Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Renault R31

furnik28 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:Image

whats that shaft thing above the steering rack is that what was banned when bar had front brake torque control.?
Sorry, not sure I know what part you're looking at?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Callum

It's interesting that in the picture above the upper parallel wishbone (right above the steering arm) seems to be only half bonded to the rear part of the nosecone. Surely it will be much less strong?

manchild
manchild

Indeed, it looks like shaft joint. It even has teething like for ABS sensor.

marekk
marekk

marcush. wrote:forget this ramming thing.You got a significant pressure drop through this duct even without a radiator.And the pressure drop will not go away by making the inlet bigger.
At a certain point of necking down the pressure drop will just cancel out the pressure you got available to drive the system and air speed at the exit will simply be equal to the surrounding one.that 17% volume expansion ....is not even enough to fill the void cut into the air stream by the radiator which occupies surely more than 17% of the crossection of the duct at the start of the exit duct.It will help to fill the volume but not much more.
Marcus,
it's maybe a slightly counterintiutive, but when a gas accelerate through a nozzle, the velocity increase and the pressure and the gas density decrease, until we arrive at sound of speed, when flow's definitely chocked. And i don't think we are close to speed of sound at this renault. We don't have a regular nozzle either, but something close to it, maybe it works.
And output flow will be 17% quicker compared do "cold" radiators - regardless you use it tho blow difuser or not.

Tim.Wright

furnik28 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:Image

whats that shaft thing above the steering rack is that what was banned when bar had front brake torque control.?
My guess is its the anti-roll bar, though I can't quite figure out how the links go.

Tim

PS, an ABS sensor wont work on an anodised aluminium part
Not the engineer at Force India

Holm86

manchild wrote:Indeed, it looks like shaft joint. It even has teething like for ABS sensor.

I just think it is damper adjustment ....

manchild
manchild

Tim.Wright wrote:PS, an ABS sensor wont work on an anodised aluminium part
Who said that it is aluminum, plus anodized?

That looks like gold-plated whatever is underneath the gold (aluminum or steel).

Holm86

manchild wrote:

That looks like gold-plated whatever is underneath the gold (aluminum or steel).

Does it matter at all? ABS is illegal ....

HampusA

manchild wrote:

Why would they use gold in such a place? Makes no sense.

Gold is the best heat receptor(?) don´t know if that´s the right word, sorry.
And what could possibly get so hot in the nosecone that they have to use gold?

Gold is probably the worst material you can use for parts etc since it´s a very soft material if 24K and 18K it´s better but still relatively soft.

You often see gold near the engine like the Mclaren F1 for example.
The truth will come out...

manchild
manchild

I just said "like for ABS" to suggest that it is a rotating part with teething for sensor readout. What is the real purpose of this gadget on R31 is yet to be found out.

Diameter of the aperture in which it is laid in, clearly suggests that it is done so to enable the angular movement of shaft together with suspension.

It could be additional KERS generator powered with front wheels rotation when brakes are engaged.

Regarding gold, gold isn't good for heat reception but rejection. Someone with more knowledge than me on materials already said that aluminum can't be used for sensor teething readout, so I've mentioned gold-plated, since it is definitely not just yellow paint.

I reckon gold can be used for readout?

BTW, since when did they started placing ECU in front of the chassis?

forty-two

manchild wrote: BTW, since when did they started placing ECU in front of the chassis?
+1
I was wondering that too, but then I got to thinking, perhaps given the demand for KERS space + larger fuel tank and of course the now standardised weight distribution. Perhaps one or none of these is the reason though..

I think the normal location for the SECU in the past was under the driver, so maybe the unconventional exhaust layout meant that everything around there needed to be cooled?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

furnik28
furnik28

there is the same on the other side of it it could be for kers. "NOT A ROLL BAR" as they r those things top corners of the chassis
rok

zgred

myurr
myurr

forty-two wrote:
manchild wrote: BTW, since when did they started placing ECU in front of the chassis?
+1
I was wondering that too, but then I got to thinking, perhaps given the demand for KERS space + larger fuel tank and of course the now standardised weight distribution. Perhaps one or none of these is the reason though..

I think the normal location for the SECU in the past was under the driver, so maybe the unconventional exhaust layout meant that everything around there needed to be cooled?
According to scarbs twitter feed that isn't the SECU it's a data logger, also made by MES.

Tim.Wright

furnik28 wrote:there is the same on the other side of it it could be for kers. "NOT A ROLL BAR" as they r those things top corners of the chassis
No they are the torsion bars.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India