Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Renault R31

bhallg2k wrote:Image

The brake ducts appear to be turned backwards or something. Or are my eyes simply playing tricks on me?
Fine mesh to protect from debris probably.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Formula None
Formula None

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Formula None wrote:
Battery:
That says Williams F1 on it.
Your right, I just realized that I posted all that in the wrong thread. BBC did a little presentation on the Williams parts for the Chinese GP. I'll move it.

kalinka
kalinka

bhallg2k wrote:he brake ducts appear to be turned backwards or something. Or are my eyes simply playing tricks on me?
If you mean you can't see them...the reason is that they're hiding behind the front wing elements. You can see only the top of the duct above the wing and below the lower whisbone.
Here's a better pic (already posted here ):

There's a smaller duct higher above, but it's not doing all the cooling, Scarbs said it's aided by that larger inlet behind the FW. It seems to me that it's a quite good drag reduction idea...

LotusF1
LotusF1

kalinka wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:he brake ducts appear to be turned backwards or something. Or are my eyes simply playing tricks on me?
If you mean you can't see them...the reason is that they're hiding behind the front wing elements. You can see only the top of the duct above the wing and below the lower whisbone.
Here's a better pic (already posted here ):

There's a smaller duct higher above, but it's not doing all the cooling, Scarbs said it's aided by that larger inlet behind the FW. It seems to me that it's a quite good drag reduction idea...
drag reduction? huh?

kalinka
kalinka

LotusF1 wrote:drag reduction? huh?
Why? Teams constantly vary brake duct shape and size, and not just because of the different cooling requirements, but also for reducing drag. It's quite a draggy thing. If the main inlet (duct) sits behind the FW, it's not directly exposed to high speed air, and that indeed can reduce drag, but sure it can interfere with air passing the FW, and causing turbulence.

marcush.
marcush.

the positioning of a brake duct is also potentially robbing front downforce ..as it blocks the flow coming from the FW

kalinka
kalinka

marcush. wrote:the positioning of a brake duct is also potentially robbing front downforce ..as it blocks the flow coming from the FW
+1, Is it possibble that they done it intentionally to block the airflow coming from FW? I mean if they don't place a duct there, the flow could interact further back with the FEE airflow , which is coming out almost the opposite way as the FW flow...?
Maybe they must have block that area anyway, so placing a duct there would mean a smart thinking....just guessing...

bot6
bot6

I think it's more about trying to release the brake heat in the wheel rim rather than in the surrounding air, in order to give more heat to the tires.
The air coming in the big (outside side) vent is already moving down (pushed down by the tire sidewall) when it enters the drum, so it spins inside the drum along with the brake discs instead of just being scooped in and pushed out. As it spins inside the drum, it distributes the brake heat more evenly inside the drum, which helps with consistent heat transfer to the rim and tire.

Just a theory, but it seems to explain the design.

That big vent is hidden by the rim when it's on, so it might also be a way to prevent bits of rubber from the other cars from getting in the braking system.

Formula None
Formula None

raymondu999

I don't think it would be too much, or maybe they'd have inverted the livery colors like they did the racing suits in Malaysia
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shamikaze
shamikaze

Redmondo wrote:Does anyone know what the significance of paint color (black Renault) is on cooling?
I'd say a black color on the inside and white on the outside might help just that very little bit, but I doubt it make any material difference given the total amount of air and heat in and around that area.

Dark-inside to absorb heat into the material (ie CF)
White-outside to reflect external heat trying to get in.

HampusA

As far as i know, what color of a car has very little to do with how much heat it produces if we are talking sun light heat.

Can´t remember the name but it´s perfectly possible for a pitch black car to stay cooler then a white one.
The truth will come out...

raymondu999

Just thought that one through carefully - could the dark color actually be helping to radiate the heat away? I mean, the engine would be pretty hot - it would be quite a bit hotter than the air immediately surrounding the car, I'd imagine.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marekk
marekk

Dark standard paint absorbs infrared quicker then light one in general, but on the other hand radiates more heat, so in the end both arrive at roughly the same temp IMO.
There are many very effective infrared suppressing paint's on the market (usually black by the way - that's why your windscreen appears darker than normal glass).

marekk
marekk

raymondu999 wrote:Just thought that one through carefully - could the dark color actually be helping to radiate the heat away? I mean, the engine would be pretty hot - it would be quite a bit hotter than the air immediately surrounding the car, I'd imagine.
Thermal conductivity of carbon fibre in normal to fibre axis direction is low, epoxy resins even lower, so i don't expect paint color to be of any signification.
On the other hand graphene has one of biggest thermal conductivities known, 20 times better then aluminium and is very good at radiating the heat - but not sure if it's on FIA allowed materials list.