Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
manchild
manchild

Re: Renault R31

They've been testing discs with different cooling holes. Split/double and plain rectangular/single.

manchild
manchild

Tim.Wright wrote:
furnik28 wrote:there is the same on the other side of it it could be for kers. "NOT A ROLL BAR" as they r those things top corners of the chassis
No they are the torsion bars.

Tim
Let's have a fight :P

No those are nor torsion bars.

Torsion bars are located above, longitudinally, starting where pointed and heading backward, with rockers attached to them. The extensions seen on pic operate the third damper if I'm not mistaken.

furnik28
furnik28

Tim.Wright wrote:
furnik28 wrote:there is the same on the other side of it it could be for kers. "NOT A ROLL BAR" as they r those things top corners of the chassis
No they are the torsion bars.

Tim
sorry how long have u been in f1 or do you play ps2 games

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1307
rok

kwanchepan
kwanchepan

I am curious about the featuretion of that sensor and wire in green area on the rear wing. Seems there has the sensor on the other side.
2/18 Barcelona test(Test in Jerez also has used it)

kwanchepan
kwanchepan

2/18 Barcelona Test(Main inlet)

kwanchepan
kwanchepan

marcush.
marcush.

marekk wrote:
marcush. wrote:forget this ramming thing.You got a significant pressure drop through this duct even without a radiator.And the pressure drop will not go away by making the inlet bigger.
At a certain point of necking down the pressure drop will just cancel out the pressure you got available to drive the system and air speed at the exit will simply be equal to the surrounding one.that 17% volume expansion ....is not even enough to fill the void cut into the air stream by the radiator which occupies surely more than 17% of the crossection of the duct at the start of the exit duct.It will help to fill the volume but not much more.
Marcus,
it's maybe a slightly counterintiutive, but when a gas accelerate through a nozzle, the velocity increase and the pressure and the gas density decrease, until we arrive at sound of speed, when flow's definitely chocked. And i don't think we are close to speed of sound at this renault. We don't have a regular nozzle either, but something close to it, maybe it works.
And output flow will be 17% quicker compared do "cold" radiators - regardless you use it tho blow difuser or not.
I do not deny this.My pointis .will the heating be able to recover the speed lost in the radiator core?
My point is:putting the air through the duct will always have losses coming with it,there is no free lunch.undoubtedly you need exits for the hot air and inlet for the cold air in and the aim is to have as low losses as possible,not increasing the flow through the body to achieve something (stop -the f-duct was definetly doing exactly this ...)

marcush.
marcush.

with reference to the torsion bars:

Renault use for a while now an arrangement connecting the rocker arms of the suspension via a staaight bar visible in front of the tub instead of anchoring the torsion bar to the chassis itself.
the effect of this is clearly they will have No rollresistance coming from the primary torsionsprings as these will feed all forces to the other side of the car.
the big Thing lower down is another torsion spring or lets call it ARB which is really taking the loads from single bump and cornering.
so the rocker mounted torsionbars will take all heave and pitch as a pair of springs in series.Roll and single bump will be taken by the ARB arrangement in series with the torsionbars.
The ARB must be very stiff ..as otherwise the car would roll a lot wouldn´t it?
well looking at the size of the bearing it is.
not the best pictures but the connection bar is visible:
tub only -clearly no provision for the New ARB

And on R29 the ARB installion shows:

marekk
marekk

marcush. wrote:
marekk wrote:
marcush. wrote:forget this ramming thing.You got a significant pressure drop through this duct even without a radiator.And the pressure drop will not go away by making the inlet bigger.
At a certain point of necking down the pressure drop will just cancel out the pressure you got available to drive the system and air speed at the exit will simply be equal to the surrounding one.that 17% volume expansion ....is not even enough to fill the void cut into the air stream by the radiator which occupies surely more than 17% of the crossection of the duct at the start of the exit duct.It will help to fill the volume but not much more.
Marcus,
it's maybe a slightly counterintiutive, but when a gas accelerate through a nozzle, the velocity increase and the pressure and the gas density decrease, until we arrive at sound of speed, when flow's definitely chocked. And i don't think we are close to speed of sound at this renault. We don't have a regular nozzle either, but something close to it, maybe it works.
And output flow will be 17% quicker compared do "cold" radiators - regardless you use it tho blow difuser or not.
I do not deny this.My pointis .will the heating be able to recover the speed lost in the radiator core?
My point is:putting the air through the duct will always have losses coming with it,there is no free lunch.undoubtedly you need exits for the hot air and inlet for the cold air in and the aim is to have as low losses as possible,not increasing the flow through the body to achieve something (stop -the f-duct was definetly doing exactly this ...)
Yeah. Fluids do behave a little bit weird sometimes.
I think the key to understand it is to imagine, that what we have around us is mostly nothing. If you use some realy strong gravitation (like in neutronino stars for example), you can easy squize our earth to the diameter of average apple. Not kidding.
And air is even much thinner then average earth's mater.
There is simply vast of empty space to fill. Just my view on this.

Of course nothing's free in universum, so you will have some drag resulting from the flow, but it's mainly due to friction (air do have some viscosity) and turbulences (induced drag), not due to pressure increase in sidepods. In fact there is no significant pressure build up in front of radiators. Due to those losses it's not possible to get nett thrust from this configuration (radiators are to cold for it to work), but you have to carry sidepods with radiators anyway.

Until chocked, output speed of this flow will be bigger then input flow speed, due to thermal expansion, creating lower pressure regions at the back. You can speed it up even more with right geometry of output area - think of nozzle as diffuser working backwards (very efficient, lots of flow, low drag). Just the right shape to put air molecules in right place in those empty spaces.
As i said, no idea if this really works, but from physic's point of view it's possible.

timbo
timbo

This was already noted here, if I'm not mistaken?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_Effect

Blackout

Last edited by Blackout on 20 Feb 2011, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

korzeniow
korzeniow

Blackout wrote:Image
It's nice photo but nothing new there, I think
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Tim.Wright

manchild wrote: Let's have a fight :P

No those are nor torsion bars.

Torsion bars are located above, longitudinally, starting where pointed and heading backward, with rockers attached to them. The extensions seen on pic operate the third damper if I'm not mistaken.
Hey manchild, yea thats what I meant, though perhaps not worded so well. The parts you pointed out are indeed the torsion bars. I was referring to them while correcting furnik. The bar in question looks likes like a typical T type anti roll bar but I can't figure out how its operated. I didn't follow the post of Marcush very well but he seems to have at least investigated harder than I have!
furnik28 wrote: sorry how long have u been in f1 or do you play ps2 games
Wouldn't you like to know...

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

Blackout

I posted it because it's the first photo where we can see the exhausts, the turning vanes, the bargeboards and the splitter clearly and how they are shaped...

forty-two

Blackout wrote:I posted it because it's the first photo where we can see the exhausts, the turning vanes, the bargeboards and the splitter clearly and how they are shaped...
And your image also shows what I think must be a pitot tube coming out from above the splitter and running sideways accross the bib. I can't see the end of it though, so I suspect that it must continue under the bib.

I guess given all the work that's gone into the FEE, they probably need to know what the pressures under the bib are doing?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?