Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Renault R31

marcush. wrote:http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/mes_p ... SL-500.pdf

so maybe it is that device.

Spot on. Now that mystery is solved :)

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Is that a testing only device, or will they race it, that's the question?

madly wrote:Zgred thanks, great photo!

Below HiRes version with brightened dark areas.

and HiRes link: http://sliwinski.priv.pl/f1/r31_fee_2011_03_24.jpg

EDIT: typo
On the canister thingy; I doubt it is this, but what size reservoir would you need for a hydraulic KERS setup?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

madly wrote:Zgred thanks, great photo!

Below HiRes version with brightened dark areas.

and HiRes link: http://sliwinski.priv.pl/f1/r31_fee_2011_03_24.jpg

EDIT: typo
On the canister thingy; I doubt it is this, but what size reservoir would you need for a hydraulic KERS setup?
Im thiking it could be the engine air compressor expansion vessel.

Callum

Just to explain my fire extinguisher idea. I thought that it could be used if the car suddenly stops on track, away from mechanics with big leaf blowers. If it comes into the pits it will be force cooled, if not it may overheat, catch fire, etc etc.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

I quite like the fire extinguisher idea, particularly as we have seen the damage the car does to the tarmac during pitstops with its exhaust system, and extinguisher could be a very sensible addition.

Though another quick thought is the figure "45.12?? 75.0 lambda" i wonder what this could signify, or whether thats just left over from the building of the chassis
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

madly
madly

HiRes: http://sliwinski.priv.pl/f1/r31_fee_201 ... _areas.jpg

Could be inlets 1 and 2 separate or areas 1 & 2 are one big inlet?
What about suspected inlet 3?

Hangaku

Robbobnob wrote:I quite like the fire extinguisher idea, particularly as we have seen the damage the car does to the tarmac during pitstops with its exhaust system, and extinguisher could be a very sensible addition.

Though another quick thought is the figure "45.12?? 75.0 lambda" i wonder what this could signify, or whether thats just left over from the building of the chassis
I like the idea of it, but it would surely add enough weight for it to be a hindrance on performance? I'm not sure I would go to all the bother of having this innovative exhaust system, just to nullify a degree of it's performance by adding weight for safety devices. Just a thought.
Yer.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

madly wrote: HiRes: http://sliwinski.priv.pl/f1/r31_fee_201 ... _areas.jpg

Stop inventing phantom inlets? Your looking at one sidepod intake, simple as.

Richard
Richard

Re fire extinguisher....

OK, so they're not going to add something heavy like that just because it'd be nice, are they? Also, its in a vulnerable position so likely to fail after a big crash, just when it is needed.

The rules do require a fire extinguisher, but it has to be inside the survival cell. Therefore the canister in the pic is NOT part of the fire extinguisher system.

Personally, I'd say it looks like an expansion/pressurization tank. It is located next to the radiators, the hydraulic parts are usually mounted on or next to the gearbox. So my guess is that it is for the radiator coolant.

Extract of the fire extinguisher rules copied below.

Code: Select all

14.1 Fire extinguishers :

14.1.1 All cars must be fitted with a fire extinguishing system which will discharge into the cockpit and into the engine compartment.

14.1.2 Any extinguishant listed in the Appendix to the regulations is permitted.

14.1.3 The quantity of extinguishant may vary according to the type of extinguishant used, a list of quantities may be found in the Appendix to these regulations.

14.1.4 When operated, the fire extinguishing system must discharge 95% of its  contents at a constant pressure in no less than 10 seconds and no more than 30 seconds.  If more than one container with extinguishant is fitted, they must be released simultaneously.

14.1.5 Each pressure vessel must be equipped with a means of checking its pressure which may vary according to the type of extinguishant used. A list of pressures may be found in the Appendix to the regulations.

14.1.6 The following information must be visible on each container with extinguishant :

a) Type of extinguishant ;
b) Weight or volume of the extinguishant ;
c) Date the container must be checked which must be no more than two years after the date of filling.

14.1.7 All parts of the extinguishing system must be situated within the survival cell and all extinguishing equipment must withstand fire.

14.1.8 Any triggering system having its own source of energy is permitted, provided it is possible to operate all extinguishers should the main electrical circuits of the car fail.

The driver must be able to trigger the extinguishing system manually when seated normally with his safety belts fastened and the steering wheel in place.
Furthermore, means of triggering from the outside must be combined with the circuit breaker switches described in Article 14.2.2. They must be marked with a letter "E" in red inside a white circle of at least 100mm diameter with a red edge.

14.1.9 The system must work in any position, even when the car is inverted.

14.1.10 All extinguisher nozzles must be suitable for the extinguishant and be installed in such a way that they are not directly pointed at the driver.

Richard
Richard

Robbobnob wrote:Though another quick thought is the figure "45.12?? 75.0 lambda" i wonder what this could signify, or whether thats just left over from the building of the chassis
If you zoom in you can see nearly every carbon piece has a similar number. I suspect it is the serial number for each part. The Lamda looks like a 2 or L to me. As in L for left side of car?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Diesel wrote:
madly wrote: HiRes: http://sliwinski.priv.pl/f1/r31_fee_201 ... _areas.jpg

Stop inventing phantom inlets? Your looking at one sidepod intake, simple as.
Actually we know that the Renault has a small inlet on the inboard side of the duct. It appears to be the area indictaed as 3 by madly. As for 2 in his image, I'd say it's just shadowing and a bit of image noise.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marekk
marekk

Crazy as it sounds, i think this canister has something to do with cooling - but i mean cooling the driver.
If it's a vacuum flask, it can hold even liquid gas.
Those carbon fibre mounts are way to solid to just hold thinny walled air filled bootle.

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

All good f1 teams assign numbers to every single part. All of these numbers are logged into a inventory database and the lifecycle is tracked for literally every part on the car. They specify a certain mileage for every part and they are alerted for the part that needs to be changed to ensure maximum reliability and inventory for spare parts.

As for it being a fire extinguisher... theres no way. First give away is that there's no mechanical trigger or valve. The extinguishing systems that ive installed on formula cars always are on the floor from one tank hooked to a series of discharge hoses. On the floor because its a solid 3 gallons of weight. Seeing that theres no valve im gonna have to say that this is a collection tank for overflowed coolant or somthing that doesnt need to be controlled...

f1maniack
f1maniack

Could it be the drink bottle for the driver?