Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Renault R31

Ok, but look at the gurneys placed on the diffuser; their presence would mean that the air flowing above the diffuser is quite powerful, wouldn't it ?

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Like i said its not a unobstructed free flowing stream of air (we know this). But the air is still being pushed through. The air has to go somewhere especially at 200mph. And if its not... Then i would think theres gonna be some major cooling issues. Like i said... If it didnt work, it would be pretty unintelligent to design sidepods that big... And dont even try to tell me that its because its to make room for the forward routed exhausts. Its a 4 or 5 inch pipe not a sewage drain.

Ringo... that huge opening in the front of the side pod + 200mph = your mass flow for ya

***Perfect example--- Ever look at a super trap exhaust or a muffler in general? Would you agree that its turbulent? Now what has a more powerful flow... a muffler setup or straight pipes? Your answer... theyre exactly the same.. yes the muffler has more resistance and turbulence (nobody denies this) but under pressure theyre gonna flow the same amount of air because the same amout of air is coming out of the motor and being forced out the end of the exhaust. Your turbulence theory is irrelevent when under alot of pressure.

Now add a nozzle to the end of that muffler for a higher velocity (Nozzle= r31 tiny sidepod exits)... this is what renault is doing in theory

Im getting tired... can someone that understands take the night shift to explain this once again to the next person that tells me its turbulent under the engine cover... Thanks
Last edited by AbbaleRacing77 on 11 Feb 2011, 07:02, edited 6 times in total.

raymondu999

Don't gurneys usually mean a lot of drag?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

ringo wrote:The top of the diffuser needs more than hot air, it needs mass flow.
Yeah, but on that particular car (and a few others) we see cooling outlets with much smaller area than inlets. That should bring energy back.

Twaddle
Twaddle

timbo wrote:
ringo wrote:The top of the diffuser needs more than hot air, it needs mass flow.
Yeah, but on that particular car (and a few others) we see cooling outlets with much smaller area than inlets. That should bring energy back.
You might want to re-word that slightly. It should increase the velocity out the back, but bring energy back it most certainly can't.

I'm wondering how much of the pressure loss associated with the increased velocity is offset by the heat picked up from the radiators and how much they're relying on the gurney to restore pressure above the diffuser.

timbo
timbo

Twaddle wrote:
timbo wrote:
You might want to re-word that slightly. It should increase the velocity out the back, but bring energy back it most certainly can't.
Well, maybe energy density is better?))
I'm wondering how much of the pressure loss associated with the increased velocity is offset by the heat picked up from the radiators and how much they're relying on the gurney to restore pressure above the diffuser.
One thing is certain to me, radiator inlets are oversized compared to RedBull (same engine/KERS) – IMO that indicates they are playing tricks with the flow in and out of sidepods.

Blackout

Much bigger brake ducts + mecanic/aero (?) tests on the wheels

Callum

Blackout wrote:Much bigger brake ducts + mecanic/aero (?) tests on the wheels

I believe they are tyre temp sensors. (most of the equipment is behind the tyre and out of view in this picture)

scarbs
scarbs

They're wheel force sensors for building up their tyre simulation models...

see:
http://www.kistler.com/LI_en-ch/13_Prod ... -cars.html
Last edited by scarbs on 11 Feb 2011, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Callum

scarbs wrote:They're wheel force sensors to building up their tyre models...

see:
http://www.kistler.com/LI_en-ch/13_Prod ... -cars.html
Boom, that's me proven wrong.

Are there tyre temp sensors that span half the tyre kindof like this guys glasses?

netoperek
netoperek

Callum wrote: Are there tyre temp sensors that span half the tyre kindof like this guys glasses?
You can measure thermal radiation of the tire

scarbs
scarbs

Callum wrote:
Are there tyre temp sensors that span half the tyre kindof like this guys glasses?
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/12/0 ... abu-dhabi/

nacho
nacho

Nice flew on the wing, could be more though.

tom12333
tom12333

Tere are another temperature stickers near the rear crash structure.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Can I just say the main part of the rear wing is rather large, I would have though you would want the lower part to be pretty flat to get the most of the ARW.

Here's the McLaren to compare, note the larger flap size.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)