Dallara F308

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Scania
Scania

Dallara F308

When I watch Macau F3 this year, I saw that all cars are Dallara F308(few guys us F305), but why some cars got shark fin & v-shape conse, some cars haven't?

Belatti
Belatti

Re: Dallara F308

Have no idea, there is not much info in the Dallara webpage...
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

silente
silente

F3 is an open series...Rules allow to do nearly whatever you want on cars, so every team could develop its own components.

prepel
prepel

Open Series - is that only the Macau round

gareth25
gareth25

As far as I know its every f3 series. There are rumblings thqt these added development cost on top of the raise in popularity of gp2 is causing the drop off in entrants of the euro series.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

gareth25 wrote:As far as I know its every f3 series. There are rumblings thqt these added development cost on top of the raise in popularity of gp2 is causing the drop off in entrants of the euro series.
You are right there, to the point that Euro F3 could be merged with British F3, have its regulations and costs more tightly controlled ($400,000 per seat for a season per driver) and also for Euro/British F3 to be made into a 10 team 24 car championship (top 4 teams from the previous year run 3 car teams) that competes on 12 tracks worldwide. Rumor has it, if this is the case they will be able to buy their way onto the F1 programme at certain non GP2/GP3 supported tracks like Canada, China, Japan, Singapore and Brazil. Some races would support DTM as well.

I think F3 has every right to be a key stage step to F1, but it needs more numbers and a clear strategic plan for its future success. 2011 is seemingly a key year to see what F3 goes.

Belatti
Belatti

Being an F3 "outsider", I find it quite difficult to get Dallara specs and information about their F308 to F311 chassis.

I would appreciate if somebody can tell me what kind of info does Dallara gives when it sells you an F3 car. Its feasible to get an aeromap? Suspension geometry range of regulation? Component weights?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

DaveW
DaveW

It may be difficult to believe, but neither Euro nor British F3 are spec series. Both Lola & Mygale have designed & built built F3 vehicles in the past few years. Some European national F3 series are fairly tightly constrained, however, to contain costs (I guess).

silente
silente

Dallara has a very good manual for its formula 3 car, but it doesn't say more than just what you strictly need to work on the car. It is really really well done, because without giving away too much numbers, they give you all the stuff you need to setup your car properly.

All the informations like motion ratios, how ride height will change with a turn of push rod adjuster, how toe will change for a turn of toe adjustere etc, are given with exact numbers.

They tell you how you can balance a change in the aerodynamic configuration of front wing, rear wing or ride height with another change (again rear wing, rear wing or ride height), and they also give you some numbers on balance, but nothing on absolute downforce.

They tell you how roll centers, anti effects etc will change changing your suspension points, but they don't tell you where your roll center is...

marcush.
marcush.

Belatti wrote:Being an F3 "outsider", I find it quite difficult to get Dallara specs and information about their F308 to F311 chassis.

I would appreciate if somebody can tell me what kind of info does Dallara gives when it sells you an F3 car. Its feasible to get an aeromap? Suspension geometry range of regulation? Component weights?
I gthink some race lap simulation programmes have the Dallara F3 package available as a an option and logically these must include all the relevant data to produce useful results?