Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marekk
marekk

Re: Renault R31

BreezyRacer wrote:Well the exhaust looks the same as the pics on page 85. Note again, the crossover pipe incorporated into the exhaust. Not your normal F1 exhaust ..
What do you think, what's possible gains can this connection of exhaust pipes give to R31 ?

Boost
Boost

marekk wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:Well the exhaust looks the same as the pics on page 85. Note again, the crossover pipe incorporated into the exhaust. Not your normal F1 exhaust ..
What do you think, what's possible gains can this connection of exhaust pipes give to R31 ?
Didn't think you needed a crossover or link pipe with a flat plane v8. The two halves behave as two individual 4 cylinder units.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Boost wrote:
marekk wrote:
Didn't think you needed a crossover or link pipe with a flat plane v8. The two halves behave as two individual 4 cylinder units.
It COULD be that they use the pipe to balance pulsations from left and right exits .. I don't know. A WELL PLACED crossover pipe can extend the torque range of a motor, usually at the expense of peak HP. It might even make it more fuel efficient. Of course that's a very general thing for me to say and only Renault know what they are up to with this. But it has to be the only car on the grid with a crossover pipe.

Harvey
Harvey

Firstly, how could they get away with a X-over pipe if they're only allowed one exit per bank of cylinders? Secondly, why would a X-over pipe have a number of slotted holes in the top of it? Thirdly, have you actually seen that it IS in fact a pipe that goes all the way under the chassis connecting both runs of exhaust, or are members of this forum jumping wildly to a false conclusion, again?

Ever considered that it could just be a bracket to hold the end of the pipe steady relative to the leading edge of the floor...?

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Harvey wrote:Firstly, how could they get away with a X-over pipe if they're only allowed one exit per bank of cylinders? Secondly, why would a X-over pipe have a number of slotted holes in the top of it? Thirdly, have you actually seen that it IS in fact a pipe that goes all the way under the chassis connecting both runs of exhaust, or are members of this forum jumping wildly to a false conclusion, again?

Ever considered that it could just be a bracket to hold the end of the pipe steady relative to the leading edge of the floor...?
Damn! Sorry but I was only pointing what I saw in the pic. Good catch on the slots so I guess it couldn't be a crossover pipe, and I wasn't aware that I was suggesting an illegal layout. Most likely like you say, a brace.

Pierce89

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:If Bobby Kubica was in the seat they would be consistently on the podium right now. I don't think Petrov got that much better... I just think he has a less competitive teamate to challenge him. Kubica was always signifcantly further up the order than petrov last year... I dont think this is a secret to renault though... Maybe.... (just a thought) they should've given Grossjean a shot at the seat this year... he seems to be doing very well on the pirelli tires in gp2. I like heidfeld but he's nothing but an average driver... A decent update and a driver with really good talent (Hamilton, Alonso, Kubica) and this thing will win a race.
you do know that out of 07 08 & 09, 08 was the only year Kubica had more points?right?I think Kubby is probably better, but not by that much.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

PlatinumZealot

Just want to make this clear.. that thing is NOT a cross pipe. It is merely a support for the exhaust.

Right click, view image, then hold control button and roll the mouse wheel to zoom in:

You see not a continuous seam weld, but actually intermittent welds joining the pipe to the exhaust - This is proof that there is no sealing of anything. Next, up that same supporting pipe has slotted perforations on its top surface - no exhaust pipe would be perforated like that. This thing is clearly just a support brace or some kind of multifunction housing.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

adrianjordan

Have to say they've ruined the livery by adding over-sized Lotus logos to the sides of the car...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Carlo's
Carlo's

adrianjordan wrote:Have to say they've ruined the livery by adding over-sized Lotus logos to the sides of the car...

madly
madly

Some HiRes photos:

madly
madly

adrianjordan wrote:Have to say they've ruined the livery by adding over-sized Lotus logos to the sides of the car...
I have to agree. It WAS one of the best looking cars on the grid.

adrianjordan

madly wrote:
I have to agree. It WAS one of the best looking cars on the grid.
I'm sat here thinking "We get it guys, you want to be called Lotus".
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Carlo's
Carlo's

JMN
JMN

bot6
bot6

Looks like some kind of fuel leak... Hope Nick is OK.
ESPNF1 live feed wrote:Renault says: "Nick's car catching fire was not scheduled, cause being investigated"
Seriously? Not scheduled? :shock:

EDIT: More from Renault:
ESPNF1 live feed wrote:Renault says: "Right hand exhaust temp was very high from when Nick left pits. It was thought to have been a sensor problem. Rather evidently, it wasn't"