Raikkonen to NASCAR!!!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
danyduc
danyduc

Re: Raikkonen to NASCAR!!!

This is a big surprise to me, i mean why go to Nascar when you already have quite a steep learning curve in the WRC and you are still trying to get a hold of it?

donskar
donskar

If true: good news for NASCAR and good news for all fans of tough, no BS racers.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Sean H
Sean H

donskar wrote:If true: good news for NASCAR and good news for all fans of tough, no BS racers.
+1 here...

I would even go to a truck race to see the Iceman.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

Echo

Americans are great in à straight line, ... . NASCAR quite boring (my point of view)! :mrgreen:
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 30 Mar 2011, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed disrespectful comment.
Rich teams should only be allowed to win

Ciro Pabón

My brother doesn't like chocolate ice cream. I like that, because I can have more ice cream, but I think he lacks something I have that makes me very happy.

For example, next year, if this thread is right, I can watch Kimi Räikkönen driving a NASCAR car and you won't. I have no problem with that, but I'd say you lack... etc. etc.
Ciro

Pup
Pup

I've got a friend who prefers strawberry. But he's an idiot.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-2 ... -team.html
Kimi Raikkonen, the 2007 Formula One champion, is considering an offer to join a team in the Nascar auto-racing series, his agent David Robertson said.

Robertson declined to identify the team the 31-year-old Finn was talking to.

“Negotiations are ongoing but nothing is guaranteed,” Robertson said by telephone. “Somebody had come to us with an offer and we are considering it.”

Raikkonen is set to join a new team, ICE1 Racing, in the Truck series before moving to the Nationwide and Sprint Cup categories, Autosport.com reported, citing Finland’s Turun Sanomat newspaper.

One of the team’s partners is Foster Gillett, the son of George Gillett, according to Autosport.com. George Gillett is the former owner of the Liverpool soccer team and the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team.

Raikkonen was the top-earning athlete after golfer Tiger Woods in 2008 with $45 million in income, according to Forbes magazine.

He was dropped by Ferrari after the 2009 season and left Formula One to compete in the World Rally Championship for Citroen last year. Raikkonen remains committed to his contract in the rally series, Robertson said.

Scorpaguy

"straight lines"

It seems to me Europe's top drivers seem to find nascar a handful....as do America's top drivers find F1 a handful. But then no American has had a recent drive in a competitive F1 car. I'd surmise both "mountains" are a fairly steep climb.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Once hes finished his foray there, hes should venture down under and give the old V8s a go!!
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

djos

NASCAR is like chess at 320kph and very difficult to master - you can be a great driver with a great team but if you cant work with your crew cheif to extract the performance from your car and keep it tuned throughout the entire race you are finished.

Just look at the last few years of Dale Jr's career, he's sucked harder than a hoover and been thru about 3 or 4 crew chiefs and this is a guy with a stack of race wins and huge pedigree!

Then there are guy's like Aussie Marcos Ambrose, (who won 2 V8SC championships back to back in the worlds toughest touring car category where the ability to drive under tired and over powered tin tops with next to no Aero downforce is key), who has really done it tough to learn the ropes and had a few good results including multiple road course wins in the 2nd tier category plus a bunch of top 5's on Road courses and Ovals.

My point is NASCAR is friggin hard!!!
"In downforce we trust"

Pup
Pup

Chess?

Forgive me, I must laugh. :lol:

Since when did they start handing out chess championships via lottery? Forget whether or not it's tough to drive around an oval - the only thing that matters these days in NASCAR is where you happen to be when the last yellow is thrown. 499 laps of filler for the commercials, then a sprint to the end.

djos

Pup wrote:Chess?

Forgive me, I must laugh. :lol:

Since when did they start handing out chess championships via lottery? Forget whether or not it's tough to drive around an oval - the only thing that matters these days in NASCAR is where you happen to be when the last yellow is thrown. 499 laps of filler for the commercials, then a sprint to the end.
So what you are saying is that you've never watched the Daytona 500 or Talladega Races! #-o

Im not a huge NASCAR Fan but I watch it occasionally to keep tabs on Marcos Ambrose - frankly the road course races and super short track races are the only ones I genuinely enjoy.
"In downforce we trust"

bhall
bhall

Before this turns into a flat-out war of "F1 is better than NASCAR"/"No, you elitists don't understand..." may I say that I'm just surprised Kimi is having to come up with his own team - ICE1, same as his WRC team, right? - to race trucks. I'd have thought there would be at least one truck team owner out there willing to take a chance on a recent F1 World Champion.

Or maybe Kimi wants it this way. Who knows?

sstanescu
sstanescu

Guys, lets' forget for a second the NASCAR vs F1 vs WRC discussions. Kimi looked "special", a different kind of racer, not the one which wants 20 championships and inflated by sponsorship. What if is simply having fun in his own way? Money shall be no problem for a while, at least. Maybe he simply wants to taste something else and to have parties with his buddies on a different continent?

djos

No one saying NASCAR is better than F1 (at least I hope not!), what is being said by those of us who actually watch it is that it is bloody difficult and if he does make it to sprint cup level it won't be a walk in the park for him.
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

BE should get an oval race and end this discussion of NASCAR better than F1. Make it a wholesome championship with every type of track, circuit, street and oval.