Pescarolo's Wobbly Bobbly Wings

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Fil

Pescarolo's Wobbly Bobbly Wings

How amazing is the Pescarolo 01's updated rear wing!

I remember some on here querying the aero effectiveness of the golf ball-effect on bodywork, well this must be the closest we've seen to that, just in reverse.

Source:Racecar Engineering
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

wesley123
wesley123

Re: Pescarolo's Wobbly Bobbly Wings

Are there some more pics of this pescarolo? It seems the whole rear end is changed. looks pretty cool though althought its purpose is kinda weird.

Further I am really hating this car becaue of its name, the car itself is beuatiful but the team behind the car went away in such a weird and disgusting way that i am just hating the name.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Giblet
Giblet

The humpback whale as inspiration?

It's been researched that the lumps on the leading edges of humpback whale fins allow them to go to a much higher angle before stalling than if they didn't have them.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

What's the point of em?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

wesley123
wesley123

Mike fuller(mulsannes corner) reported on these that their main function would be to add energy to the flow reducing flow seperation. This would be useful for wings with an high AoA, but on Le Mans the wings are far from having flow seperation so I dont see the use of it. They might use some weird sort of wing profile i guess.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Is it just me or does that wing look like it's angled to generate lift as opposed to downforce? :?

wesley123
wesley123

I agree with that, that is probably the point where they use really weird wing profiles which would stall without these 'buttons' on the top. Also note how high the gurney is.

Giblet
Giblet

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

bhall
bhall

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Pescarolo Rear wing - legal for F1?

I think there's a 100mm minimum radius requirement for rear wing elements so I doubt it'd be legal.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Richard
Richard

bhallg2k wrote:
Frightening context.
Fascinating facts, worrying conclusion. However discussing that is a surefire way to get the thread locked.

warmasice
warmasice

The car looks awesome in your link 8)

TURU
TURU

Looking at these bubbles and serrations as well ... they will speed up the airflow, won't they (venturi :?: )?

A bit like here:

wesley123
wesley123

why would you even want to speed up the flow over your wing? this will simply reduce downforce due to pressure etc.

What it does is energizing the flow reducing flow seperation for higher AoA's this device on the Pescarolo is probably used with weird wing profiles to reduce overall drag. Note how the flap seems to be adjusted to create lift and on the main wings trailing edge it seems to have an edge goig from an upward sweep to a flat sweep.

Holm86

I know there has been some study in the humpback whales fin design which has proven to be really aerodynamic or hydrodymanic or what ever you call it.

The humpback has alot of "bumps" along the leading edge of the fin. This helps the flow to stay attached.

Could this be what they are trying to achieve??
Last edited by Holm86 on 25 Apr 2011, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.