LeMans 24 hours 2011

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
HampusA

Re: LeMans 24 hours 2011

Highcroft is out, due to Honda because of the disasters.
The truth will come out...

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91461

Actually more like Highcroft can't bring money to the table. After losing Patron and all...

WhiteBlue

LeMans 2011 - Qualifying and Race

http://www.f1technical.net/news/16356
The new Audi R18 proved to be on the pace at Le Mans as André Lotterer put the #2 car on pole position for this weekend's Le Mans. Audi #1 is in second place, followed by two Peugeots, another Audi and the final official Peugeot 908 in 6th place.

In the final stages of qualifying, neither of the top 2 Audis were really threatened as Peugeot declared 15 minutes earlier that they had closed off qualifying and would just test a few more settings for the race.

Tom Kristensen however, the slowest of the Audi R18s was unsatisfied and went out for an attempt for pole position, or at least to get ahead of the 2 Peugeots ahead of him. The 8 times winner however overcooked it and ended up in the gravel trap in the Porsche Esses.

In LMP2, car #26 of Signatech Nissan topped the rankings with a 14th best time overall.

In 29th position is the first GTEpro, the BMW M3 GT #55. The fastest GTEam is #61 Ferrari F430 by AF Corse SRL.
The qualifying was very enjoyable. The first six cars were covered by half a second. The Peugeots and the Audis are very evenly matched. This bodes for a thrilling race.

None of the top LMP1 cars can afford to have a bad pit stop or even an incident on track. They would fall hopelessly behind. So it looks like the winner will be the car that runs like clockwork without technical problems and driver error.

I look forward to a thrilling race.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: LeMans 2011 - Qualifying and Race

On Eurosport last night, Martin Haven said tnat if it was F1 at Spa, the top 6 would be covered by about 2 tenths and the diffrene from P1 to P2 would be 0.009 seconds or something simmilar. Thats about 34cm with some quick maths in my head.

Looking forward to the race, as i feel it will be more like an Endurance Sprint race than what F1 is now a Sprint Endurace race.

If they carry on for the 24 hours at even 2 seconds slower than Quali pace, i think they will easily beat the record number of laps completed, whitch is 397 held jointly by last years winners (Mike Rockenfeller, Timo Bernhard & Romain Dumas) and the 1971 winners (Helmut Marko & Gijs van Lennep).

As for Audi vs Peugoet, im in Team Peaugoet here and would like to see Anthony Davidson win in the number 7 car.

Pandamasque

Re: LeMans 2011 - Qualifying and Race

I have feeling that under such immense pressure the works cars may trip over each other, or worse, traffic. On the other hand the team managers can be smart and use the old hare and turtle tactics. In case anything foes wrong Peugeot have an insurance-car #10 that's likely to provide a good back up and run with with better fuel economy.

The GTE race is predictably good. Yes BMW are clearly faster (too fast, considering how many waivers they have), but I just don't see them running away with it just like that.

Surprisingly the LMP2 class looks very close as well. LMP1-petrol too.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Race has started.

Both Astons in early trouble the 009 car being pushed off the track, and the 007 Aston beached in the gravel.

Outside best is Rebellion Racing-Toyota.

Also looking like LMP1 will be even more closer next year with Nissan and Toyota announcing they will enter factory teams in 2012. Toyota are best based for a LMP1 programme as they will use the old F1 factory in Cologne.

wesley123
wesley123

Audi number 9 just crashed incredibly hard trying to overtake one of the Risi's. Alot of reporters where behind the wall but I believe no one was hit. McNish is okay too, an unuasual error by him.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Mr Alcatraz

Stupid move by McNish I'glad he is ok. That was very close to being fatal for McNish, and the camera man that almost got clocked by one of huis tyres. I guess we should blame the Ferrari for getting run up the @ss at the apex of a corner :roll:
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 11 Jun 2011, 16:10, edited 3 times in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Audi car number 3 i belive it was.

Horrid crash, Hope McNish is all fine after that crash.

wesley123
wesley123

Either way it is clear Le Mans gotta fix their track side safety, reporters etc. there could easily get hurt, it is a wonder they came out safe.

wesley123
wesley123

ESPImperium wrote:Audi car number 3 i belive it was.

Indeed, read it incorectly lol. Also, ironicly in the audi advertisement later it was the number 3 driving.

Luxury racing is now trying to repair the car, they came out pretty well though.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

wesley123 wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Audi car number 3 i belive it was.

Indeed, read it incorectly lol. Also, ironicly in the audi advertisement later it was the number 3 driving.

Luxury racing is now trying to repair the car, they came out pretty well though.
Worst bit was the wheel that went into the air. Almost hit someone.

I can see more aftety requirements coming onto the LMP cars like the wheel teathers that are on all F1 cars. However we have seen the new twin teathers being ripped off this year.

Pierce89

Wow! Mcnish nearly took out the crowd. Effin' crazy.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

wesley123
wesley123

Would be better if they had guard fences there, then the wheel wouldnt have went there either. Imo the drivers are better protected there and the wheels are inside covers, so they have much less space to go, when it lets go it already lost enough energy to cause any real harm.