Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
747heavy

Re: Renault R31

to compliment feyman´s post some closeup´s and info about such temp stickers.

more info for the interested:

How do they work?
The key component at the core of the label is a number of active layers – and remember we’re talking very, very thin layers. One of these layers is a carefully formulated white wax which is located over a layer of black paper. When heat is absorbed by the paper it expands – like a sponge – whilst melting the wax. The wax seeps through the black paper, giving the visual colour change from white to black. A red paper can be used to give a white to red colour change. This whole process takes a maximum of about 4 seconds, with that time decreasing if a indicator temperature is exceeded very quickly. All the labels are backed with adhesive and a good seal to the surface is part of ensuring the indicator works well.
http://www.temperature-indicators.co.uk ... ucatio.htm
Last edited by 747heavy on 14 Feb 2011, 21:14, edited 2 times in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

dren

Blackout wrote:We know where the outlets are, we started discussing about them on page 42 with this post:
viewtopic.php?p=223595#p223595

but they remain quite misterious...
AbbaleRacing77, Lindz and I think these outlets are designed to blow the hot air just above the diffuser, an air accelerated inside the sidepods thanks to a Venturi effect.
Would that create more drag? It looks like it is designed to blow over the top of the diffuser.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

The sticker is to calibrate and even correct whatever software they are using IMO.

You got he exhaust gases, the radiator air, the differential the oil cooler - heat generating devices. And if you are using temperature to increase wing performance you have to take all of these into account.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

segedunum
segedunum

dren wrote:Would that create more drag?
It might, but it's all about net gain. If it gives you a significant increase in useable downforce at the rear and around the diffuser, and you have the capacity to control it, then you generally do it. When you're using heat you're trying to get multiple Bernoulli effects on the go to magnify the impact.

Renault are juggling a few balls here and it looks as if they've got the understanding and infrastructure to go for it. The pace of development is quite impressive. Pity Kubica isn't going to be at the wheel of this thing. Red Bull may or may not have an advantage, but I'd be a little more worried even if I was Ferrari or McLaren. They're certainly not shooting in the dark, that's for sure.

amouzouris

those outlets could be mixing cool air which is not slowed down by the air hitting the radiators which creates drug to reduce the temperature inside the car and also to speed air up as the hole on the rear of the car for the heated air to exit is very small (which gives them less drag) and speeded up air can increase the rate of which hot air exits the car to bring it to the level it was when it had a large hole like the red bull's one...

Lindz

If they are showing a higher temperature, maybe it's because they are located quite close to the differential in the gearbox. That, plus the hot air exiting the sidepod might be a higher temp than what the other sensors are showing (from the FEE, possibly).

Richard
Richard

Several people have mentioned the benefit of heating air in the sidepods with the expansion accelerating the flow. You've talked about radiators, but there could also be a rather hot exhaust pipe routed through that space too. Even more heat.

Personally, I'm still a little puzzled about why this arrangement from huge inlet to tiny outlet doesn't choke.

Richard
Richard

manchild wrote:
I've been suggesting a tunnel between radiator and chassis more than 5 years ago - the day I've joined the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1341
Impressive!!! =D> =D> =D>

viewtopic.php?p=223890#p223890

forty-two

richard_leeds wrote: Impressive!!! =D> =D> =D>
No doubt spoken in a James Earl Jones / Darth Vader voice? :D
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Blackout wrote:We know where the outlets are, we started discussing about them on page 42 with this post:
viewtopic.php?p=223595#p223595

but they remain quite misterious...
AbbaleRacing77, Lindz and I think these outlets are designed to blow the hot air just above the diffuser, an air accelerated inside the sidepods thanks to a Venturi effect.
Im sick of trying to convince the doubters. The truth will come out eventually...

RichardHH
RichardHH

richard_leeds wrote:Several people have mentioned the benefit of heating air in the sidepods with the expansion accelerating the flow. You've talked about radiators, but there could also be a rather hot exhaust pipe routed through that space too. Even more heat.
I personally agre with Richards assumtion about the Heat build up from the exhaust pipes, especially if they are routed to the front for the FEE. Thats quite a lot of red hot surface area. Even if it looks like they are routing 'cool' air (as in not heated through the radiaters) along the exhaust, the heat build up in the center air flow could be quite significant, hence the temp stickers on the crash structure.

horse

There also are not "easy" routes out for the hot air from the radiators and the engine, so I assume that the bodywork must be getting pretty hot as well. Considering the massive gape that RB like to have to chill the Renault, it's quite amazing how restrictive Lotus Renault think they can be. I'd love to see whether they can keep the body work so closed come a hot hot race.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Carlo's
Carlo's

Richard
Richard

^^^^ So that's how Petrov is going to keep up with Heidfeld!

Or is it a new anti-Webber device for Valencia? Sorry, that was the other Lotus.

Blackout

Thanks guys for your answers about the temp stickers.

Another question, (maybe a bit rhetoric : P )
Why are the sidepods wide around the engine, if the exhaust manifolds are routed towards the front ? The bodywork should be more tight in the area near the ''make roads safe'' stickers...

R31/RB7 comparison: