Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Renault R31

BreezyRacer wrote:Renault sure seems to have the best aero department these days, excluding RB. Those things are a true work of art. The bottom end plate is just such a wonder ..
Best by what criteria? Performance-wise they are behind McLaren as well as RedBull.

manchild
manchild

timbo wrote:Best by what criteria? Performance-wise they are behind McLaren as well as RedBull.
Don't forget that RB and Mclaren have 3 world champions among their drivers, while Renault has reactivated midfielder with long career without a win, and a freshman with his second season in F1.

If NH qualified 6th, with 4 WDC infront of him, in his 2nd qualifying after such a long abstinence from F1, RB or Mclaren champions would most probably achieved pole with R31.

Without a top driver in it, we'll never know how good that car really is.

timbo
timbo

manchild wrote:If NH qualified 6th, with 4 WDC infront of him, in his 2nd qualifying after such a long abstinence from F1, RB or Mclaren champions would most probably achieved pole with R31.
The gap is too big. Yeah, they are probably faster than Ferrari (factoring Alonso), but Macca and RBR are out of reach.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

We all seriously miss Robert in that car. He'd be in the gap between the RB's/McLaren's and Ferrari.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

timbo wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:Renault sure seems to have the best aero department these days, excluding RB. Those things are a true work of art. The bottom end plate is just such a wonder ..
Best by what criteria? Performance-wise they are behind McLaren as well as RedBull.
Well that is just my subjective opinion, based on the innovations vs resources and whether what they change works or not. Nothing against McLaren, but look how many times they have made changes and had to revert back. It happens a lot there. Red Bull almost always achieves the performance gains from their changes, as do Renault, IMO. It's one thing to emulate what works for other teams for the conventional views of aero. Renault though are innovating and developing good parts week in and week out. That's what I base my opinion on.

Carlo's
Carlo's

Different rear outlet:

raymondu999

I can't get my head around the fact that that engine cover covers the same engine as Red Bull's, which used the bazooka exhaust in testing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

raymondu999 wrote:I can't get my head around the fact that that engine cover covers the same engine as Red Bull's, which used the bazooka exhaust in testing.
Not that big a deal .. Renault dump the heat below the beam wing .. Red Bull dump above the beam wing.

raymondu999

I know, but there are angles where you can't see the over-the-diffuser exhaust on the R31
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

volarchico
volarchico

Any good images of the R31's underside from the "Rudderless Russian's" (BBC's nickname for Petrov) airtime?

scarlet
scarlet

Looks like Renault are silly quick consistently off the start/with traction out of corners again, just like the mid noughties - any explanation?

manchild
manchild

After almost two decades since Senna's tragic crash, Petrov's incident shown that steering can suffer fatal damage from quite mild shocks of the chassis. Senna's chassis was broken/ripped from the impact in concrete wall, Petrov's just severely stressed and it resulted in steering fatigue.

volarchico
volarchico

I'm not sure I'd consider that "mild shock"? He was clearly launched a few meters in the air before slapping back down onto the tarmac. A vertical load that I doubt the were designing for (unlike side impacts, cornering g-forces, etc).

manchild
manchild

volarchico wrote:I'm not sure I'd consider that "mild shock"? He was clearly launched a few meters in the air before slapping back down onto the tarmac. A vertical load that I doubt the were designing for (unlike side impacts, cornering g-forces, etc).
Mild relative to Senna's - that's what I had in mind.

Fil

That depends on when you believe Senna's to have broken..
But we're digressing.

Renault have really nailed their starts this season and have mighty impressive traction out of slow corners. Watch for them in Monaco & Hungary :wink:
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).