of gases that goes under the floor. They will probably go under the curved part of the floor. I don't know what could be the benefits of directing part of the gases there. Maybe it's to seal that part of the floor and mimic skirts to get something like a ground effect? But it's rather wild guess ;)

I'm waiting for opinions from more technical guys here.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I'm not convinced any of these pictures are showing the actual exhaust exit. Scarbs seems to think it exits at a completely different angle, and in a place where none of these pictures clearly show.

If it does exit to the front of the car, it's not visible in these images, but it is most likely in that area.

mith

creedbratton wrote:Does anyone know what the inlets on either side of the airbox are for?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2011-1.jpg
From that angle nose looks really reminiscent of old Benettons like B195.

Those inlets are for cooling purposes. Someone speculated they might be for cooling KERS, but I'm not that sure.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

mith wrote:Image

I don't know what could be the benefits of directing part of the gases there. Maybe it's to seal that part of the floor and mimic skirts to get something like a ground effect? But it's rather wild guess ;)

Yep, your spot on, that is what they are trying to do (mimic the effect of skirts).
kilcoo316 wrote:Another possibility is pointing the exhausts outboard at around the splitter location, in an attempt to better "seal" off the floor of the car; think fluidic sideskirts. That would also correlate with the re-introduction of the positive camber "wing" ahead of the sidepod at floor level. But you want that (exhaust) air to be very high energy to induce a strong longitudinal vortex down the side of the car.

FrukostScones

the Renault is sounding very "unhealthy" according to Auto-Motor-und-Sport.de
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Neno
Neno

FrukostScones wrote:the Renault is sounding very "unhealthy" according to Auto-Motor-und-Sport.de
:mrgreen:
R31 takes its first bow. The best sounding car in the pit lane thanks to our innovative exhaust system! http://yfrog.com/gzyvkufj

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

THENOMAD79
THENOMAD79

kilcoo316 wrote:
mith wrote:Image

I don't know what could be the benefits of directing part of the gases there. Maybe it's to seal that part of the floor and mimic skirts to get something like a ground effect? But it's rather wild guess ;)

Yep, your spot on, that is what they are trying to do (mimic the effect of skirts).
kilcoo316 wrote:Another possibility is pointing the exhausts outboard at around the splitter location, in an attempt to better "seal" off the floor of the car; think fluidic sideskirts. That would also correlate with the re-introduction of the positive camber "wing" ahead of the sidepod at floor level. But you want that (exhaust) air to be very high energy to induce a strong longitudinal vortex down the side of the car.
Why should he exhaust all the way forward?
Why would the exhaust system was a 2000 mm long, if it will create resistance to exhaust gases and cause a drop in engine power, to get a little bit on aerodynamics?

FrukostScones

ESPImperium wrote:Better pics here: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/01/r ... -pictured/
they are insane... already it is causing major problems..., according to "ams" Renault is working with heavy equipment on the exaust, Kubica stays silent and is smiling
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Diesel wrote:Yes we all see it, it's the back of the barge board. End.

Clear pictures please.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/01/r ... -pictured/

There you go, so, not the back of the barge board, "as all could see" :wink: