Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sknguy
sknguy

Re: Renault R31

Just to clarify for myself is this correct?

PlatinumZealot

Check the FEE thread.. like 50 pages on this car.but yes you are correct. the trajectory changes with speed of the car, rpm, shape of the leading edge of the floor, exhaust pipe direciton and shizzle.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

bot6
bot6

I think he means the exhaust pipe itself, not the gases.

No, they are not routed inside the tub. They go forwards right under the radiators, just outside the tub, then at the end they turn sharply outwards. There's pictures of the car without the sidepod covers in the FEE thread I think.

sknguy
sknguy

Sorry I'll check the other thread. And yes thanks, I was curious about the piping itself actually. Didn't realize they would bend it into sharper turns.

Lindz

Exhaust pipe under radiator:

ringo

what's interesting is that the pipe diameter narrows showing that the want to accelerate the exhaust gas to increase it's speed.
Looks like it goes from 4 inches or so to 2.5.
For Sure!!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

First, we're only seeing this one angle so we don't know that the taper is a fitment thing where the width gets wider. But it may be that they are indeed tapering the pipe volume to keep velocity up as the exhaust gases cool.

wesley123
wesley123

ringo wrote:what's interesting is that the pipe diameter narrows showing that the want to accelerate the exhaust gas to increase it's speed.
I think it is just the transition from the regular circular shape to the shape in which it meets the outside world. Wouldnt such narrowing increase the pressure over the pipe reducing its torque?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

It does have a smaller cross section at the tip.
There is a negative effect on the engine, but i guess it's the price they pay for increased gas velocity.

The gases could be bordering on transonic speeds. 8)
crazy stuff happens in that speed regime. :lol:

It's also possible the elyptical area is the same as the circular one, but the increased speed idea sounds interesting and would benefit what they are doing.
For Sure!!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Ringo

I've followed your fascination with the Renault exhaust and admit that I see it's design much as you do. It's interesting to me how reliable the performance from it has been thru testing and the first race. Contrast that with McLaren for instance, and all the other teams that have been playing design of the week.

You read some of these posts where they get into thermal mapping of the exhaust gases, etc and people act as if this thing is a mystery or that it cannot work at all. Yet it has proven itself to be not at all finicky.

I'm beginning to think that this exhaust solution is a real game changer and easier to replicate than some of the other exhaust solutions such as the RB one. Ross Brawn seems to think so too. I wonder if we can see it next on a Mercedes? They are unsuccessful enough to need to make a big change early ..
Last edited by BreezyRacer on 05 Apr 2011, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

There's alot of heat shielding around the pipe in the sidepods, I'll try and find the unshielded one because it's alot thinner.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Owen.C93 wrote:There's alot of heat shielding around the pipe in the sidepods, I'll try and find the unshielded one because it's alot thinner.
Yes, any more pics would be quite welcome!

raymondu999

Wow! Apparently the ignition overrun means that the cars use 10% more fuel http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... more-fuel/
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

PlatinumZealot

An extra 40 pounds of fuel at the start of the race then. By calculations if the overrun is used constantly, by halfway through the race the cars have 20lbs of fuel more than Non Overrun users.

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

ringo wrote:what's interesting is that the pipe diameter narrows showing that the want to accelerate the exhaust gas to increase it's speed.
No way is that 4 inches..

Racing Green in 2028